Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:56 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,529 times

Advertisements

Aaron hold on to the corolla. It's the best selling car in the world with over 30 million sold since its introduction in 1966. I'm an automotive technician and in my opinion the corrolla is one of the best cars out there in terms of reliability, mpg, resale value, etc. Subarus in my opinion are overrated and I agree with robertpolgot in that they have a "lifestyle packaging". They are great in snow but how often is awd really needed? With awd comes many more moving parts such as additional axles, transfer cases, tires that need to be in the same condition because of the awd, bad mpg's, etc. A 2008 outback is rated at 20 city 26 hwy mpg. Your 1999 corolla is rated at 27 city and 38 hwy mpg. Consider the cost of gas currently at 3.19 here in VT and sure to rise this summer to 3.50+ whats the better choice? You will do just fine with a good set of snow tires on the corolla. Nokian's are the best snow tires out there in my opinion. They are from Scandinavia and are tested and proved in some of winters harshes conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:39 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You will do just fine with a good set of snow tires on the corolla. Nokian's are the best snow tires out there in my opinion. They are from Scandinavia and are tested and proved in some of winters harshes conditions.
Agreed. I sprung for Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires and I'm glad I did. Not only are they one of the few vegan tires out there (most include animal fat) but they ride like the Grinch's sled. I'm sticking with these tires!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
We have a Scion (we had it back in S. NY)--it's leased.
With snowtires it has been pretty good so far according to my husband (I haven't had to drive much in the snow so far.) I have seen a variety of cars up here--from beat up station wagons to Hummers. I believe good snow tires are the key.

We had a Honda (before this one) in NY. The car was really great to drive but in snow (no snow tires) it was awful!!

Get good tires...it makes a difference.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We had a Honda (before this one) in NY. The car was really great to drive but in snow (no snow tires) it was awful!!

Get good tires...it makes a difference.

You hit it exactly! Without snow tires, I think every car would be "awful" in snow. With great snow tires, my Honda Civic has taken me through outrageous conditions with ease. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it unless there was weather so severe that authorities were warning absolutely everyone off the roads -- rare in my experience.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
While I agree with the FWD/RWD/snow tire recommendation, I think some of this really depends on where you are going to be living...if you are going to be in the Burlington area or other towns, you will totally be fine with the Toyota...however, I typically end up driving on unpaved, steep roads that don't get plowed often, and I would never make it in that car.

Also, when buying a 2008 car, please keep in mind that the EPA has recalculated the way they figured out a cars MPG...so all 2008 cars will look like they make worse mileage than the same exact car in 2007 - the new numbers reflect more accurately what the typical driver will get in stop and go traffic, etc...so it's really not accurate to compare what a 2008 car gets vs. your 1999 (though of course, an AWD drive car will make less MPG than a FWD, but then again newer cars also have more safety features that make the car heavier, etc.).

CarGurus Blog » Blog Archive » EPA Shrinks MPG for 2008

Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM

22 posts, read 72,516 times
I'm going to be in Rutland. Do y'all get an extra set of rims for the snow tires and just change them out yourselves as the seasons change?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,422 times
I live in snow country in Massachusetts and have an 05 Outback and a 95 Corolla with studded snows. Both are good in snow, but the Corolla handles better on ice. Be sure you know how to stop with ABS brakes and drive with care in the snow and ice. I've seen too many 4WD accidents of folks who drive like the wind when the snow flies.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:24 PM

22 posts, read 72,516 times
I don't have ABS. Are studded necessary?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
I don't have ABS. Are studded necessary?
I do not have studded snow tires. Just really, really good snow tires. I've had studs and don't recall any appreciable increase in steadiness on the road. I also remember a lifelong New Englander telling me that studs sometimes "skate" on ice.

Also depends on where you'll be driving. Mostly city/town? Serious dirt roads and long, hilly driveways? Regardless, I've never needed studs.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM

14 posts, read 116,538 times
Default Who on this board owns a Subaru

The Toyota you own will do fine in Vermont with a good set of snow tires on all four wheels. I do not think it is necessary for you to buy a new vehicle as long as your car is properly winterized. By that, I mean that you should have your antifreeze checked to be good to approximately 35 below zero and your battery checked as well. For convenience, it is not a bad idea to have snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels, however, that can be pricey. Using extra wheels with snow tires mounted upon them is a personal choice. What you will learn by experience, driving here in Vermont, is to use common sense while driving. If it is snowing or if the roads are icy, just take it easy. (No one needs to be in a hurry when there is a blizzard.) When you arrive here in Vermont, I suggest you practice your car handling skills in an empty parking lot, seeing what your car will do in snow and on ice.
I own a 2003 Subaru Forester and bought it, not so much for ease in winter driving (which it does do well,) but because it fits my personal needs. My Forester is a great errand car and has adequate power (for me) and has excellent visibility. Seats are firm, and on long drives can become uncomfortable. I do change my all-season radial tires to snow tires in the winter. I have Hakkapelita (sp) Nordman 2's on all four wheels and am happy with them. My car averages 22 miles/gal on a tank of regular fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont