Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM

274 posts, read 673,709 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Chittenden County from NH. Yes, the area has lost some jobs but not as bad as in other parts of the country. I'd say it is comparable to where I came from in NH. I live in Williston where the shopping is and the parking lot is still packed every day, and the chain restaurants still have people waiting outside. The only downside is that it's a relatively small market so if you have a specialized job, it could be hard to find another one if need be. The upside is the wonderful way of life! We love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 104,474 times
Thank you for the wonderful and positive reply.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,802 times
A 30something gay, male, partnered friend of mine who lives in Burlington says:

"Burlington as a whole is very easy to live in, especially compared to the rest of the country!
I'd say they're pretty safe ANYWHERE they move here in Burlington and surrounding cities/towns."

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

"Burlington as a whole is very easy to live in, especially compared to the rest of the country!
I'd say they're pretty safe ANYWHERE they move here in Burlington and surrounding cities/towns."
With the possible exception of Colchester/Milton/Winooski.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM

102 posts, read 313,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Friends of ours moved here 10 yrs. ago for a job opportunity and feel the same. They bought in a town outside of Burlington and have been very happy in Vermont. They immersed themselves in the small town community, do volunteer work, etc. We've spent a lot of time with them and I have never heard any regrets from either guy.

For a major dose of culture you have to travel, but we are lucky that Montreal, NYC and Boston are within easy reach. With a little research, you can find some neat stuff locally. We introduced our friends to a few places her in Southern VT, art galleries, theater, etc. and they were impressed.

Last edited by Duff in VT; 09-09-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff in VT View Post
Friends of ours moved here 10 yrs. ago for a job opportunity and feel the same. They bought in a town outside of Burlington and have been very happy in Vermont. They immersed themselves in the small town community, do volunteer work, etc. We've spent a lot of time with them and I have never heard any regrets from either guy.

For a major dose of culture you have to travel, but we are lucky that Montreal, NYC and Boston are within easy reach. With a little research, you can find some neat stuff locally. We introduced our friends to a few places her in Southern VT, art galleries, theater, etc. and they were impressed.
Yeah, I was mostly joking. Vermonters are either tolerant of others, or keep their opinions to themselves, for the most part. Gay people will definitely not have a problem here.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM

18 posts, read 104,474 times
Thanks to everyone for the information from personal experience as well as thoughts from friends. This has been really helpful. I'm here in Burlington now, and loving it! Great place so far.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP33SN View Post
I'm here in Burlington now, and loving it! Great place so far.
Yay! Have a wonderful time.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM

82 posts, read 229,496 times
Yay. i hope you're finding people to be supportive and kind. I wasn't sure of your gender, (I assumed it was male) but I had friends mention it was a bit easier to be lesbian rather than gay, and they had a harder time creating a social network with other gay males, but over time have developed some great friends, though these tend to be with other transplants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont