Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 PM

150 posts, read 217,643 times

Advertisements

RecentlyMoved:
Thanks for responding with the novella. Of course, as I consider leaving this state in which I lived for five score (plus) decades, I spend a lot of time thinking about the unknowns. Your post gave me a bit to think about.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
RecentlyMoved:
Thanks for responding with the novella. Of course, as I consider leaving this state in which I lived for five score (plus) decades, I spend a lot of time thinking about the unknowns. Your post gave me a bit to think about.
My pleasure. If I could offer anyone a piece of advice on making such a drastic move, I would highly recommend renting long term first - like maybe a month or 2 to see what it's really like day to day. This may not paint the whole picture, but it would give you more insight than a visit for 1 week.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:13 PM

168 posts, read 285,871 times
Default Newness wears off

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
My pleasure. If I could offer anyone a piece of advice on making such a drastic move, I would highly recommend renting long term first - like maybe a month or 2 to see what it's really like day to day. This may not paint the whole picture, but it would give you more insight than a visit for 1 week.
I heartily second that suggestion. Visit for a week, and everything can seem new and interesting. Live there for a month (or two), and the newness starts wearing off... You need to be able to see what it's like to go grocery shopping on a regular basis; to deal with local traffic; to see if hobby clubs or sports groups actually meet (and are fun to be with) or exist in name only on tourist brochures; etc.

Maybe all those things will turn out to be even better than you expected... or maybe you'll find that the Harris Teeter in Asheville ain't so different from the Price Chopper in South Burlington, after all!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
A friend of mine was discussing this on Facebook the other day and he isn't as impressed. Sure, those of us who live here know how great it is to be here, but it's questionable how much weight you can put on one study by one moving company. I'm not sure the census data support what the study says.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
I'm in NC too, same weather as you posted, but check out the forecast for tomorrow and the next day.

NC has no appeal to me other than most things in my area (the triangle) are newer. I thought that would be enough for me, but it's not. Maybe one day if I become wealthy, I will have 2 homes. One in New England and another in a warmer climate for 3 months out of the year. 6 months of the year in the south it's like the amazon jungle, with as many bugs. The south is just not for me.

NC has no appeal to me, either. I don't see the draw. The politics and extreme religion, along with the things you mentioned, not only do not attract me, they repel me.

That VT is drawing new comers, does not shock me. That state is so incredibly beautiful every season of the year! I am glad that one of my kids goes to college their! We turn every pick up and delivery into a mini vacation.

I wouldn't mind spending a month out of the year - perhaps February - someplace warmer than Northern Ohio, which is where I live currently.

Vermont has art, culture and natural beauty that I find irresistible.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
Sovertennis, I have a sister who lives in NC and LOVES it. I would recommend you consider a couple of things:

1. Live above 3,500 feet, and you won't have the humidity and heat problem.

2. If you want to be in the company of good and liberal expats (mostly from Florida), look around western NC. Do some research on how active Moral Mondays is in any community you consider. The more active they are, the more liberal the community. Asheville is the hub for NC liberalism, I would say.

3. You will occasionally get snowacanes. She's been through two. They shouldn't bother you, but beware the Floridian behind the wheel in that other car.

She moved there when it was part of the big black area our religious sect had denominated "the No Mission area." Made it easy for her to apostasize and never look back. Staunch Free Will Baptist country, back then. No smoking or drinking. Just the occasional dog down a neighbor's well in the course of an argument.

As she got into the community, retail grocers told her that they'd really get a business boost if the county stopped being dry. She organized people and it took two years against a fair amount of out-of state money opposing them, but they turned it wet.

If you are looking for a really pleasant intentional community with co-operative housing, you'll want to check out Selo which started as either a Quaker or Unitarian community. You get the house at a really decent price, but you sell it back at the same price. Good people, in my opinion.

Just watch out for the good ole boys network when it comes to real estate.

Did I mention be sure to live above 3,500 feet?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
The main part of West Virginia may be an "outbound" area however where I lived, the "Eastern Panhandle" (Morgan, Berkeley, Jefferson counties) was high "inbound" Everyone was moving there to get out of the DC/Baltimore area and prices and traffic were skyrocketing as was the crime starting to rise.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM

150 posts, read 217,643 times
Thanks to all who responded to my post. Your advise, particularly about getting a rental for a month or two is apt. My wife and I were discussing that just recently--deciding which "month or two" is the issue.

Chuck, we have visited Asheville NC and the surrounding area, which is at elevation and although we liked the area, we are adverse to living anywhere that gets a semblance of a real winter, which AVL does (not "real" like VT, but a sustained period of cold, damp, inclement weather). We've also visited the Upstate area of SC (ie Greenville and environs) which is close enough to the mountains to be convenient for the hiking and biking we like, but which has a milder winter.

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:02 PM

698 posts, read 960,427 times
Quote:
For the second year in a row, Oregon is America's No.1 moving destination -- Fusion

I thought Green Mountain citizens would like to see this...

Even thought it's a net gain of only 325, per capita, it earns VT a spot on the top 5 move to destinations. Congrats Although I don't know if all Vermonters would be happy about this

I'm a little bit confused by this. So these stats are only inbound moves? There's been little population growth for the state so VT must have more moving out than in.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 AM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
Best of luck, sovertennis! Clearly, you can stand heat and humidity far better than I can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont