Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Waterbury -- what kind of grocery store?hardware store? Anything else there?

Businesses in Waterbury here:

Waterbury, Vermont - Just What You're Looking For (http://www.waterburyvt.com/business/directory/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Waterbury has some really good restaurants -The Alchemist and a new Thai place that is supposed to be great, along with Hen of the Woods. There is a large supermarket (Shaws). Waterbury's population according to the 2000 census was 4900. If you are applying for a job with WDEV, they are a very well respected and popular radio station here in northern Vermont.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM

947 posts, read 3,573,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Waterbury has some really good restaurants -The Alchemist and a new Thai place that is supposed to be great, along with Hen of the Woods. There is a large supermarket (Shaws). Waterbury's population according to the 2000 census was 4900. If you are applying for a job with WDEV, they are a very well respected and popular radio station here in northern Vermont.
Weird, City Data list the population as 1700 and change (//www.city-data.com/city/Waterbury-Vermont.html) but the US Census lists it as 5348

Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
The 1700 number might be the village of Waterbury (the downtown area). The 5300 would be for the whole town.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM

947 posts, read 3,573,282 times
Quote:
The 1700 number might be the village of Waterbury (the downtown area). The 5300 would be for the whole town.
After I read a little more, I kinda figured that!!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
The Shaws supermarket is huge and has probably anything and everything you could possibly need...I also like that they carry locally sourced products as well as national brands. As Vter said, there are very many good restaurants in the area...I don't know too much about the schools except that they aren't bad - sorry, not much help. It's a great location if you like to ski - you'll be close to Stowe, Bolton and the MRV. And heading to Burlington won't be so bad either.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,759,234 times
Quote:
Waterbury has some really good restaurants -The Alchemist and a new Thai place that is supposed to be great, along with Hen of the Woods.
Love the Alchemist!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,802 times
Default Waterbury village might be a better fit if you don't have a car

The GMTA shuttle runs through Waterbury Center, but it makes its last run around dinner time. Plus, I've noticed people waiting for what seems like a long time to catch a ride.

I personally think it would be very difficult to live in the area without a car, especially on the weekends. I do know two people who don't drive to help cut down on global warming; one hitch-hikes everywhere and one rides his bike pretty much year round. They both are young and single and manage to do O.K., but these aren't viable opitons for everyone.

If you are going to be carless, I would consider living in Waterbury village. It's a really cute town and very walkable with great restaurants, a nice cafe, a good brewery, a small supermarket, a large drug and variety store, hair salons, etc. I also think it would be easier to catch the GMTA shuttle there since there are a lot of people who wait for it near the state office complex and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters.

If you do have a car, Waterbury Center is great. I rented a house there for a year when I first moved to Vermont and really enjoyed the Maple Street neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 17,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I see Waterbury is a town of barely 1000 people. I may be applying for a job there.. I'm curious, what stores are there.... what kind of grocery store?hardware store? Anything else there?
The state of Vermont Office Complex. Nearly all of the admistrative functions of the state are run out of Waterbury. It's a very busy place during the day. It's a sweet little town, though. I'm seriously considering it (and it's surrounds) for my upcoming move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont