Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times

Advertisements

I got engaged in October and we would like to elope to New England in 2009 ,as it is one of our favourite places on earth.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for wonderful places to Wed, ideally a really pretty village or town which would look stunning in October, with a really good and very special restaurant for a wedding lunch/dinner and Inn to stay in.

I am starting to get ideas from Friends and on the Net but would appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your he
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
First, congratulations!

We had planned on getting married in VT for a while and did soooooo much research it almost hurts my head...there are TONS of amazing, beautiful places to get married in VT, and I probably only researched Central and Northern Vermont...

If you are going to elope, it definitely gives you many more options than what we were considering (a family/close friends wedding)...many inns will tailor a weekend for you...

Some websites that you can spend some time on:

Vermont Wedding Guide - New England Country Weddings in the Mad River Valley
This is the site that specializes in the Mad River Valley area...great resources.

Vermont Association of Wedding Professionals

Vermont Weddings - Plan a New England Wedding in VT - Vermont Vows Magazine
Vermont Vows Magazine

Vermont Wedding Association

This will help you get started...just looking up Vermont weddings on the internet will lead you to a bunch of sites as well, and if I'm not mistaken, the Knot's web site has a section for Vermont on their message boards (though their web site is horrible, so it's a bit of a pain to navigate).

It can be daunting at first, but you'll eventually get it narrowed down to at least an area (if you're flying in, you might want to be closer to the airport, etc), and then go from there...also, every inn/caterer/photographer we contacted was more than helpful with ideas and suggestions, so you can always ask for opinions that way as well.

Best of luck, I'm sure no matter where you end up, it will be beautiful!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
First, congratulations!

We had planned on getting married in VT for a while and did soooooo much research it almost hurts my head...there are TONS of amazing, beautiful places to get married in VT, and I probably only researched Central and Northern Vermont...

If you are going to elope, it definitely gives you many more options than what we were considering (a family/close friends wedding)...many inns will tailor a weekend for you...

Some websites that you can spend some time on:

Vermont Wedding Guide - New England Country Weddings in the Mad River Valley
This is the site that specializes in the Mad River Valley area...great resources.

Vermont Weddings - Plan a New England Wedding in VT - Vermont Vows Magazine
Vermont Vows Magazine

This will help you get started...just looking up Vermont weddings on the internet will lead you to a bunch of sites as well, and if I'm not mistaken, the Knot's web site has a section for Vermont on their message boards (though their web site is horrible, so it's a bit of a pain to navigate).

It can be daunting at first, but you'll eventually get it narrowed down to at least an area (if you're flying in, you might want to be closer to the airport, etc), and then go from there...also, every inn/caterer/photographer we contacted was more than helpful with ideas and suggestions, so you can always ask for opinions that way as well.

Best of luck, I'm sure no matter where you end up, it will be beautiful!
Wow, thank you so much, that is so useful. Hopefully with over 18 months to go I have plenty of time to narrow options down. It will be very low key but I still do want it very chic, luxurious and special nonetheless and NE sounds perfect for us !

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM

24 posts, read 99,493 times
Vermont Magazine had a recent special issue on weddings, with lots of gorgeous pictures and resource listings. You can request a free copy at this link: Vermont Magazine...bringing it all to you!

Congrats, and good luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Congratulations! What an exciting adventure!

I've lived in VT and have been to several weddings, including my daughter's at the Stowehof Inn. Stowe is a beautiful area for a wedding. I also attended a wonderful wedding nearer to Brattleboro, I'll try to remember the name of that Inn and add it later.

This is another Inn where I attended a wedding. It was lovely.

Vermont Country Inn, mount snow, mt snow, Southern Vermont Bed and Breakfast, mount snow country inn, mount snow, mount snow ski vacation

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM

83 posts, read 258,674 times
I worked at an area florist in St. Johnsbury for several years. The Northeast Kingdom is a fabulous place to be in the Autumn. Lots of beautiful places for weddings and receptions. The Wildflower Inn is about the best Inn as far as I'm concerned. Very nice grounds and great place to stay. We had people get married in a little church in Peacham Vt. that actually has NO electricity. Just candle light. How romantic is that ? Try researching the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

Melissa

Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
Based on your preferences
Quote:
I still do want it very chic, luxurious
I would suggest:
Basin Harbor Club - just south of Burlington
Topnotch - Stowe
Inn at The Round Barn - Waitsfield
Pitcher Inn - Warren
Claybrook - Warren

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
North Hero House Bed and Breakfast

My wife and I were married here. It's on the lake and the views don't get any better. We love it so much, every year we go back to stay for a weekend(it's only 20 min from our home).

Old 02-05-2008, 04:05 AM

Thank you so much to you all, New England is so beautiful, it makes it so hard to choose. Too many stunning and romantic places !

Old 02-05-2008, 06:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
The Inn at the Round Barn Farm is stunning for a wedding. I went their with a friend who was looking at it for her wedding....there happened to be a wedding going on and all I could say was "wow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont