Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Social Conservatives Welcome In Vermont?
Yes, you can be openly conservative and there will be no negative social or professional consequences 3 14.29%
Depends. Some places are welcoming, others are not 12 57.14%
No, if you're conservative you will need to prevent others from knowing this, or you can expect negative social and professional consequences 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times

Advertisements

This is key information for social conservatives considering relocating to Vermont. Are they free to let people know they're conservative, or will there be negative social and professional consequences unless they prevent others from knowing they're conservative?

If there are some places that are welcoming to social conservatives and others that are not, please mention one or two places that are.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,182 times
VT as a whole is a very democrat/progressive leaning state and in much of the state I'd think socially conservative stances would be anathema. Perhaps in the NEK and around Rutland you might find a bit more political diversity but only one county in the state went for Trump in 2016 and in most he garnered less than a third of the vote.

VT, much like the rest of the country, is extremely polarized politically, with everyone certain that their views are the only right ones. There's little room for heterodox political opinions these days and in much of the state that would mean anything "right leaning". Due to the rural nature of much of the state there is still some respect for personal liberties and a "live and let live" attitude outside of the cities/larger towns but that is being slowly eroded by transplants and the reps in Montpelier.

Anecdotally, here in Chittenden County, it seems diversity of political opinion has no value so I'd strongly recommend keeping your opinions to the ballot box or among known "friendly company", lest you draw the wrath of your political opponents.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
While I am not socially conservative I would welcome anyone who pushes things back to the middle by not voting far left. The NEK is certainly the most conservative area. Essex County especially.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
In 2016 I was surprised by the number of Trump signs I saw throughout rural Vermont. Outside of places like Burlington, Stowe, and Brattleboro, you certainly won't be the only conservative/republican. I'd imagine a sizable minority of republicans in and around Burlington, they just tend to keep their political beliefs hush.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:09 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
In the NEK someone extremely right wing would fit in really well. Of course, there's very little up there, just rural areas with farms and little stores. Extremely horrible, long cold winters too. My family used to tell me about it--and most of them moved to MA or CT where winters are long and cold but nowhere nearly as bad as in the NEK.

If you go near a college town anywhere, you'll find people are far left wing for the most part. Brattleboro, forget it.

I'm a moderate Democrat and most of my Vermont family members seem to be the same--or maybe a little bit more left wing than I am. No one is for riots and looting and I don't think that's left wing liberals. I think that's some kind of outside groups.

I'm not sure about areas of VT that border on NH but NH certainly is conservative for the most part. Just a hop, skip and a jump across the river!

Old 07-09-2020, 07:00 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I moved to the NEK from central NH in 1987 and wouldn't live anywhere else. Winters are usually excellent, meaning consistently cold with a good deal of snow cover. Farms and small stores aren't bad things, y'know. I find that people who grew up here tend to be more conservative than us transplants. That of course is a generalization. I'm somewhere in the middle and rarely discuss politics anyway, though I keep up on issues and haven't missed an election in 50 years.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:22 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,913 times
VT has a long history of voting republican BUT has never voted the same as Alabama in a presidential election.

So would a bible thumping, outwardly preachy social conservative be welcomed? Probably not because that is not the culture here, never has been. It's the least religious state in the country

Old 07-10-2020, 02:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
There was in fact an article published in Playboy in the 1970's suggesting how VT could be taken over by the far left. https://stevehickey.files.wordpress....er-vermont.pdf

It wouldn't take too many coming here to push it the other way today. In fact I've repeatedly suggested to the free staters in NH they picked the wrong state given the population differences. VT for a century following the Civil War simply did not elect democrats. Things only changed politically when urbanites began moving here in droves. I'd say I'm in the middle politically and I think many in VT are as well, but the population of Chittenden County more or less runs the state's politics and that county is of course far-left politically. It might be surprising to some but sometimes elections for representatives or senators comes down to just a few votes in some districts.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:09 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This is key information for social conservatives considering relocating to Vermont. Are they free to let people know they're conservative, or will there be negative social and professional consequences unless they prevent others from knowing they're conservative?

If there are some places that are welcoming to social conservatives and others that are not, please mention one or two places that are.
I think fiscal conservatism is very welcome. Thriftiness is a time honored New England value. As is minding one's own business.

That last part is where social conservatives could get into trouble. Minding their own business.

How would a "social" conservative deal with a libertarian witch who is pro gun and pro choice?

Old 07-12-2020, 08:25 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How would a "social" conservative deal with a libertarian witch who is pro gun and pro choice?
Politics and personal behavior are unrelated. Someone can be liberal or conservative and mind their own business. Someone can be liberal or conservative and interfere in other peoples' lives.

For the purposes of this thread, the question is will someone be treated differently by their neighbors, peers at work, potential employers, etc. if they're known to be socially conservative? E.g., if someone puts up a lawn sign promoting a conservative political candidate, will their neighbors who have been on good terms with them for a while start to ostracize them (even a little)? Will it affect their performance review at work or chance of being offered a job? If they own a business, will people choose to go somewhere else because of it?

I appreciate all of the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont