Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

I was in Winooski getting gas the other day and I started into the store to get a soda when the attendant told me that the local fire chief had been around lately passing out $1500 fines for people who leave their cars with the pump running.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've been leaving my car with the pump running for as long as I've been able to use self-service gas stations, probably thirty years or more, and I've never seen or heard of it before. I can imagine a theoretical justification, but it's really unheard of in my experience.

Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Seen warning stickers on pumps that say it is illegal in various states. Does suck if enforced the state is stealing your time. Never seen a price for the fine. VT has a high percentage of pumps with working locks, most places in the Northeast you need to jam the fuel cap in the handle. Which the signs say is also illegal. Although I've been doing that for over 20 years without an issue. Sounds like some local revenue generation to me. Just be happy you are still allowed to pump your own gas VT was talking about going down the road of NJ and OR.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Just be happy you are still allowed to pump your own gas VT was talking about going down the road of NJ and OR.
Guess that's what they'll call 'back to work' programs in VT...

Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Guess that's what they'll call 'back to work' programs in VT...
That was actually the claimed justification for VT. I think NJ uses 'safety.' It is a pain to wait on the attendants, but in NJ defense they have a low state tax on gasoline so the price is better than the rest of the Northeast despite the extra labor.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
That was actually the claimed justification for VT.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM

231 posts, read 869,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I was in Winooski getting gas the other day and I started into the store to get a soda when the attendant told me that the local fire chief had been around lately passing out $1500 fines for people who leave their cars with the pump running.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've been leaving my car with the pump running for as long as I've been able to use self-service gas stations, probably thirty years or more, and I've never seen or heard of it before. I can imagine a theoretical justification, but it's really unheard of in my experience.

Anybody else?
So...you start to pump your gas? Go into the store while pumping gas? While your car is running? Read the signs on the pumps....BY ORDER OF THE FIRE MARSHALL. Which means you were breaking the law by leaving the vehicle unattended and running. Just shut off you car. You putting not only yourself in harms way, but any innocent bystanders.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnFire View Post
So...you start to pump your gas? Go into the store while pumping gas? While your car is running? Read the signs on the pumps....BY ORDER OF THE FIRE MARSHALL. Which means you were breaking the law by leaving the vehicle unattended and running. Just shut off you car. You putting not only yourself in harms way, but any innocent bystanders.
No, the pump was running not the car. It will shut off when the tank is full. But I would never leave it because one time when I turned my head for a minute it started to overflow. The thing that is suppose to release when the tank is full got stuck.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnFire View Post
Which means you were breaking the law by leaving the vehicle unattended and running.
I have this vague memory from when I was a child in the 1970s. I thought I remembered a TV commercial, like a PSA, which warned about having the car running while pumping gas. The image in my mind is that someone starts the car while the pump is running and the car explodes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone or did I imagine it? And is that outcome even possible, or was it possible with '70s cars?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM

The auto-stop function works fine millions and millions of times each day. They want to have a CYA rule sure OK. Start nailing people for $1,500 bucks and it isn't about safety.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I have this vague memory from when I was a child in the 1970s. I thought I remembered a TV commercial, like a PSA, which warned about having the car running while pumping gas. The image in my mind is that someone starts the car while the pump is running and the car explodes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone or did I imagine it? And is that outcome even possible, or was it possible with '70s cars?
The running engine thing is I think is more of a bumped into gear problem(70's children running around in the car w/out belts), or a drive off with the pump nozzle still in the tank problem. I can't see a running car setting anything on fire even a poorly maintained car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont