Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I do not have studded snow tires. Just really, really good snow tires. I've had studs and don't recall any appreciable increase in steadiness on the road. I also remember a lifelong New Englander telling me that studs sometimes "skate" on ice.

Also depends on where you'll be driving. Mostly city/town? Serious dirt roads and long, hilly driveways? Regardless, I've never needed studs.
My experience: my former Durango (4WD) with all weather radials STUNK! on the long dirt road I live on when it got a little slick in the winter. One evening it was me and the kids, the weather was sleeting and I was driving slowly in 4WD. I had reached the crest of a slow rise and as the slope descended, the car slid off the road. It went to the right and into a runoff gully. The car was lousy in the rain, too.

I keep a Jeep at the house and it has studded snows on it for our road and steep driveway. They have been great. We have a second set of wheels with regular tires that we swop out ourselves when winter is over.

Years ago, before Subarus got the yuppy/lifestyle reputation, I owned a small Subaru hatchback AWD that was incredible in the snow, better than my ex husbands 4WD compact pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 PM

22 posts, read 72,502 times
Thanks for the info everyone. For the most part I think I'll be city driving, but who knows where life will bring me.

I never knew about this Subaru "yuppy" image. Subarus are not popular down here, so they have no lifestyle associations.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
I drive an Outback and it works well on snowy roads but not as good as my 4wd pickup. I drive a very steep road to and from work. I guess I never noticed until I owned one but there is definately alot of them around which tells you that they are good vehicles to have in Vermont.

I personally don't pay much attention to the stupid stereotypes you hear from some. If that bothers you maybe it wouldn't work for you. I chuckle everytime I go to the store and there are several cars that look just like mine in the parking lot. Another positive for me is that I really like the dealer up in Berlin.

To be honest, people who live in snow country get around just fine on pretty much any vehicle you want. A friend drives a mini-coup. As mentioned good tires are important and driving smart goes along way in getting to your destination. AWD vehicles do make it easier, IMHO, 4wd even better. Audi Quattros(sic) are popular too.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
I never knew about this Subaru "yuppy" image. Subarus are not popular down here, so they have no lifestyle associations.

I feel motivated to interject that if I had weighed the cost, benefits, and my own lifestyle factors and a Subaru emerged as the right vehicle for me, I wouldn't care what "image" it projected. My Honda suits me great, but a good friend just bought a new Subaru Outback wagon and it suits her perfectly. She lives way out in the country and hopes to adopt a baby soon. The research she and her husband did led them to the Outback. I continue to think very highly of them and don't see the Subaru purchase as a character flaw.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
I have owned four Subarus, two early Loyale wagons and now two Foresters and they have all been very dependable and efficient, so we are talking almost twenty years of use in both Alaska and here in Vermont. I prefer the Forester over the Outback for a few reasons. The ground clearance is higher and the overall length is a bit shorter. The Forester actually has quite a bit of Cargo capacity and the vehicle itself is cheaper than the Outback. If I really need to haul oversize or heavy objects I fall back on my F150. As far as tires go up in Alaska I ran a few sets of Nokians which are really very good in extreme cold and ice conditions, the only drawback being that they wear out much faster. Currently, on both my truck and Subarus I run all season Michelins which meet and exceed all of their ratings and reviews. They not only have a very high mileage lifespan, but handle water, mud, snow, and ice while still giving a very good quality ride on normal roads and the highway. Some folks still prefer to rotate out to the heavy lug snows and or stud their tires, but to be honest a good quality all season MS Radial is all you need.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I prefer the Forester over the Outback for a few reasons.
I just checked with my friend -- she actually got a Forester, not an Outback. Apparently, others agree with you. In her case, part of it was that her husband sold his pickup truck and their other car is a sedan, so they wanted at least one vehicle with generous cargo space.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. For the most part I think I'll be city driving, but who knows where life will bring me.

Hi Aaron,

When I wrote 'yuppy' image, it pertained to LI, NY not VT. I should have clarified that. Sorry!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
I have to say, when I think of yuppies here in NY/LI, I certainly don't picture them driving Subies.

Your yuppies out further East must be a lot different than the yuppies I see in western Nassau!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
My friend and I always think of subie drivers as those who came from out of state and think that Subies are what they "need". A definate generalization LOL. No one in my circle of friends/family/co-workers drive a subaru.
As noted above, a good set of snow tires and good driving skills are really what you need.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I have to say, when I think of yuppies here in NY/LI, I certainly don't picture them driving Subies.

Your yuppies out further East must be a lot different than the yuppies I see in western Nassau!!!

To further clarify, this was yuppiedum circa 1988. I was having an off night when I wrote my post!

The current crop of eastern LI yups are probably keeping up with their western Nassau contemporaries in the vehicle dept. Big, monsterous gas sucking SUVs with luxury nameplates or high end European and Japanese luxury sedans -- right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont