Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 07:13 AM

809 posts, read 997,694 times

Advertisements

Take a master gardener's course and evaluate the guys. It is reported that men who garden are emotionally stable.

Volunteer at your local school, the nearest public access TV facility or an age-appropriate group like the area's Young Professionals group, the local nursing home, the local Audubon Society chapter or the nearest country club. Don't look for friends; be a friend.

If you want to build a relationship based on alcohol, go to bars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 PM

167 posts, read 246,985 times
Once you are out of school, making friends is hard everywhere. Co-workers can become great friends (after all, you do spend a lot of time with them!!), as well as neighbors! Otherwise, get out of your house and do what you like (sports, bars, coffee shop, community events, volunteering, etc) and you will meet people

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
Quote:
Vermont is the most boring place on earth.
One of the more insane comments made on this Forum, and the competition for this distinction is quite fierce.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 AM

167 posts, read 246,985 times
I know right, and I heard it too from a guy that was looking at me in the most pervert way at work!
If nature bores you just go away and never come back lol!

I've been having the best hikes hopping on and off the Missisquoi Valley rail trail!!!!! Everything is so beautiful right now!!!
I'm SO happy we made the move!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:25 AM

557 posts, read 606,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1031 View Post
I was living in Vermont for a year, and let's tell you that it was the most horrible experience of my life. On the contrary to what they claim, it is one of the worst place you can live in the US. It is a poor state, the weather in winter is awful, the roads and other infrastructure are so poor, and the people are often into themselves and ignorant. It is a rural state, not developed at all, and it seems the local people want it so, and afraid of change, technology, development and openness.
If you are a new immigrant (particularly a non-white), keep away from Vermont. It is definitely not a place for you. Diversity is almost zero there, and you wish to find someone to talk to!
If you like to be isolated, do not need people, afraid of a diverse society, afraid of development, do not care about modern life and only enjoy of being in a remote natural reserve, then choose Vermont to live, otherwise really keep distance.
I could not survive there, and could not wait to get out! When I had an opportunity, you could not believe how fast I left that crappy state, and I assure you I never get even close to that forgotten land.
Thanks God I could escape after a year, otherwise I was psycho by now!

Sounds like utopia to me!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Once you are out of school, making friends is hard everywhere.
That really is the truth, everywhere, and I think folks take a long time to accept it. We spend the first 18-25 years of our lives in school, thrust into relationships with large pools of people, so we make friends easily.

Once you are out of school, it gets a lot tougher.

Same goes for dating.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:09 AM

189 posts, read 301,439 times
Quote:
It is a rural state, not developed at all, and it seems the local people want it so, and afraid of change, technology, development and openness.
If you are a new immigrant (particularly a non-white), keep away from Vermont. It is definitely not a place for you. Diversity is almost zero there, and you wish to find someone to talk to!
If you like to be isolated, do not need people, afraid of a diverse society, afraid of development, do not care about modern life and only enjoy of being in a remote natural reserve, then choose Vermont to live, otherwise really keep distance.
It's clear from your post that you don't like rural places and you desire constant change and development. That's fine. But why come to a rural, undeveloped state that many people enjoy for this very reason, and then complain that it is rural and undeveloped? Do you seriously believe that everyplace should be the same, and that people who like rural places should not be permitted to have them or live in them because YOU don't like them? Your tone is very accusatory, as if to suggest that the state and its people should have reconfigured themselves to suit your wishes. No one forced you to come to a rural place. Most people who have sought to live in rural New England are not "afraid" of all the things you've listed; they just prefer something else. It seems you're very determined to live in the kind of place you enjoy, but absolutely intolerant of others' right to do the same.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 14,068 times
To each his or her own, but if you don't do your research before you move, you can only blame yourself. Many people move to Vermont from New York city or other large cities, so it's not that they hate diversity or technology. It is more like, been there, done that, now want to experience a different way of life. The fact that Vermont has an unusually good Internet service is strong evidence against the state being technologically backward.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:26 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
Quote:
I was living in Vermont for a year, and let's tell you that it was the most horrible experience of my life. On the contrary to what they claim, it is one of the worst place you can live in the US. It is a poor state, the weather in winter is awful, the roads and other infrastructure are so poor, and the people are often into themselves and ignorant. It is a rural state, not developed at all, and it seems the local people want it so, and afraid of change, technology, development and openness.
I could not survive there, and could not wait to get out! When I had an opportunity, you could not believe how fast I left that crappy state, and I assure you I never get even close to that forgotten land.
Thanks God I could escape after a year, otherwise I was psycho by now!
sounds like a dream come true.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM

639 posts, read 579,226 times
I know, right. Heaven on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont