Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 AM

121 posts, read 563,493 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on what living full time in the village of Woodstock is like? Is it real or just a tourist trap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
I'm a Realtor, but Woodstock is far out of my area. On visits it's charmed me, but I was just a tourist.

I can tell you however, that it was one of Charles Osgood's favorite places in the country. You may remember Charlie from his CBS Sunday Morning and On The Road programs.

I have a client who moved there a few years ago. I'd be happy to sound him out for you if you like. Just PM me if you like.

Thanks,
David

Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
As a native Vermonter, Woodstock is "fake" IMO. It's a town that caters to tourists, and it gives tourists the "Vermont" that they read about in Vermont Life. A lot of wealthy out-of-staters have settled there or have second homes there. The couple times I've spend time there I noticed that out of state cars far outnumber Vermont ones!
Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice town, but not what I would consider "real Vermont". St. Johnsbury, Morrisville, Bristol, St. Albans - those are real Vermont towns IMO.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,898 times
I'm going to assume you've got the sort of coin that you'll need in order to live full-time in Woodstock, VT. That being said, it's a great town, but it's some distance from major grocery outlets. There is a small grocery there, it was originally a Grand Union (?) but it has changed hands more than once I believe and when I left Vermont in '04 it was a family owned affair. Keep in mind that traffic can be a bear through Woodstock.

If I think of Vermont towns most suitable for folks of a certain tax bracket, Woodstock is included in that list. But I'd put others higher on that list. I think better choices would include Middlebury, Shelburne, Dorset.

"Real Vermont" means different things to different people. My father David Pecor was born on a farm in Essex Center. He was a brick mason, his father was a brick mason, his father's father was a brick mason, his father's, oh well you get the idea. To my father, anyone willing to move to Vermont, help build the economy, and freeze their nuts off for six months of the year was Real Vermonter material

Sean

Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
As a native Vermonter, Woodstock is "fake" IMO. It's a town that caters to tourists, and it gives tourists the "Vermont" that they read about in Vermont Life. A lot of wealthy out-of-staters have settled there or have second homes there. The couple times I've spend time there I noticed that out of state cars far outnumber Vermont ones!
Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice town, but not what I would consider "real Vermont". St. Johnsbury, Morrisville, Bristol, St. Albans - those are real Vermont towns IMO.
I am not a native VTer, but I have the same opinion. On the weekends you would think you were in NY by the looks of all of the license plates.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
woodstock is great, why is it fake--because it has money? Grafton is lovely too.

you would love it there

Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
No...it's not so much the money. It's more that it has this "perfect" image to it. It's quaint. Nothing is out of place. Houses all the same color etc.
Never been to Grafton, but would like to visit. I like the cheese

Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
It's more that it has this "perfect" image to it. It's quaint. Nothing is out of place. Houses all the same color etc.
Dude, you should travel south before you make that judgement There are new cities down here like Cary, NC that are so perfect and neatly trimmed that it's unsettling. To me Woodstock emits a pleasant eclectic colonial vibe, much like Leesburg, VA does. I don't remember houses being painted the same color in Woodstock. Lots of clapboard and brick colonials and cape cods, and all were well maintained, but not homogeneous at all. Maybe it's changed since I last visited in '03 though.

Sean

Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,345 times
I am down the road from Woodstock; Woodstock is wonderful, great shops, friendly people...think it is worth a trip to visit and make your own determination.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I am down the road from Woodstock; Woodstock is wonderful, great shops, friendly people...think it is worth a trip to visit and make your own determination.
Agreed. I don't think it's fake, I think the people there genuinely want and support the "Vermont Life" Magz version of "small town Vermont" that so many covet.

I'd say a large percentage of the population are well-moneyed transplants, so what? it is what it is.... I won't bag on people for using what they've got to make a certain life for themselves. It's not like they've tried to turn Woodstock into Manhattan, just the opposite actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont