Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM

26 posts, read 42,957 times

Advertisements

Can somebody please tel me why Vermont is so unpopular? I was told it is the 48th most unpopular state, I was told it is a lonely, depressing state with many dirt roads and not much going on. Can somebody please give me a better picture and what town or city is good for a family with growing kids. My teen son wants to experience some city life and my daughter loves a neighborhood feel. My youngest needs a good elementary school. Is there anything in between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
The 48th most unpopular state would be the 3rd most popular. Sounds right.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM

And your posts are curious. In November you were moving to Spokane, then to CT. What are you actually doing? Post seems a tad disingenuous.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Timberline, what would I gain by jumping around? I do not have to prove anything to you but to answer YES we moved to Spokane but things did not work out. We are not tied to one particular state. We have to go where my husband can convert his degree and Vermont is one of a FEW other states on our list, so I might even ask about New Hampshire, North Carolina as well as Florida. Do you have a problem with that? Do I have the right just like anybody else to try and find the perfect place for my family? My husband writes in August so we have plenty of time to investigate different states before we settle.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannabie View Post
Do you have a problem with that?

I have a problem with people coming in and starting off with negativity (lonely, depressing, 48th most unpopular (which doesn't mean what I think you think it means)) and silly statements about a beautiful state under the guise of being interested in it sincerely, yes.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 PM

I am in contact with one of the moderators who knows our family predicament and I do not have to splash it all over this page. We are not from the USA so I know nothing about Vermont! I was TOLD by people that it is desolate and unpopular, so I am doing the right thing by asking the opinion of people who have had first hand experience here on citi-data.We have no family or friends here in the US to ask such advice and have to rely on "google", strangers or "citi-data" .There is no need to become a cyber bully just because I am asking a simple question, trying to find a state to settle my family before my husband takes the bar. You have no right to judge me as you do not know my situation. I am merely asking for advice and opinions and will greatly appreciate it!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:18 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,518,556 times
I find urban slums desolate, not forests. If you want city life look elsewhere. VT is a rural state. Not everyone wants to live in wall to wall people.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
As others have said, Vermont is rural. If you are looking for city life you won't find it here. Our largest city is Burlington, with about 40,000 people. If you include the "suburbs" you are looking at 150K. It sounds like that if Vermont is the only place on the table that you'll want Burlington or one of it's suburbs - South Burlington, Essex, Colchester or Williston.
Curious what the degree is?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And your posts are curious. In November you were moving to Spokane, then to CT. What are you actually doing? Post seems a tad disingenuous.
Instead of questioning this posters motives and past history, why don't you answer their question? Not everyone knows what a wonderful state Vermont is and the OP has obviously been given some bad information. It is the purpose of this forum to educate people about different places to live and help them decide if it is the right place for them or not. This poster is looking at multiple states to relocate to for her husband's profession and Vermont is one of several being considered. There is nothing wrong with that.

To answer the OP's question, Vermont is a wonderful, beautiful state, probably one of the nicest in the northeast and maybe the country IMHO. It has stunning mountains, beautiful countryside, quant towns and many nice small cities. It is New England charm at its best. Burlington is a wonderfully vibrant small city with a great slightly urban feel and a lot to do. Barre, Rutland, Brattleboro and Bennington are all nice small cities. Whoever described Vermont to you Hannable obviously does not know it and has never been there. Keep in mind that Vermont is cold in the winter and gets a lot of snow but that does not stop people from doing anything. Fall is absolutely stunning with all the color of the trees. The summers are warm (not hot) and delightful and the spring is beautiful. If you are looking for big-city living in a warm climate, then Vermont is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a wonderful quiet life in a beautiful quaint rural setting, it is perfect. Jay

Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM

168 posts, read 286,110 times
Well I don't like the implications of this conversation. We start out with a seriously negative, downbeat post - which I'm getting tired of seeing on the Vermont forum; we have thread after thread of "Vermont is the most horrible place" and "why is Vermont bad for blacks" and on and on... Anyone coming to this forum to see what Vermont's all about is going to get the instant impression that it's a horrible, racist, polemic place. So I think timberline was within his rights to note (at least by implication) that perhaps opening with a salvo of negatives isn't the best way to start a conversation.

And as for moving around alot - well, as someone who's done inter-state moves 5 times in the last 15 years, I can say from personal experience that there can be good reasons for it... and/or, it can be a sign that you don't really know what you want. So again I think timberline's comment, while perhaps brashly put, wasn't out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont