Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Social Conservatives Welcome In Vermont?
Yes, you can be openly conservative and there will be no negative social or professional consequences 3 14.29%
Depends. Some places are welcoming, others are not 12 57.14%
No, if you're conservative you will need to prevent others from knowing this, or you can expect negative social and professional consequences 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 03:17 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
It tends to be a lot like that in upstate New York too, north of Albany, though I think we may have more "redneck" conservatives in New York.
I, um, strongly believe that.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
Hi Matt.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:27 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager977 View Post
I'll just add a couple of extra notes on this topic that I hope may be helpful.

Conservatives vs. Liberals/Progressives. If we think this way, we all lose. Instead, finding our common ground can make all of our lives better. We often (pre-Covid-19) would attend the monthly free community dinners at our local Congregational church. Shortly after the 2012 election I found myself sitting with a local resident who was telling me how Obama was having the feds buy up all the small arms ammo in an effort to keep the public from stocking up. I listened without interrupting, engaged in a deeper discussion than I had expected and feel that we both came away with perspective on each other's viewpoints and a better understanding of how we get our news. Since that day, I feel we have a stronger relationship and I'm certain we still don't agree on many topics but we were able to find respect for each other's views.

On the other hand, in my small rural community there is a neighbor who's home I pass frequently on my daily walks. On the back wall of his garage he has a Trump 2020 flag. Not outside for full view, but inside with the garage door always left open on that side. Nothing on his cars, nothing in the yard, just his quiet support on the wall of his garage. I walk by, look ahead of me and keep on trucking. Nothing to see here. His home, his opinion, his right.

Peace, Love, Understanding & Acceptance help to make all of our communities safer, stronger and more resilient. Be nice to your townsfolk especially when you don't agree. Sometimes even us old hippies learn a thing or two from our less left leaning neighbors.
Well, the fact is....people are generally liberal/progressive, conservative, or somewhere in between. I consider myself a moderate conservative (although I do feel strongly about fiscal restraint and responsibility- regarding social programs and other tax payer funded initiatives, I am open minded where they are truly needed). I do not call myself a republican because that label, and all it used to entail, doesn't really represent what I believe. For instance, I believe in a woman's right to choose, even though I wish abortion didn't have to be one of those choices. As soon as opinions are voiced, if you feel they CAN be expressed openly (in my experience, here in VT, you have to be very careful about conservative leaning views) you have basically chosen a side, IMO. There is no third point of view that gets any traction. That said, we don't have to act as if those opinions are lines in the sand, and I agree that we SHOULD be able to discuss our differences in a civil manner and really hear each other out. However, that experience for me has been rare indeed here in VT. The few people I know how are conservative keep their views to themselves.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
I'm a California Republican and have spent 4 months a year in Killington since 2016. I would never advertise my political views, I am pretty much shunned as it is by the neighbors by my rental house. They see the California plates and for whatever reason, keep a wide berth. I would never put a Trump sticker on my bumper and if anyone would engage me in political chat, I would lie and say I was for Biden. I'm a pretty liberal conservative (forgive the oxymoron), and have no problem with gay marriage, am rabidly pro-environment, pro-animal rights and a vegan. But I am definitely not for higher taxes, or "woke." I'm opposed to illegals getting welfare, for instance.

I'm simply being honest and basing this on extensive experience living P/T in an affluent neighborhood in Killington.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:04 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,915 times
VT has lost population for the last decade. I think its a little worrisome that VT only attracts one type of person that chooses to move to the state, those on the far left. The only conservatives or even moderates left in the state are multi-generational Vermonters that just haven't moved out yet only b/c they have family, job or reason they have to stay in VT (an example would be Governor Scott). I doubt nearly any moderates or conservatives actually pick VT as a place to move. So you get only one type of person moving here, the wonderfully morally superior, woke, far left "progressives". One things for sure, there will be no shortage of "progressive" non profits, social justice warriors, etc... I just wonder if there will be any one left to pay the taxes to fund this utopia?

I think that is worrisome. This was not the case 20, 30, 40 years ago. I know really great salt of the earth people who ran businesses, financially responsible taxpayers, that were say moderate Republicans that retired in VT or lived in VT 10, 20, 30, 40 yrs ago that no way would they ever move to VT today because of its national political reputation of being really a one party far left state, intolerant of any one elses views. Same thing is happening in far left states like NY (which is also losing population).

VT didn't use to be like this. Bernie and crew and lot of the far left folks that moved up from places like NY, NJ to VT in the 60's, 70's etc... to live their Marxist utopian dreams, got heavily into the politics and culture of the state and really shifted the overall politics of the state far left.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'm a California Republican and have spent 4 months a year in Killington since 2016. I would never advertise my political views, I am pretty much shunned as it is by the neighbors by my rental house. They see the California plates and for whatever reason, keep a wide berth. I would never put a Trump sticker on my bumper and if anyone would engage me in political chat, I would lie and say I was for Biden. I'm a pretty liberal conservative (forgive the oxymoron), and have no problem with gay marriage, am rabidly pro-environment, pro-animal rights and a vegan. But I am definitely not for higher taxes, or "woke." I'm opposed to illegals getting welfare, for instance.

I'm simply being honest and basing this on extensive experience living P/T in an affluent neighborhood in Killington.
I appreciate your perspective and share it! I moved here from CA in 2003 and live in the northwestern section of the state. I am usually 'informed' that my opinion and perspective about non-acceptance of other views here are simply 'wrong' or that I just have not met the right people, neither of which is true. It is what it is. But our last primary vote in town (a meager response but something like 150'ish republican and 200'ish democrat) illustrated for me that there are more conservatives in my area than I would have guessed, but you don't hear from those people. Of course, that could be an anomaly given the times. However, like me, unfortunately, they probably also think it is just easier to stay quiet. Problem is, they never show up to vote down the ever increasing education tax burden, so, as much as it pains me to say this, I have no use for them. We'll see what happens in March. Enjoy your time in Killington. It's a beautiful spot. You should visit Stowe, too, if you haven't already.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
VT has lost population for the last decade. I think its a little worrisome that VT only attracts one type of person that chooses to move to the state, those on the far left. The only conservatives or even moderates left in the state are multi-generational Vermonters that just haven't moved out yet only b/c they have family, job or reason they have to stay in VT (an example would be Governor Scott). I doubt nearly any moderates or conservatives actually pick VT as a place to move. So you get only one type of person moving here, the wonderfully morally superior, woke, far left "progressives". One things for sure, there will be no shortage of "progressive" non profits, social justice warriors, etc... I just wonder if there will be any one left to pay the taxes to fund this utopia?

I think that is worrisome. This was not the case 20, 30, 40 years ago. I know really great salt of the earth people who ran businesses, financially responsible taxpayers, that were say moderate Republicans that retired in VT or lived in VT 10, 20, 30, 40 yrs ago that no way would they ever move to VT today because of its national political reputation of being really a one party far left state, intolerant of any one elses views. Same thing is happening in far left states like NY (which is also losing population).

VT didn't use to be like this. Bernie and crew and lot of the far left folks that moved up from places like NY, NJ to VT in the 60's, 70's etc... to live their Marxist utopian dreams, got heavily into the politics and culture of the state and really shifted the overall politics of the state far left.
When we moved here in 2003, Governor Douglas was recently elected, and we thought there might be a shift coming, although we certainly we not very clear just how liberal and unaccepting these folks were when we did get here. We visited over the course of several years before moving. Vermont started out as a conservative state. It's those damn hippies that turned it into a progressive mess. LOL

Old 08-20-2020, 03:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
I've been trying to convince some to imitate the free state project here and get more freedom-minded people to move here and push the state rightward. Give the progs a dose of their own medicine.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:50 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I believe I addressed this above. If someone does no harm, insults no one, mistreats no one, minds their own business, but is known to have conservative beliefs, supports conservative candidates for office, etc., will it affect them socially or professionally?

By "Conservative" do you mean fiscally conservative, culturally conservative, a combination of those, or something else? For example I consider myself libertarian-conservative, strong 2nd Amendment supporter, indeed a strong supporter of all of Jefferson's Bill of Rights. But I am strongly pro-choice, and not actively religious. You may mean something completely different.

While I have never lived in either state, I have visited VT several times and went over into NH on most visits.

If one wants a more conservative version of VT, IMHO NH is just that. Just look out for property taxes, if you are OK with a relatively modest home in a non-trendy area, I think (I think, I don't know from experience, OK?) your tax burden would be quite low in NH.

VT forced their only nuclear power plant to close before the license expired, and I think this has affected power rates. The plant in NH is still going strong. That said, I am not certain Vermont Yankee was all that well run, there was a good bit of tritium contamination found in nearby ground water.

By all means take a few vacations and explore both states, not like they are very big. Don't just come in leaf time, take at least one trip in December to February. The winter in both states is no joke. It's more than I am willing to put up with, and I would never live there based on just that.

I sensed a strong cultural shift when I crossed the border. You may, or may not, depending on what's important to you.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:09 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
VT has a long history of voting republican BUT has never voted the same as Alabama in a presidential election.

So would a bible thumping, outwardly preachy social conservative be welcomed? Probably not because that is not the culture here, never has been. It's the least religious state in the country
Of course it has.

Bush carried both Vermont and Alabama in 1988. Reagan carried both states twice, in 1984 and in 1980. Nixon carried both of them while McGovern was winning only Massachusetts in 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont