Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times

Advertisements

After reading so much in this forum about the bad state of the Vermont economy, I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to move up there. Maybe I should move to upstate New York or even to Virginia! Maybe I should stay in the NYC area, or even stay in Brooklyn.

Maybe the naysayers feel more of a need to write than people who are happier there, but the overall tone I get about Vermont is negative.

I'm sure the cost of living is lower than here in NYC, but should I bother?

What do people think the future holds for southern Vermont in general, Brattleboro in particular?

Is it worth it to move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Arel....there is a strong vocal minority on this board. I think if you poll most folks who live here, they are content.
The only way to find out for yourself is to go for it!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM

198 posts, read 801,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Arel....there is a strong vocal minority on this board. I think if you poll most folks who live here, they are content.
The only way to find out for yourself is to go for it!
Is it really "a strong vocal minority"? There definitely are some strong opinions, but I am not sure these are minority opinions. But it is true, the only way you will know if Vermont is the right choice for you is to decide if you can deal with what others view as positives and negatives. The state is obviously "right" for some.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM

I percieve it as a vocal minority, but thats just my opinion. Between my family, friends, and Job, I've gotten to know LOTS of folks, none of which are unhappy here.
But, like I said, thats just my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
Pucabear - I do wish you the best of luck on your move...hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,395 times
I dont know if 'vocal minority' is meant to be a subtle insult
but I think all opinions are valid. The 'vocal minority' of which
I suppose I am, have real and valid issues other people coming to
this forum should be aware of. You will never know if Vermont is for
you by reading this forum. You have to come and experience it for
yourself. Depending on what your personal priorities are and what you
want them to be you may find your own utopia or you might find hell.
We found hell wrapped in a gorgeous green covering. Was no money
to live on(58K between us) after taxes and cost of living issues and
suffering soul crushing jobs worth it to experience 6 months of beautiful
green countryside and a slower pace worth it to us ?? A resounding "No" !!
All the stuff that is positive about Vermont is available in other places at
less of a cost. Your opinion, as others here, may be way different and
hopefully would.
Again, for the zillionth time....have a job lined up before you get here.
If you are younger, I would only consider Burlington and maybe Montpelier
in a pinch, but nowhere else. I would rent and make sure I had plenty
of saved money for any unexpected expenses. Just an opinion
from the 'vocal minority'

Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Kozmic...no subtle jab intended. I also wish you the best of luck with whereever you end up.
You are right - you'll never know for yourself unless you come here. Some people hate it, some people love it. It pains me to hear of folks who have negative experiences here because I love my home state so much. BUT...having been in your boat (Boston - moved there after college and HATED it, lasted 6ish years before I came back), I can understand what you are feeling.
And....DITTO on coming up here with a job. I think folks often forget that this is a state with only a little over 600K people, 200kish of which are in Chittenden County. This is smaller than most American cities! So yes...we have a small economy. Good jobs ARE out there, they are just hard to come by due to the small number of them and the competition for them.
I've found and often heard that it also pays to network here....if you know someone up here that can give you a reference, that will get you a long way.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 98,496 times
I think the main thing is to determine why you actually want to move, and then get specific about your concerns (i.e. 'the economy sucks' is too broad and doesn't help you much. Try 'what's the cost of living like in Brattleboro, and what jobs tend to be available'). Also, places tend to change very very slowly, so I wouldn't worry about the future of Brattleboro.

Obviously, take a trip there if you haven't. Talk to people, get a feel for the place, look at apartments, and scan the paper for jobs. Whatever you do, don't buy a house until you've lived there a while (houses in Brattleboro are oddly expensive, to me). Finally, after following these discussions for a while, in several states, a few things are obvious:
1- the same people tend to post alot, which skews the perspective. Take these generalizations with a big grain of salt, either way.
2- Vermont is too diverse to generalize about. Try comparing Bennington to Burlington and you'll get nowhere. For example, saying that there are "no jobs" in Vermont and the cost of living is so outrageous is too broad a statement. If you wind up moving to a remote area of Vermont, you may find it hard to get by, but Brattleboro is a different story.
3- Ignore posts by the very negative or the exceedingly positive. Take time to think about what you REALLY want from your move and then ask questions along those lines. For example, when i was thinking about moving to Florida, I focused on the weather, when really the sprawl and rampant development (the ugliness in general) were bigger concerns. When I figured out more specific things, I quickly eliminated Florida.

What are you looking for from your move Arel?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM

43 posts, read 177,553 times
Smile for some I'm sure...

I posted this on another thread, but felt it appropriate here as well...

We're looking to move to the Burlington area in about 3 years, when our son finishes HS, and my husband is more established in his job that he started 6 weeks ago. His job allows him to live anywhere, and we've always wanted to live in Northern VT, so we figure now's the time! It's a very well paying job, (over $130K) which certainly helps, especially since most of the negatives have to do with job/income.

I've literally read everything about Vermont and Burlington, and despite having not been to the Burlington area itself I am 99.9% certain (nothing's 100% is it?) that it is the place for us. We ski in VT every year, and occasionaly visit other times. We've stayed in Stowe, Waitsfield, Chester, Killington, Rutland, Quechee, Ludlow, Londonderry, Brattleboro, Bennington, and it feels like 'coming home' every time, can't explain it, just feels like a big hug. I wanted to go to college in Vermont, the ONLY place I wanted to go (well outside of CO but my parents vetoed that right away) but silly me fell in love and chose location of college close to then boyfriend over my true wants! My husband and I met in Vermont (skiing) and would have married there if his parent's weren't such winter weenies (we married end of December). So there's definitely something there, as my husband feels the same way about 'coming home'.

We've rented a cottage on Lake Champlain this summer for 2 weeks, to check out the area and this is the first time I've ever wished for summer to show up (we're not hot weather lovers), as I really can't wait to explore the area. I know my view seems very 'pollyannaish" but I am an extremely optomistic person. We're very laid back, easy going people, who do not 'keep up with the Jones' on anything, which in our area is a common practice.

We're looking for a place where the pace is slower, outdoor recreation is common and a part of daily life, and there are real winters.

I think Arel if you have a job (well paying would help) the cost of living/taxes won't be an issue for you coming from NYC. My sister lived in NYC and she readily admitted how skewed her reality was in terms of what things cost. So the majority of complaints are not much different than the area where you live or wher I live. I live in a suburb of Philly, where our property taxes are very high, and compared to what I've found in VT they're significantly higher here, as I am certain they are in NYC as well.

Anyway, thanks to all you Vermonters, native or not, for your wonderful posts, keep them coming. Looking forward to the day when we call VT home.
Arel, good luck on your decision, from everything I've read on your posts, it seems like a good fit, but you won't know for sure until you try it!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM

198 posts, read 801,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I percieve it as a vocal minority, but thats just my opinion. Between my family, friends, and Job, I've gotten to know LOTS of folks, none of which are unhappy here.
But, like I said, thats just my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
Pucabear - I do wish you the best of luck on your move...hope you find what you are looking for!
Thanks I appreciate that! I really believe alot has to do with where you are from, and what your "norm" is.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 AM

I agree Puca...I grew up in the Northeast Kingdom, on a dirt road. I prefer this lifestyle to a city/suburban one, though I do like having Burlington close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont