Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times

Advertisements

I know this is pretty vague, but I have been considering a move to Vermont now and am trying to figure out how much the cost of living is. I know people always whine about the high cost of living, but I currently live in RI, which has a pretty high cost of living.

Can anyone give me the cost per kWh for electricity, the average heating cost, insurance, etc? To help, I'm considering moving to the Burlington area.

It seems as though property taxes are a little higher than they are for my home in Providence, but homeowner's insurance is quite a bit less from what I've read. The VT income tax is about the same as it is in RI.

Also, I can't find anything on a motor vehicle excise tax for any of the towns and cities of VT. Is this a local tax, a state tax, or non-existent? The only thing I found was the purchase and use tax from the state DMV. Is that a yearly tax or just for buying a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,301,828 times
No yearly tax on your car. Just registration and inspection fees. I'll let others chime in on the rest.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,721,332 times
Here's a link to the fuel price report compiled monthly by the Public Service Department:

VT Fuel Price Report : Vermont Department of Public Service

As you can see, it addresses the costs of the major household fuels, even wood and coal. I think we're paying about $0.14 per kilowatt hour for electricity right now.

I don't know if there is a comparable resource in Rhode Island. I suspect that you will find that heating costs tend to be higher because the winters are colder, but that you are unlikely to incur substantial, if any, cooling costs.

One factor that you don't mention at all is housing costs, which can be highly variable within Vermont. Probably higher in the Burlington area than the rest of the state, but again, I don't know how our housing costs compare to those in RI.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM

That does help quite a bit. Housing costs are the easy one to find. Just look on any real estate site. The Burlington area is comparable to Providence, though we really lucked out with the house we bought down here and got a great deal. The main reason they're so low here is because of all the foreclosures. I don't know if VT was hit as hard with foreclosures as RI, but in general, the prices are comparable.

While we had an unseasonably cold summer here, we ran a single window AC unit in the evenings or overnight for about 4 weeks. I think while the days can get just as warm up there, the nights are cooler, which is what matters most to us (nothing worse than sleeping in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity).

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
While we had an unseasonably cold summer here, we ran a single window AC unit in the evenings or overnight for about 4 weeks. I think while the days can get just as warm up there, the nights are cooler, which is what matters most to us (nothing worse than sleeping in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity).

Tonight is one of those nights for us. Bleah. Without the AC, we'd be sweating in damp sheets.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Must be like that for all of New England. We've had nice dry weather down here and now it's humid again. You haven't slept in a damp bed until you've slept in Narragansett, RI in August.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,676,039 times
You should also look into what the same job will pay in Vt vs where you are now. Just looking at the Census Bureau info that came out this week, the median incomes for the Southern New England states range from 10-20,000 more per year. I belive R.I. was the only state outside of Maine in New England that was close to Vermont.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 AM

Yeah... RI's salaries are not in line with CT or MA even though our cost of living is similar. RI's economy is similar to VT in that it is very much based on tourism. Lots of service jobs and blue collar work here, even with the presence of an Ivy League university.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I know this is pretty vague, but I have been considering a move to Vermont now and am trying to figure out how much the cost of living is. I know people always whine about the high cost of living, but I currently live in RI, which has a pretty high cost of living.

Can anyone give me the cost per kWh for electricity, the average heating cost, insurance, etc? To help, I'm considering moving to the Burlington area.

It seems as though property taxes are a little higher than they are for my home in Providence, but homeowner's insurance is quite a bit less from what I've read. The VT income tax is about the same as it is in RI.

Also, I can't find anything on a motor vehicle excise tax for any of the towns and cities of VT. Is this a local tax, a state tax, or non-existent? The only thing I found was the purchase and use tax from the state DMV. Is that a yearly tax or just for buying a car?
Let me guess... VT is the home of Phish, so you want to come here and live in a hippie paradise?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Let me guess... VT is the home of Phish, so you want to come here and live in a hippie paradise?
It's been one of my favorite places since I was a kid before I even knew Phish existed (which was before they were known outside Vermont).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont