Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM

168 posts, read 286,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannabie View Post
my husband is not admitted yet, so it will be difficult to secure a job before he is admitted. He sat the California bar last year but did not have much time to prepare because a friend paid the fees for him at the last minute..He bought the barbri books but unfortunately he did not pass. He was told during the three day exam that it is the most difficult bar and many do not pass the first or even the second time. Time is not on our side at the moment...in a very difficult situation!
If he already has the California Bar/Bri books and has taken the CA bar exam once, my vote would be to try that again. It is one of the hardest in the country, but plenty of people take it multiple times and pass. Though the federal laws will be the same from state to state, and many state-level laws are similar across jurisdictions, it seems like an additional burden to start from scratch with a new state, just because he didn't pass CA the first time. Plus, CA is a huge legal market. If/when he does pass, there are a lot more potential employment options.

Watching the Bar/Bri videos is even better than the books - the videos digest the information still further, and often highlight ways to answer questions.

Can he get a job as a legal clerk / paralegal in the meantime - this would allow for increased exposure to American law, as well as some potential networking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:49 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,702,041 times
I know that California has the reputation of being hard, but it's worth pointing out that California has a lot of unacredited law schools, which undoubtedly has an impact on the pass rate.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 PM

26 posts, read 43,030 times
Thank you Jay...Looking at all the cities you have suggested. It has narrowed our scope and now we know where to concentrate our search. We also found some highly rated schools in that area! Jack, my husband has written other bar exams which he passed but found California extremely hard!Thank you for your advice Sierra. I have passed your message on to him. He is going to attempt it again in August and if he passes it then it opens up for other bar exams. We almost turned around and went CA way but we are here now and so difficult with kids in tow! It has not been an easy past two months for us and would like to settle as soon as possible.

Last edited by Hannabie; 01-22-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM

168 posts, read 286,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannabie View Post
Thank you Jay...Looking at all the cities you have suggested. It has narrowed our scope and now we know where to concentrate our search. We also found some highly rated schools in that area! Jack, my husband has written other bar exams which he passed but found California extremely hard!Thank you for your advice Sierra. I have passed your message on to him. He is going to attempt it again in August and if he passes it then it opens up for other bar exams. We almost turned around and went CA way but we are here now and so difficult with kids in tow! It has not been an easy past two months for us and would like to settle as soon as possible.
I'm confused now - he has passed a bar exam in at least one state? If so, it seems like you should focus on finding a job in that state. There are good and bad towns and good and bad schools in every state; I wouldn't want to go through the stress and cost of a new bar exam and a move to a new state (especially an unknown state) if he's already passed one bar exam.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 PM

26 posts, read 43,030 times
No Sierra, he has passed the bar in South Africa (I am sorry if I did not explain this clearly) but has yet to pass a bar in the USA

Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 AM

50 posts, read 90,206 times
the poster may be esl (Afrikaner?) maybe they read 48 least populated. vermont is a beautiful and sought after state. i'm seeking it myself : ) And it will be near Burlington (for my wife's sanity) - which, incidentally, is only 1.5 hour drive to Montreal - another amazing city.

Last edited by PulSamsara; 02-24-2015 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM

94 posts, read 117,039 times
as beautiful as some mountains are, it feels like the state is missing the soul. Have you ever been to the capital.. Jesus, it reminds me of Russia.. Poor state..

Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 AM

809 posts, read 1,001,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
as beautiful as some mountains are, it feels like the state is missing the soul. Have you ever been to the capital.. Jesus, it reminds me of Russia.. Poor state..
???????????????????

Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,105,621 times
Montpelier is like Russia?

I'll have to visit Russia! Three Penny Taproom is amazing.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,556,366 times
After a lifetime of living in rural VT and NH I'm always surprised to read such negative comments about both states. I swear there are people who come to both forums (and VT in particular) just to complain, and that's a shame. That makes it very hard for folks like yourself to get accurate information.

I think you might have misunderstood, Vermont is one of the least popuLATED states (as in, number of people who live here), not the least popuLAR. Our Population is very small, and that has it's pluses and minuses.

Vermont is a great place to raise a family away from the hustle and bustle of a big city. It is generally safe, with room to spread your wings. It offers a TON of outdoor activities for active children.

Vermont is not a great place if you desire a wealth of 6 figure job opportunities, or if you simply must be within a 10 minute drive of city-amenities like museums, malls, 2am restaurant choices, etc.

It is a generally quiet, rural, low congestion place. If you come for that, and don't expect it to be something it's not, than you can be very happy here.

The people here are nice, but you have to get out and meet them. Join some civic groups, or a church of your choice, get involved in the schools. People also tend to leave you alone—live and let live. That's a big PLUS for most of us who don't want nanny neighbors.

The weather isn't nearly as oppressive as it's portrayed, and most of us like it just fine. The winters give way to gorgeous Spring, Summer, and Fall with moderate temperatures. The last few years, MA, CT & RI have received more snow than we have. Even this year as Boston hit record depths, what we got was nothing special.

The schools are generally very good, as they are all across New England. I have a buddy who is an Education Consultant who travels all over and he's often said that he wished people locally who complain about their local schools could see what passes for public education in other parts of the country, particularity many southern states.

The economy might not be thriving but there is work for people who don't mind actually working. Obviously an advanced degree helps for the higher paying jobs. Living on the NH border, as I do, opens up a lot of opportunities as well. Moving here without a job lined up is foolhardy, but that's the case everywhere.

I hope that helps! I've lived in Windsor VT (right on the NH border) for the last 15 years, and in Lebanon NH before that. I am very happy to be raising my son here. No state, town, or area is perfect, not even the ones who pretend to be, but the Upper Valley area (the cluster of NH and VT towns surrounding Hanover & Lebanon NH) offer a great mix of small towns with different vibes and offerings, something to suit most everyone who actually wants what the area has to offer.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont