Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times

Advertisements

Saw a couple of interesting interviews on WCAX tonight about the Upper Valley economy. It was with the UV Chamber Director and the Lebanon City Manager.

One of the few areas in the country where homes are selling above accessed value as a result of a strong and diversified business base. Healthcare, biotech, he went down a large list and ended with the most obvious, retail. Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital alone provides 6,000 good paying with great benefits jobs.

The main negetive they mentioned was that as a result of a strong local economy housing prices are high.

Nice to hear some good economic news even if it just effects one specific region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
LOL. Just posted at the same exact time about King Arthur Flour, an Upper Valley company who just receieved some major kudos.
I agree, its nice to hear about the good things happening in the UV.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Great, now if I could be one of those people benefiting and get a good job here in the Valley, I'd be very happy. Competition for these 'good jobs' is very fierce. There are plenty of retail jobs---!!

How many people WANT to work for $8-10 bucks an hour? Who can afford to live on that?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
I don't see it. Dartmouth isn't that great to work for. My house has been on the market for three weeks(through a realtor) without a request for a viewing/more info. Asking price is what we paid three years ago, granted that may be too high. Going to wait until post election to lower the price.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Yeah, on the Dartmouth front...guy called me about a job there...not in education but in 'something to do with the college' (rather not go into specifics). Remember I have a Masters Degree and BA...guy said we'd like to talk more to you and see if you will be in the group that MAY be interviewed eventually and this process will whittle down the people till there is one candidate. This will take approx. 8 weeks! Okay...the guy wanted to pay IF I got the job something like $11.00 an hour...I said no, I can't do what you're asking anyhow (time was not good for me...I couldn't work the hours). Guy sounds desperate and says what about X and what hours can you work? I said what is it paying? He says...$8.50 an hour...

Mind you, this is in the discipline I have a MASTERS in...I said to the man, I am sorry, I can't work for that sort of money..! (note you can go work in Shaw's for $8/hr).

The guy said look at the benefits page of our website...I DON'T care...I need $$ not extra days off or whatever...!!
People pay HUGE tuition to go to an Ivy League school--share the wealth a little bit...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I don't see it. Dartmouth isn't that great to work for. My house has been on the market for three weeks(through a realtor) without a request for a viewing/more info.
Only three weeks? What in the world did you expect?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Only three weeks? What in the world did you expect?
Don't expect it to be sold, but no one has looked or contacted the realtor (LMSRE) for more info. Maybe I'm wrong but I would think that there should at least be some tire kickers/half hearted shoppers. VT isn't MI yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,884 times
Quote:
Don't expect it to be sold, but no one has looked or contacted the realtor (LMSRE) for more info. Maybe I'm wrong but I would think that there should at least be some tire kickers/half hearted shoppers. VT isn't MI yet.
18 months on the market in Champlain Valley. 3700 sf house, 5 acres and detached 2 BR guest house and garage. Bought for 300k in Aug '05 Just AUCTIONED IT OFF in early August '08 256k. Very few showings and no offers. I would guess that winter is not a good time for real estate sales.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 PM

166 posts, read 441,531 times
While VT has not been effected as bad as the rest of the U.S. I think the effects are starting to be felt.

Foreclosures up 41 percent in Vermont

Through September, foreclosures have increased 41 percent, statewide, and have risen 74 percent in Chittenden County, compared with the same period last year, according to state data.

Half of the people calling the state’s mortgage assistance hot line say they are missing housing payments because they have lost a job or have had a decline in household income, said Tom Candon, deputy banking commissioner.

Foreclosures up 41 percent in Vermont | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the Upper Valley economy or even Vermont. There is a national credit freeze right affecting everyone including business. There is no one checking out your house cause it's nearly impossible right now for anyone, even those with great credit, to get a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont