Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,825 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the NEK in a few months from SW Florida for my husbands job. Because we live in south Florida we have no winter clothes. My son doesnt even have a coat, he just wears hoodies if its chilly out. What all will we need to buy as far as winter clothes, boots, hats, etc? I have never been that far north in the winter and am clueless. Also where do you buy your winter clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
For online shopping, try LLBean or REI. If you are relocating to the St. Johnsbury area check out Caplan's on Railroad Street. They have a good selection of outdoor wear and the people who work there should be able to help you out.
You are going to want layers. Long johns (long underwear), fleece, etc. For a jacket I prefer a "shell" that is water resistant and wear layers under that shell (fleece jacket or vest, sweater, t-shirt and an underlayer/long underwear if it is super cold...for me that would be below zero). That way it is easy to strip layers if you get too warm.
For boots something warm and waterproof. Sorel, Bogs, LL Bean, Kamik are good brands.
You definitely want hats and gloves. Snow pants if you want to play in the snow but those are not necessary for every-day wear.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
For coats get down filled lining. They are the warmest. If you go on the LL Bean web site, they give "warm" ratings for their various coats. Since you are not used to cold weather, I would suggest getting coats with the warmest ratings.

Fleece jackets/hoodies for underlayers (under the coat).

If you can find them, merino wool sweaters.

What we used to call long johns are now called base layers. They come in all kinds of fabrics, but they need to fit tight to the skin.

What I have enjoyed since moving up here to north country is merino wool socks. Smart Wool and Darn Tuff are the 2 best brands. There are others but they don't seem to last as long.

Another store not mentioned above is Eastern Mountain Sports. If you are going up Rt 91 on the VT side, or Rt 10 on the NH side, stop at Farmway. Great place for all your cold weather needs.

You can order online before your trip, or if you are driving, google the store locations and perhaps stop on the way up to buy your gear.

Enjoy your adventure.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
100% agree with the Smartwool/Darn Tough, though I have a ton of Smart Wool base layers that have lasted me for years. I'll take wool over the synthetic stuff any day of the week, warm, dries fast, and doesn't smell if you're out exercising with them.

Sierra has really good deals on great brands, including Smartwool and Sorel, etc. But LL Beans 'warm' meter is great if you're not sure of what you'll need.

And I'd choose mittens over gloves - even when I fatbike, I wear mittens. If you're susceptible to the cold, definitely get some hand and toe warmers!

Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 PM

25 posts, read 98,736 times
You can spend a ton of money on overhyped, overpriced name brand clothes at LL Bean/REI and other such places or you can go to Costco in Colchester where you can get everything you want/need for so much cheaper, as in under 25% and frequently around 10% the price of these so called high end places. And often better quality and their clothes and everything else frequently looks better and you can return anything easy. Trust me, this is the way to go, you'll agree when you see for yourself.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Please keep in mind that there is a huge difference in clothes that are fine for brief excursions outdoors as you go from heated space to heated space vs clothes that are actually made to wear outside for prolonged periods. My comments are directed at prolonged outdoors in a deep freeze (vs just ordinary cold).

For true outdoors use I go with gloves that have just two finger slots plus a thumb slot, meaning two fingers stay together in a single slot. Makes for a huge difference in actually keeping your hands warm in prolonged deep cold. Sort of half way between regular gloves and mittens. If you don't find any to your liking, go with mittens but you lose some dexterity that way.

It may look stereotypical backwoods but good quality bomber or trapper hats really do keep your head and ears warm.

For feet get heavy wool socks and boots rated for the cold (most have the look but really aren't cold weather rated).

If you take care of the head, hands, and feet the rest is easy and don't need to be fussed with as much. If you're going to be outside for prolonged periods in a deep cold, some kind of leggings under the jeans will help and then just a good quality insulated or down coat.

The one thing to avoid is getting wet in a deep freeze, especially your hands or feet as that will get dangerous real fast.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoTroutlHntr View Post
You can spend a ton of money on overhyped, overpriced name brand clothes at LL Bean/REI and other such places or you can go to Costco in Colchester where you can get everything you want/need for so much cheaper, as in under 25% and frequently around 10% the price of these so called high end places. And often better quality and their clothes and everything else frequently looks better and you can return anything easy. Trust me, this is the way to go, you'll agree when you see for yourself.
I have never been to Costco in Colchester, but I sincerely doubt they have goose down jackets or merino wool anything. You may be able to get fleece jackets there and polyester base layers.

General clothing stores do not usually have the same type of merchandise as the cold-weather gear stores like LL Bean, Eastern Mountain Sports, Farmway, or others. Most of these stores have various price-points for most of their gear.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:05 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Take a trip to Brattleboro. There you'll find Sam's Outfitters. They have a huge selection of cold weather apparel.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Please keep in mind that there is a huge difference in clothes that are fine for brief excursions outdoors as you go from heated space to heated space vs clothes that are actually made to wear outside for prolonged periods. My comments are directed at prolonged outdoors in a deep freeze (vs just ordinary cold).

For true outdoors use I go with gloves that have just two finger slots plus a thumb slot, meaning two fingers stay together in a single slot. Makes for a huge difference in actually keeping your hands warm in prolonged deep cold. Sort of half way between regular gloves and mittens. If you don't find any to your liking, go with mittens but you lose some dexterity that way.

It may look stereotypical backwoods but good quality bomber or trapper hats really do keep your head and ears warm.

For feet get heavy wool socks and boots rated for the cold (most have the look but really aren't cold weather rated).

If you take care of the head, hands, and feet the rest is easy and don't need to be fussed with as much. If you're going to be outside for prolonged periods in a deep cold, some kind of leggings under the jeans will help and then just a good quality insulated or down coat.

The one thing to avoid is getting wet in a deep freeze, especially your hands or feet as that will get dangerous real fast.

Good points.

I would say, while LL Bean, REI, EMS etc carry some good gear, they are expensive, generally name brand stuff. Personally, I go the farm store route when I can, or, the hunting type stores, ala Cabela's and get their store brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have never been to Costco in Colchester, but I sincerely doubt they have goose down jackets or merino wool anything. You may be able to get fleece jackets there and polyester base layers.

General clothing stores do not usually have the same type of merchandise as the cold-weather gear stores like LL Bean, Eastern Mountain Sports, Farmway, or others. Most of these stores have various price-points for most of their gear.

Not sure about that Costco, but the one's I've been to carry some heavy winter coats and outer wear.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM

130 posts, read 140,568 times
Layers are key!
Example might be:
Long sleeve t shirt under flannel with fleece vest over that and jacket over top.
If you start an outside job, or adventure, you can strip off layers as you heat up.
Layers insulate better (my opinion after living in Maine for few years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont