Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 AM

231 posts, read 869,757 times

Advertisements

Seems "the hump" is the place. My wife and I also enjoy that mountain. She grew up near it, and I love to hike it and fish it. We are sadly in the process of moving from Vermont, due to a job move. And we are looking for the biggest photo of Camels Hump we can find to place in our in new home. (Which incidently cost 1/3 of what I can buy the same/similar here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
There's another place I love, right outside Bristol. I'm not sure of the road, I never am, I've been here 4 years and I can't remember if our highway is 87 or 89. Or if I live off 2 or 2A. Anyway, if you drive north through Bristol on 116
and turn as if you are going to Lincoln, there are rapids to your right. It's a perfect place for picnicing or just sitting in the rapids. Even though there are a lot of people there, there are rock groupings that give you privacy. I probably drive 50-80 yards off 116 and walk down. While sitting in the rapids and looking at the pines, it's easy to think you are in Colorado.

Last edited by quickdraw; 04-23-2008 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Whike sitting in the rapids and looking at the pines, it's easy to think you are in Colorado.
I love that spot!! At least, it sounds like the same spot. When I had friends living in Hinesburg, we would make any excuse to go down there together and just watch. You know, although those friends now live in S. Burlington, my husband and I could still stop there on our way up . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
There's another place I love, right outside Bristol. I'm not sure of the road, I never am, I've been here 4 years and I can't remember if our highway is 87 or 89. Or if I live off 2 or 2A. Anyway, if you drive north through Bristol on 116
and turn as if you are going to Lincoln, there are rapids to your right. It's a perfect place for picnicing or just sitting in the rapids. Even though there are a lot of people there, there are rock groupings that give you privacy. I probably drive 50-80 yards off 116 and walk down. While sitting in the rapids and looking at the pines, it's easy to think you are in Colorado.
Sounds like your describing Rocky Dale. Is there alittle church and a nursery there? Definately a pretty spot.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/rocky_dale_001.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by vter; 04-26-2008 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Copyright - please post links to google images only please.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Sounds like your describing Rocky Dale. Is there alittle church and a nursery there? Definately a pretty spot.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/rocky_dale_001.jpg (broken link)
Perhaps it's just Bristol Falls, or the base of Bristol Falls. I don't recall the church or Nursery. Really a gorgeous place. Not only do the rock formations give you privacy, they offer different conditions to sit in. You can sit in very still water, or you can dangle your legs in fast rapids. Just gorgeous scenery.

Last edited by vter; 04-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: copyright - do not post images unless they are your own. Please post link for non-original material

Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
It's called Bartlett Falls (I think). Rockydale Pizza, right near there, looks like a dive from the outside, but the pizza is really good!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I've been by those falls and they look very attractive. Right now, I'm reading my 4th novel by that guy who lives just up the hill from there. And I agree about Rockydale Pizza: It does looks like a dive. Just down the street there's that huge rock that juts out into the road with the lord's prayer carved on it. I used to drive through there weekly and miss seeing my friends at Mountain Greens. Neat little area!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
To be honest I have never heard of it being referred to Bristol Falls but that's what Google says when you click the little camera symbol. Google Earth is not 100% perfect as per example, the church is actually across the road from the church symbol. Rocky Dale Nursery is next to the church symbol on the left.

Too being such a rural state it's not a high priority for high resolution imagery statewide which is why this image is so fuzzy.

Right near, across the road, from the pizza place is an old diner, used to be called The Squirrels Nest(?), it was closed for awhile but I think it has reopened under another name. It too looks abit rough but being a diner freak that's just the kinda place I like. Good food, cheap prices.

When I first started photographing the river tumbling down from Lincoln Gap at Rocky Dale it was before they rebuilt the bridge and trucks used to come very close as I was set up with a tripod.

Quote:
Right now, I'm reading my 4th novel by that guy who lives just up the hill from there. And I agree about Rockydale Pizza:
The wife reads all his books too...amazing what alittle pub from Opra will do.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM

50 posts, read 187,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
My favorite part of Vermont is Malletts Bay in Colchester. I'm bias because thats where we live, but it is breath taking. Anywhere on the lake for that matter is beautiful. On of the most spectacular sights that you can see is a sunset over the Adirondack mountains while on the Vermont side looking over the lake. The best sunsets are in the summer(won't be long now) and a place to veiw it is in Burlington.
I also live in Mallets Bay and love it here. Sometimes I just look at the lake and can't believe how beautiful it is- my husband calls it eye candy.
I must admit that this stretch of good weather has me singing the praises of Vermont versus 2 months ago when I was desperate for good weather. LOL

Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Windham County!

It has the best little throwback hippie villages and towns (Brattleboro, Putney, etc), and the woods are filled with artists. It's just a great social scene. Lots of great little swimming holes to strip down and take a dip in: West River, Rock River, E Putney Brook, Saxtons River...

Less expensive and snobby than the horse-farm areas in the western part of the state, and much more laid back, peaceful and undisturbed than Burlington. More progressive than central VT and the NE Kingdom. Plus it's closest to NYC, Boston and the Atlantic Coast. The best of everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont