Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
How does Vermont protect the Vermont brand?
It is some god awful crime in VT to mislabel maple syrup as being from VT. Not that the stuff is any different. The state charged someone with fraud/copyright or some such I don't recall the exact details because their food company(iirc salsa) moved some of its production outside the state. I understand production was moved because they could not find anyone in state capable of doing the job. Never mind that HQ was in VT. The state abusing the little guys as VT is chicken to go after Smoky Mountain Coffee Roasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It is some god awful crime in VT to mislabel maple syrup as being from VT. Not that the stuff is any different. The state charged someone with fraud/copyright or some such I don't recall the exact details because their food company(iirc salsa) moved some of its production outside the state. I understand production was moved because they could not find anyone in state capable of doing the job. Never mind that HQ was in VT. The state abusing the little guys as VT is chicken to go after Smoky Mountain Coffee Roasters.
Would that be Green Mountain Gringo Salsa?

from their site FAQ:

"Where is Green Mountain Gringo Located?
Our production facilities are currently located in Winston-Salem, NC."

They were bought out by some NC chip company back in 2004, which has since moved facilities down south. Prior to this, I used to buy GMG salsa all the time. Now I don't. I'd sooner support my neighbors in VT than some corporation in NC.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 AM

That is probably them- I don't recall the details. I have no problem with them moving facilities and I have no problem with folks not buying their product because of it. But to have the state go after people for making victimless choices is lunacy.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It's not victimless. Misrepresenting the point of origin of a product is consumer fraud.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM

The labels said where the salsa came from. VT went after them for the product name. That isn't fraud that is ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Quote:
The maple thing your referring to is when a producer was mixing corn syrup with maple syrup. He went to prison deservingly so.

They can make any product they want out of state just don't say it's made in Vermont, as someone with a clue mentioned, it's consumer fraud.

I never ceases to amaze me that you admit that you don't know the details but that doesn't stop you from posting an uninformed comment. Unreal

Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
That is probably them- I don't recall the details. I have no problem with them moving facilities and I have no problem with folks not buying their product because of it. But to have the state go after people for making victimless choices is lunacy.
The problem is that the GMG company was sold to an NC company; this isn't a case of the original owner moving operations out of state. The new owner deliberately retained the Green Mountain Gringo name in order to cash in on the Vermont association. It is a misrepresentation of product origin as another poster has stated.

Out-of-state consumers associate Vermont products with natural, wholesome, goodness; family-owned farms. I see GMG products on the supermarket shelves on LI -- I would wager many people see Green Mountain on the label and associate the aforementioned postives with the product, unaware that it is being concocted in a large factory in NC.

Buying Vermont made products supports Vermonters. The state might not make it easy for business, but at least it is trying to prevent outsiders from usurping and diminishing the 'quality' many of us have come to associate from Vermont based goods and products.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM

What about Green Mountain Coffee Roasters then? They have a roasting facility in TN and bought out a smaller coffee company out West(I believe they retained the name on that one but who knows if supply lines cross.) Should they be banned from selling TN roasted coffee as Green Mountain? Besides coffee beans don't grow in VT so can coffee ever be a VT product? Is it bad to see VT products in NY stores? Why? Mad River Canoes have been made in NC for the last ten years should they be forced to change their name? How many people know there is a real Mad River and it isn't a made up name? It gets silly. We've spent the last ten thousand years expanding trade all around the planet at great human risk to improve our lives and now we should stop interstate commerce? Lunacy.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
What about Green Mountain Coffee Roasters then? They have a roasting facility in TN and bought out a smaller coffee company out West(I believe they retained the name on that one but who knows if supply lines cross.) Should they be banned from selling TN roasted coffee as Green Mountain? Besides coffee beans don't grow in VT so can coffee ever be a VT product?
You've answered your own question. Most people are intelligent enough to know coffee beans aren' grown in VT and that the very name of the company implies that they merely roast the beans. In the case of salsa, all salsa products can be grown in Vermont, and in the GMG case, had been grown in VT and the salsa produced in VT

Quote:
Is it bad to see VT products in NY stores? Why? Mad River Canoes have been made in NC for the last ten years should they be forced to change their name? How many people know there is a real Mad River and it isn't a made up name? It gets silly. We've spent the last ten thousand years expanding trade all around the planet at great human risk to improve our lives and now we should stop interstate commerce? Lunacy.
I never wrote that it is bad to see VT products in NY stores -- how did you jump to that conclusion? I wrote that the people in NY might by GMG salsa with the belief it is produced in VT based upon the name, when in reality it is a NC concoction.

BTW -- did you know that there are companies in Wyoming named Mad River (______)? A river name, or town name (i.e. Springfield) are far more common cross country than the state name. As school children we learn about the various mountain chains: the Green, White, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc. Many people are familiar with where the Green Mountains are, and if they aren't the name Vermont sort of gives it away.

Look at where trade around the globe has gotten us. How many made in the USA products can you find that you purchase on a frequent basis? Look at how much comes from China, and then think about the issues China has with lax regulations concerning chemicals and toxins. The great human risk is in purchasing some of these contaminant laden Chinese goods.

People have come to realize that a Vermont product is a good product. Using the Vermont name to sell a non Vermont product cheapens all things Vermont and will ultimately impact the state's already weakened bottom-line.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
If they only moved to Colorado, NC or Ga then they could have kept the name Green Mountain. Each has a Green Mountain as well as businesses named Green Mountain(_________). Just having a little fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont