Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,245 times

Advertisements

When the pump stops it is close enough. If you need those last three ounces of fuel you are already several mistakes in the hole. Funny I watched a guy trying to fill his car to the very top, unbeknownst to him there was drain from the filler neck back under the car, the guy would squirt in an ounce and it would drain out under his car then he quirt in another ounce and it would drain out... Stupid but kinda funny to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM

986 posts, read 2,335,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Which reminds me of something else. I've always been told, "Let the flow-lock tell you when the tank is finished filling. Don't keep pumping after it's stopped." I've always adhered to that.

Meanwhile, I see people at the pumps all around continuing to pump-click, pump-click long past the initial flow-lock.

So, is this true? Should I continue pumping no more after the flow-lock stops the gas?
You're not gonna get much more gas after it stops the first time. Pumps are designed to stop when the tank is full. After all, it only goes into the fill hole a few inches and that's just a neck that leads down to the tank. No need to fill it more than that.

I will say that I've had pumps that stop when I first stick them in and pull the handle, but pulling it out and putting it back in helps. I've also had them overflow on me while i was standing there holding it. Heck, I've even had them leak out of the hose where it attaches to the handle.

RI pulls all the stop latches off the pumps and prohibits you from sticking your gas cap in it. I know someone who broke a gas cap from doing that because they didn't get it in right and it flung out and hit the ground pretty hard. I think there's also signs on the pumps to not leave them unattended. I remember back in the day when my parents would pump and run into the store to pick up stuff. That doesn't happen anymore. I don't even see many people do that.

As for states that are 100% full service, who cares as long as they have enough people manning the pumps? It creates more jobs and, at least in the case of NJ, gas is super cheap.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
As for states that are 100% full service, who cares as long as they have enough people manning the pumps? It creates more jobs and, at least in the case of NJ, gas is super cheap.
I care. See in NJ it is against the law to pump your own gas. Big fine if you get caught. Now if a gas station wants to go full service to get more customers fine let them, I bet you'd have plenty of takers in VT during winter if someone offered. But don't outlaw the option of self serve. There is a full service station on 7 in Middlebury somewhere, friendly folks pumping gas. IIRC the price was inline with everything else in the area.
PS Full service gas stations use pump locks and trust the flow stop device. The employees are too busy to stand there holding the handle on every car.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I care. See in NJ it is against the law to pump your own gas. Big fine if you get caught. Now if a gas station wants to go full service to get more customers fine let them, I bet you'd have plenty of takers in VT during winter if someone offered. But don't outlaw the option of self serve. There is a full service station on 7 in Middlebury somewhere, friendly folks pumping gas. IIRC the price was inline with everything else in the area.
PS Full service gas stations use pump locks and trust the flow stop device. The employees are too busy to stand there holding the handle on every car.
I think it's called Mustang, right next to the High School, I go there all the time. And often cheaper then the others.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
I think it's called Mustang, right next to the High School, I go there all the time. And often cheaper then the others.
The sign says Maverick...,not Mustang lol...oops

Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,109 times
When I am pumping gas, the trigger on the handle goes off every gallon or two. I can't rely on the flow lock. It is a small flat tank on a Dodge Caravan. I am very annoyed by it and have learned alot having this particular minivan. I even asked the dealership about it, but they didn't seem to get what the problem was. And, voila....I bought the van in Middlebury!! I am thinking of bringing it back into their shop for a once over since I'm about to hit warranty mileage. Sorry..I have gone a bit off topic! But to respond to the original post........I WISH I COULD LEAVE MY CAR WHEN IT IS PUMPING! Mine needs to be nursed every step of the way.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
When I am pumping gas, the trigger on the handle goes off every gallon or two. I can't rely on the flow lock. It is a small flat tank on a Dodge Caravan. I am very annoyed by it and have learned alot having this particular minivan. I even asked the dealership about it, but they didn't seem to get what the problem was. And, voila....I bought the van in Middlebury!! I am thinking of bringing it back into their shop for a once over since I'm about to hit warranty mileage. Sorry..I have gone a bit off topic! But to respond to the original post........I WISH I COULD LEAVE MY CAR WHEN IT IS PUMPING! Mine needs to be nursed every step of the way.
Try pulling the nozzle back an inch or two, if that doesn't work put the nozzle in further. I had a car like that if the nozzle was in too deep the flow lock would pop off constantly but adjusting where the nozzle was worked every time.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,351 times
I just came back to my car this afternoon after leaving it to pump itself and shopping in the Racetrac @ John Young and Oak Ridge. I saw no signs on the car itself, but there was a huge puddle of gas and later noticed gas in the wheel wells. It stank to high heaven, I almost broke my neck slipping on the gas. When I called to complain (I also ended up buying 2x the gas-over a whole tank's worth instead of 1/2 tank) they said that you're not supposed to leave the pump running unattended, that it's the law and that there are stickers. Lesson learned.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM

986 posts, read 2,335,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewardee2 View Post
I just came back to my car this afternoon after leaving it to pump itself and shopping in the Racetrac @ John Young and Oak Ridge. I saw no signs on the car itself, but there was a huge puddle of gas and later noticed gas in the wheel wells. It stank to high heaven, I almost broke my neck slipping on the gas. When I called to complain (I also ended up buying 2x the gas-over a whole tank's worth instead of 1/2 tank) they said that you're not supposed to leave the pump running unattended, that it's the law and that there are stickers. Lesson learned.
I've been to more than 1 gas station where the nozzle didn't auto-stop as it's supposed to. I've had gas come spurting out onto me while pumping. I've also had the ones that have the little stopper thing to hold the pump in the squeezed position keep going, overflowing my tank. Every time that's happened, I was right there so I didn't get over-charged and I didn't get gas everywhere.

The one time I complained to the gas station, the handle was leaking where it attached to the hose. Not safe.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM

400 posts, read 850,108 times
Those auto stops don't even work for me about 10-15% of the time. The tank will be down to an 1/8 and then it shuts off after putting a half a gallon of gas. I turn it back on and then another half gallon...repeat until I guess about full. Ugh. I'd say it was my car but it happens to both my cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont