Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One Burlington is too much.
How is it too much? It's a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
How is it too much? It's a great place.
A lot of Vermonters feel very differently about that place.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A lot of Vermonters feel very differently about that place.
Can you get a bit specific? I don't live there personally but I have been there a number of times. I think if there is anything wrong it is simply not letting other parts of the state develop as much. Competition would drive up wages across the state if it was allowed.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 AM

35 posts, read 42,803 times
I've been living in NW Vermont now for 20+ years. Moved from NYS to follow a job. It's a beautiful place for about 4-5 months out of the year. June-October. I am approaching retirement and there is no way that I will stay here if I can possibly help it. High taxes, lousy weather for most of the year, no breaks for seniors living on a fixed income, and liberal politics that constantly offend my sensibilities.
To each his own, but it's not for me.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Can you get a bit specific? I don't live there personally but I have been there a number of times. I think if there is anything wrong it is simply not letting other parts of the state develop as much. Competition would drive up wages across the state if it was allowed.
Many of us don't like the crowds, traffic, sprawl and development in general, besides a government that wants to micromanage people's lives, higher taxes, and outrageous real estate prices. There may be more jobs in Burlington but they don't make up for the high cost of living generally. Some of us consider the best thing about most of Vermont to be the lack of crowds and development. If people like development and urban living there's NY and MA nearby, once you bring that to VT you can't get rid of it...

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 12-28-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
I moved here from NYC specifically to get away from crowds, traffic, etc...I go to Burlington once in a while but it drains everything out of me after an hour or so. It's okay for what it is, but definitely would not want to see more of that in this state.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I think we've all been there a time or two. You go somewhere, feel you're treated badly and you want to vent.
If a waiter treats you badly, you don't tip. If you feel wronged by a whole state, you come here. I'm not offended. I'm guilty of using a broad brush based on unique experiences too.
Vermont is not a horrible place, but her experiences here obviously were.
While not offended, I find it peculiar that all 4 posts over 9 months are flat out slams, no other activity. There's venting and then there's holding a grudge.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Where in VT were you though? Burlington is great. I think the traffic will increase once the Vermonter reroute is completed. Montpelier is small but good as well. Eventually I'll probably go to Brattleboro.

The only real complaint I have about the area is probably beyond its reach. Much of the southern part of the state is a combination of state and federal parks. I wish there were more Burlingtons further south. How about doing something more downstream from the shoreline of Lake Champlain maybe across from Ft Ticonderoga. Otherwise most access is on 89, 91 or rt 7
Thank goodness there aren't! There are plenty of other states with wall-to-wall sprawl. Come to Long Island.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkMTB View Post
I love Vermont and own a second home there. But I wont retire there because of the taxes. They are just too high!

Will be picking up a moving to CO when I can. At least their taxation policies are sensible on retired people with a decent income. Although we love 99% of it, VT is just a wee bit too socialized for me.
NH is also more favorable for retirees than VT. CO has a dry climate, the sun is far too strong (elevation)/hot for me, though.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH is also more favorable for retirees than VT. CO has a dry climate, the sun is far too strong (elevation)/hot for me, though.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with the NHers live free or die nutbag libertarian types. They exist in VT, but they're more reasonable.

If I can't retire back to VT (my ideal choice), I'll be going back to Wisconsin. Hopefully near Madison, maybe Sauk Prairie or Spring Green. Possibly LaCrosse if I can't afford that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont