Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm kind of wondering how the heck a "new immigrant (particularly a non-white)" would end up in Vermont in the first place? ...and then complain about cold winters. lol

My information may be outdated by now, but I think there are (or used to be) a lot of Hispanic immigrants who work on the dairy farms, and Jamaican pickers who work seasonally in the orchards (and who knows, maybe some of them stay on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
Burlington has a pretty 'large' African population, if I'm not mistaken...I know there are a few organizations that help refugees. Also, the resorts have a lot of temp international workers, some definitely stay permanently. I've met several from much warmer places and I find it amazing that they liked it that much through the winter!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Horrible winters can be said for most of the northern third of the country. Vermont is no different. Rural can be a good thing. Would you rather have border to border sprawl? Some people prefer rural, nothing wrong with that. VT is not very urban, perhaps you need to choose SOUTHERN New England. As far as not being welcoming to minorities, I think that depends on where you go in the state. Some areas are very close-minded, but that is just about every state. Try this, being a white person and still NOT being totally welcomed in your town. I am experiencing that wheream because the area is so homogenous. I did not grow up here so I may as well have big ears and green skin. That's the way it is in some places. I suggest you find a more urban area.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:56 AM

29 posts, read 48,223 times
Default Love, love L O V E this state!

It sounds as though perhaps this state wasn't the right match for you or maybe your expectations weren't aligned with what we have to offer.

I'd dreamed of living here and raising my family in this lovely state for years. Finally made the move over 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Finding the right place can be hard and I'm sorry to hear that Vermont didn't work out for you. Both Burlington and Winooski are official "refugee" cities and therefore have a fairly high number of non-whites who contribute mightily to the culture in the NW corner of the state. It's unfortunate you may not have had a chance to experience this as it may have made for an easier transition.

As to the weather; well it certainly can be cold and snowy and grey, but if you get out and do your best to enjoy it there's a lot of fun to be had. We ice fish, snowshoe, sled with the kids, hike, etc and bask in the occasional wonder of those bright blue winter skies where the sun seems to shine so brightly and reflect off the snow that you can barely keep your eyes open without shades.

People in Vermont may sometimes take a bit longer than folks elsewhere to open up, but they eventually will and can end up being friends that you feel as though you've known your whole life.

Best of luck to you wherever you find yourself. And try to remember that your happiness and serenity will ultimately come from within you. Your surroundings and those around you can then only benefit from your kindness and love.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Bingo! There's a Jack for every Jill.
Or a Jack for every Jack and a Jill for every Jill. Equal time!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
The OP has posted a grand total of 4 times on CD and each one of those posts was a Vermont bash. While I am sorry that VT wasn't an ideal match for him/her, why dredge it back up (unsolicited) if one has moved on to a happier place?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The OP has posted a grand total of 4 times on CD and each one of those posts was a Vermont bash. While I am sorry that VT wasn't an ideal match for him/her, why dredge it back up (unsolicited) if one has moved on to a happier place?
I think we've all been there a time or two. You go somewhere, feel you're treated badly and you want to vent.
If a waiter treats you badly, you don't tip. If you feel wronged by a whole state, you come here. I'm not offended. I'm guilty of using a broad brush based on unique experiences too.
Vermont is not a horrible place, but her experiences here obviously were.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:28 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Where in VT were you though? Burlington is great. I think the traffic will increase once the Vermonter reroute is completed. Montpelier is small but good as well. Eventually I'll probably go to Brattleboro.

The only real complaint I have about the area is probably beyond its reach. Much of the southern part of the state is a combination of state and federal parks. I wish there were more Burlingtons further south. How about doing something more downstream from the shoreline of Lake Champlain maybe across from Ft Ticonderoga. Otherwise most access is on 89, 91 or rt 7

Old 12-24-2014, 01:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
One Burlington is too much.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:18 PM

32 posts, read 64,703 times
I love Vermont and own a second home there. But I wont retire there because of the taxes. They are just too high!

Will be picking up a moving to CO when I can. At least their taxation policies are sensible on retired people with a decent income. Although we love 99% of it, VT is just a wee bit too socialized for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont