Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times

Advertisements

Last night I got my first traffic ticket in Vermont, in Brattleboro. I inadvertently failed to stop at a stop sign. The cop was courteous. But he gave me a ticket and told me the fine was $214.

He told me that iff it is not paid within 20 days, my license will be suspended.

And that if I contest it, then the fine can go up.

Yes, I did go through the stop sign. And yes, there is no question that stop signs are important for public safety. Serious, even fatal accidents can occur if a stop sign is gone through.

But a fine of $214? Isn't that excessive? People here have a high cost of living and low paying jobs. Many are out of work altogether.

Fortunately, I have the money to pay the fine. I don't like the loss involved, especially since I had an emergency car repair bill that day for over $300 (my starter died), but there is no financial hardship that could jeopardize my housing, health insurance or heat.

But what if I didn't have the money?

I wrote an opinion piece for iBrattleboro. No need to rewrite everything here, so here is the link:

iBrattleboro.com - Got Traffic Ticket Today

The last comment there, at the time that I'm writing this City-Data entry, misses the point of the article. The point is not my "whining". The point is that the fine is both excessive and regressive. The less money a person has, the more of a hardship the fine imposes.

I'm all for deterrence. But although a big fine can deter someone from deliberately ignoring a traffic law, it can't deter a person from making an honest mistake, even if he or she makes the effort to be more careful.

I'm curious about traffic fines elsewhere in Vermont, and about people's feelings about them.

Last edited by arel; 02-03-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
I can see both sides of this……………Speeding tickets routinely cost $200-300 in most states when you get clipped for 76mph in a 65mph zone etc. and in all reality you aren’t putting anyone’s life in danger statistically speaking by doing 76mph vs. 65mph……..it isn’t like you are out of control. So if that fine is easily $150-300 for highway speeding with little risk, it almost makes the stop sign running a bargain given the higher probability of causing a collision and or injury with the stop sign infraction.

That being said, $214 does bite the big one, but actions have consequences. I’ll bet you won’t roll another stop sign for a long time though…..so it served it’s purpose.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Yes, the amount sounds excessive. I don't understand why it would go up if contested. What happened to 'free to be, you and me?' And, your point being what if 'unemployed so and so' or barely getting by person has a huge fine like that?

Guess they don't eat that week (!) or start taking the bus.

Arel, I assume you have VT plates & license? The police are ALWAYS stopping out of state plates here..

I've been told by countless people Vermont cops are 'vigilant.' My husband works second shift and has been stopped several times 'because' by both VT and NH cops. I believe they were just looking for DWIs & people crossing state lines not wearing their belts.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Fine shouldn't go up if you challenge it in court. That was the cop on a power trip.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Revenue- think of it as a random tax. Some of the Scandinavian countries have progressive traffic fines. Fines are based on a percentage of wealth there have been a few cases of 5 or 6 digit traffic fines for the very wealthy. Progressive or flat revenue generation through motor vehicle actions is a crock. If everyone obeyed the traffic laws states would go bankrupt.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
PS a lot of VTers don't have DL from various infractions often DUI. Being small town VT the police often know who has a license and who doesn't and give a wink to folks driving to work and such without a DL. No way to live even with a free pass.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times
I'm going to speak to the town about this.

I can see the need to enforce traffic laws, which we all need to stay safe on the roads.

But this fine really seems excessive. And I am concerned about its regressiveness. It can seriously harm people with little money, but not at all affect people with a lot of money.

But thanks for letting me know the range of fines for speeding. Missing a stop sign is potentially more dangerous for the public than going a little bit over the speed limit.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM

I doubt they'll care. It's a source of revenue many towns and cities like to use...not that they speak openly about that fact...

Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM

159 posts, read 405,154 times
The fine won't go up if you go to court but you will pay court cost of $25 or so if you go to court and lose. If you have the time plead innocent and wait for them to issue you a court summons and then go to court, chances are they will reduce the fine as they don't want someone taking up their time in court. Many states and towns are using traffic fines as a way to generate needed money, of course it then goes on your record and gives the insurance company an excuse to raise your rates so the ticket can actually cost you much more than just the fine. Plead not guilty and ask for a jury trial.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
The fine won't go up if you go to court but you will pay court cost of $25 or so if you go to court and lose. If you have the time plead innocent and wait for them to issue you a court summons and then go to court, chances are they will reduce the fine as they don't want someone taking up their time in court. Many states and towns are using traffic fines as a way to generate needed money, of course it then goes on your record and gives the insurance company an excuse to raise your rates so the ticket can actually cost you much more than just the fine. Plead not guilty and ask for a jury trial.
Yep. When you make it less profitable (demanding trial), they tend to get less interested...

And watch this video Arel (and anyone else):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont