Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 AM

30 posts, read 178,270 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have searched the threads for this, but I can;t find my answer. My apologies if this has already been answered.

What is the average monthly premium for Family Health Care with maternity in Vermont? Here in NC, its about $400 and in Wisconsin (other possibility) its about $260 a month.

I noticed Vermont has a few State level health plans, but can;t find any quotes or a ballpark figure of the monthly costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 02:20 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
In New England health care insurance is expensive. However there are significant changes here and more coming;
In Massachusetts they are in the process of providing Universal Health care- meaning everyone MUST have insurance. The amount you pay is based on your income- a sliding scale, instead of the amount being set by underwriters based on age or pre existing conditions.

Connecticut is in the process of doing something very similar.

This will reduce the costs of health care and hopefully provide coverage for all at an affordable rate- I do not know if Vermont is in the process of following the lead of Massachusetts.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Health insurance is very expensive here. Currently I have coverage through an employer and it costs me $260 mo, but in a few years plan on retiring and compared policies through BC/BS. For just myself and spouse we are looking at $800+ p/mo here. Checked BC/BS in SW Virginia (a possible future destination) and a more comprehensive policy with much lower deductables and the price would be around $440 p/mo. For exact amounts and coverages available you need to contact the insurers for that information. I would not count on seeing any substantial reduction in premium costs here in the future.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM

30 posts, read 178,270 times
That is atrocious! The cost of insurance for my wife and me in Vermont is the reason that breaks the "camel's back". Thank you for telling us this. We will not move there.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
I don't mean to cast a pall of economic doom and gloom on VT and realize that everyone's situation could be different, but it is vital that everyone do the research necessary to determine the impact a relocation could impose on a person or family.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Blue Cross in Connecticut costs me $383 A month- I am 55 yo. I have a $1500 deductible- plus no prescription coverage- thats $90 a month more-including copays- I buy my meds from Canada.

I agree that costs are atrocious. It puzzles me how government can allow these vultures known also as Insurance companies to suck the blood out of people.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
From what I have read, Vermont is losing people because of its high cost of living and its low salaries.

Organica, you may want to write to the Vermont state government and tell them why you have decided not to move to Vermont. It may not make a difference, but politicians are sensitive to letters, I have heard; they reason that for every person who writes, there are many others who feel the same way but don't write.

Of course, since you don't vote in Vermont, they might not be quite so sensitive.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I'm wondering if there are group insurance programs for people who do not work in benefitted jobs. Here in New York, we have the Freelancers' Union. It provides health and other insurance at group rates for freelancers and independent contractors. It was an individual and/or grass-roots intiative that took off. They may want to be expanding to other states, if possible. Their website is freelancersunion.org. I think they are also expanding in advocacy work. I think it is a terrific movement.

Another possibility is insurance through the local Chamber of Commerce, if a group plan is offered, and you qualify for membership.

I am also researching health insurance in Vermont. Not fun.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I'm lucky in that my employer picks up pretty much all of my health care insurance costs. I pay a little over $30 a month for great coverage.
Check out the Catamount Health Plan offered by the State. I think it goes into effect in October.
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/HealthCar...e_feb_2006.htm

Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 PM

110 posts, read 473,776 times
Unfortunately if one does not have employer provided insurance you are pretty much stuck with Blue Cross and Blue Shield. You will not be denied coverage for any reason, but conversely we all will pay exhorbitant rates partially because of this fact.

Also, don't even bother trying to check online at ehealthinsurance or any similar sites as Vermont does not allow you to purchase insurance out of state.

I have attached a current rate sheet from BC&BS....sorry if it is somewhat blurry, but I think you will be able to make out the rates for various sized families as well as the various deductibles offered.

If you hold your mouse on the image and left click it will zoom in and make it more readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Health Insurance cost?-rate-sheet.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont