Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,523,663 times

Advertisements

For the second year in a row, Oregon is America's No.1 moving destination -- Fusion

I thought Green Mountain citizens would like to see this...

Even thought it's a net gain of only 325, per capita, it earns VT a spot on the top 5 move to destinations. Congrats Although I don't know if all Vermonters would be happy about this

Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM

168 posts, read 286,139 times
Very interesting - I clicked on the link to confirm the methodology, and this ranking is in fact based on "net" moves (moves into the state, minus moves out), which is important.

It's particularly interesting that Vermont is an inflow "winner" given that Mass., NY, and most Northeastern states are net outflow states. Also curious that North Dakota, with it's booming resource economy, is one of the highest outflow states - would really be curious to see why that is; based on media stories, I would have expected the exact opposite there.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Very interesting - I clicked on the link to confirm the methodology, and this ranking is in fact based on "net" moves (moves into the state, minus moves out), which is important.

It's particularly interesting that Vermont is an inflow "winner" given that Mass., NY, and most Northeastern states are net outflow states. Also curious that North Dakota, with it's booming resource economy, is one of the highest outflow states - would really be curious to see why that is; based on media stories, I would have expected the exact opposite there.
I found this surprising as well.. shocked not to see TX on the top 5 move to states. Maybe the tide is turning.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM

444 posts, read 582,788 times
people are starting to realize that quality of living is better than having a higher paying stressful job that takes over an hour commute to get to work. if vermont is generating more higher paying jobs then it makes sense people would move there over the likes of MA, NH, and ME. With that being said, the weather during the winter is horrible. Most of the country is in a deep freeze yet I sit here in NC w/ not a single cloud in the sky right now and its 52 degrees...yet, I deal with horrible traffic, plane and train noise, and all the things that come with living in a higher population area...if you can land a great job in VT and deal w/ the cold then maybe it is the place for you...lots of people from ND here as well...they move here because of the jobs and warmer weather...as i get older I desire the quality of living over my younger days when I thought I would land a CEO job...but not quite sure if I am willing to give up the mild january days for the beatiful mountains over vermont and lower salary...hoping to find a happy medium someday.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
people are starting to realize that quality of living is better than having a higher paying stressful job that takes over an hour commute to get to work. if vermont is generating more higher paying jobs then it makes sense people would move there over the likes of MA, NH, and ME. With that being said, the weather during the winter is horrible. Most of the country is in a deep freeze yet I sit here in NC w/ not a single cloud in the sky right now and its 52 degrees...yet, I deal with horrible traffic, plane and train noise, and all the things that come with living in a higher population area...if you can land a great job in VT and deal w/ the cold then maybe it is the place for you...lots of people from ND here as well...they move here because of the jobs and warmer weather...as i get older I desire the quality of living over my younger days when I thought I would land a CEO job...but not quite sure if I am willing to give up the mild january days for the beatiful mountains over vermont and lower salary...hoping to find a happy medium someday.
I'm in NC too, same weather as you posted, but check out the forecast for tomorrow and the next day.

NC has no appeal to me other than most things in my area (the triangle) are newer. I thought that would be enough for me, but it's not. Maybe one day if I become wealthy, I will have 2 homes. One in New England and another in a warmer climate for 3 months out of the year. 6 months of the year in the south it's like the amazon jungle, with as many bugs. The south is just not for me.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM

221 posts, read 346,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post

I've been saying it here for a long time...people complain that there aren't many high paying jobs in VT, but at least almost everyone has A JOB. People looking from the outside in(not VTers that are already used to it) see people that go to work, and even if they only work part time in Mcdonlands just to give an example, they at least have a life. They don't need to spend 20 hours a day in a stressful job. They have some free time. Which is why you see people that are overall happier than in other places.

BTW I think the weather at least so far this year compared to last year has been a joke...(unzipped) jacket, gloves and boots and you feel nothing.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:03 PM

150 posts, read 217,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I'm in NC too, same weather as you posted, but check out the forecast for tomorrow and the next day.

NC has no appeal to me other than most things in my area (the triangle) are newer. I thought that would be enough for me, but it's not. Maybe one day if I become wealthy, I will have 2 homes. One in New England and another in a warmer climate for 3 months out of the year. 6 months of the year in the south it's like the amazon jungle, with as many bugs. The south is just not for me.
Other than the summer heat and humidity, what is so undesirable to you about NC? I ask because I'm considering moving to SC in the next year. I've been in VT my entire life and would like to try someplace else. As I get older, it becomes more difficult to live here, give the cost of living, the generally lousy weather and lack of things to do.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:33 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
the generally lousy weather and lack of things to do.
It's interesting to me how different people feel about living here. While I get the weather might not be up to par with certain areas of the country, I generally like it a lot more than the weather in NY. And after moving here from NYC, where I was actually bored lol, I now find myself with a lack of time to pursue all the things I am enjoying doing. I've gotten involved in so much that I think I'm in over my head ha ha.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
Other than the summer heat and humidity, what is so undesirable to you about NC? I ask because I'm considering moving to SC in the next year. I've been in VT my entire life and would like to try someplace else. As I get older, it becomes more difficult to live here, give the cost of living, the generally lousy weather and lack of things to do.
I'll try to not make this into a novel...

The positives:
The area I live in is quite nice - aesthetically pleasing given most of the area is new.
The roads are in great shape, they don't have brutal snow storms here and salt trucks tearing up roads.
It's a young family mecca! Lots and lots of young folks are here from the Northeast and elsewhere. So much so that older folks are a rare sight (at least in my area). Some senior housing is popping up, as well as ranch style homes (very scarce here).... so they're trying to attract more of that demographic.
Compared to NY, gas is a lot cheaper, so is car insurance - by HALF!
Diversity - because of the high tech jobs here, there is a lot of diversity.
Warmer weather in the winter is nice - but it still gets cold here. It was 28 this morning and it's going to drop into the teens tomorrow and Thurs night. (I realize for you, it's probably single digits or lower, not expecting sympathy! ha).
It's not the "deep" south. DH and I argue about that, but it's my opinion that NC, at least where I live, is not like the stereotypical bible belt / slower / not friendly to "Yankees" area. Most people where I live aren't from here originally. HOWEVER, I have been to the Appalachian and Blue Ridge mountains and I now understand where those stereotypes come from. That may be just fine to many people, but it's alien to me and makes me feel even more out of my element.

The negatives (for me):
My friends and family are mostly in NY (where I am from). I miss them desperately. Much more so than I had anticipated. I can't hop in the car to see them, it's a 10-12 hours drive considering DC traffic. So when I go back home, it's a flight.
I've already touched on the heat - so I won't rehash.
This area is very transient. There seems to be no sense of community. Because it is so young and there are tech jobs here, people move around a LOT.
There is no character here - no soul, if you will. There is nothing quaint or charming about suburban sprawl. It's literally one cookie cutter housing development and strip mall after another. No one comes here for vacation, or because there's anything unique or fun about it. It's just a place where people live - vanilla. Again, I realize that many people actually WANT that.
We don't know a soul here and I am finding it very hard to make friends - I think this ties to my above comment re: no sense of community - at least where I live.

We did plenty of research and came here to visit 3x (DH also went an additional time without me). Each time we loved it. But perception didn't turn out to be reality. And that's ok. People move every day... Now we can say we tried it.

It sounds like you are moving for a different reason than we did. We're also at a different stage in our lives. Maybe if I was retiring in the South it would have been a different experience. Good luck to you!

(I guess I wasn't able to keep it so short after all)

Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 PM

809 posts, read 999,078 times
Vermont a top choice of people wanting to move to another state?

But you must be WRONG, RecentlyMoved! Our pols here are constantly complaining how Vermont is losing population!!! Although, if they are correct, I don't see it as a reason to complain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont