Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times

Advertisements

Welcome back Arel...I've been wondering where you've been for a while. I'm glad to see you are still planning on moving...we have been in touch with some real estate agents as well, just to get some pricing ideas, though it looks like we will have to wait til at least next year for our move....

Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Welcome back Arel and good luck with your relocation plans. Even though winter appeared to have an extended grip this year spring has finally arrived and everyday there are more and more wonders of nature to be observed. The economy of course is a main topic now virtually everywhere even eclipsing the war since of course the economy affects almost everyone directly. Can't really provide solid information concerning the prospects in your field, but the state legislature has now formally acknowledged the recession and the impending deficit to our upcoming budget. Needless to say belt tigntening measures will be to some degree undertaken which if enacted across the board will also affect social services and health services. The state MSM today released a few examples which were discussed today in Montpelier and in the proposed draft almost one third of the savings from the deficit may come from prescription drug funding cutbacks to the elderly. For anyone curious as to the complete list of initial proposals for reductions you can view the information at the state legislative website, go to the legislative joint fiscal office, and then to FY2009 appropriation documents under List of Potential Reductions and Revenue.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Glad you're making the move, Arel!! Another NYer to the fold...lol...(natives are grumbling and saying NO!) Just joking.

I have to say everyone is pretty 'nice' here, over all. I do see a difference in some things. I have not had one person (to my face) make any comments about my accent. (Slight Long Island accent). I know this thing was sort of concern, though minor, for you.

I still find some of the people hard to figure out (different sense of humor...they are more 'dry witted here', less of the 'hey how ya doin'..?)

I do like the live and let live attitude.

Keep in touch with us!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 AM

12 posts, read 29,630 times
Probably because the cold and high costs for living there.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times
I never went to Brattleboro, probably never will. I would not like to drive around town with my grandchildren and see naked people window shopping. Just not my idea of the quint oldfashioned town. They may not like the President but to have him arrested?!! I heard they have a great parade though....the running of the cows!!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I never went to Brattleboro, probably never will. I would not like to drive around town with my grandchildren and see naked people window shopping. Just not my idea of the quint oldfashioned town.
If that is your concern about Brat, then you might want to reconsider, as it is a lovely town. I have been to Brattleboro hundreds of times. I know people who have lived there for decades, many who were born there and still live there. Not one of them (nor I) has ever seen a naked person in Brattleboro except as appropriate in the privacy of his or her own home.

On the other hand, I have seen naked strangers in Miami, Boston, NYC, and other places I've lived and visited and am no worse for the wear. Children who do not understand that everyone is naked underneath their clothes, and that the naked form is about as natural as it gets, seem to me to be at a potential disadvantage in terms of reality.

Quote:
I heard they have a great parade though....the running of the cows!!
Strolling of the Heifers, June 6-8, 2008

Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM

[quote=Sherylcatmom;3489186]If that is your concern about Brat, then you might want to reconsider, as it is a lovely town. I have been to Brattleboro hundreds of times. I know people who have lived there for decades, many who were born there and still live there. Not one of them (nor I) has ever seen a naked person in Brattleboro except as appropriate in the privacy of his or her own home.

On the other hand, I have seen naked strangers in Miami, Boston, NYC, and other places I've lived and visited and am no worse for the wear. Children who do not understand that everyone is naked underneath their clothes, and that the naked form is about as natural as it gets, seem to me to be at a potential disadvantage in terms of reality.

Someone told me there are naked people walking the streets on a daily basis. He has to go through Brattleboro on his way to work. I don't know if this is true because I never had a reason to go there. I do feel that it is something that someone should be aware of before they make a decision to move there. There is a difference between nudity and exhibitionism. My husband and I walk around our house nude and sleep in the nude. I would not walk the streets of Rutland nude. How is a child supposed to know the difference between a stranger standing naked in front of them and a strange possibly dangerous person standing naked in front of them? I think that is a reality that I would not want my children subjected too.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
As far as I know Brattleboro passed an anti-nudity ordinance not too long ago...

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I never went to Brattleboro, probably never will. I would not like to drive around town with my grandchildren and see naked people window shopping. Just not my idea of the quint oldfashioned town. They may not like the President but to have him arrested?!! I heard they have a great parade though....the running of the cows!!

I've been through Brattleboro on a number of occasions and have not yet spotted the elusive naked walker.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I've been through Brattleboro on a number of occasions and have not yet spotted the elusive naked walker.
Last year the Selectboard was considering banning nudity. That may have been the time I spoke with the gentleman who told me he sees naked people standing in the traffic circle protesting. Then there was the issue with President Bush. The Town became world renowned...and it was not in a good way. I'm sorry if anyone has taken offense to me pointing this out to Arel. It is a very important decision to relocate and I would hate to see her find out after she moves that she chose the wrong location. Especially when she is asking this forum for information concerning Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont