Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

I think the OP should look into NH and ME too...

Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

30 posts, read 72,009 times
What other states have inexpensive health insurance? I am aware that VT and MA seem to offer the most coverage for the least cost. Married earning less than $40,000, only $177 month based on tables from Green Mountain Care. I would like to retire, but I have no health insurance, my property tax bill in NYS is $600 per month.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM

If you had less other expenses (taxes) you could buy insurance...there's no free ride. If a state provides low cost healthcare, it's paid for with taxes.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,498 times
Understand VT is broke and while NY is broke as well, NY actually has young people that are still working and jobs and stuff being built and created. All of the gold plated cheap stuff in VT has to end. VT has subsidized senior housing and residency isn't an issue just have to be old enough. Sell your house in NY and go rent senior housing in VT, when the state busts go somewhere else.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
MA has higher taxes than VT. If you search news archives you'll find things in MA like group doctor visits because of the financial problems with their healthcare. So I don't think their healthcare is better than VT either.
I wouldn’t say that is necessarily true……………If I claimed residency in VT, my income taxes would jump 60% and as it is my property taxes in VT are exactly twice what I pay in MA for a home worth 25% less.

Vermont is a very expensive state for many reasons.

Last edited by Logs and Dogs; 02-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: because

Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I wouldn’t say that is necessarily true……………If I claimed residency in VT, my income taxes would jump 60% and as it is my property taxes in VT are exactly twice what I pay in MA for a home worth 25% less.

Vermont is a very expensive state for many reasons.
Maybe, but if you're a non-resident in Vermont you get taxed more on property.

NH has high property taxes but few other taxes, and Maine has more affordable real estate than VT or NH outside of the Portland area, hence why I suggested the OP look into those states too.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:51 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Maybe, but if you're a non-resident in Vermont you get taxed more on property.

NH has high property taxes but few other taxes, and Maine has more affordable real estate than VT or NH outside of the Portland area, hence why I suggested the OP look into those states too.
Agreed. My property taxes in VT would still be much higher, resident or non-resident, plus the property tax thing in VT is all about what town or village you are in.

Frankly, I would look to northern NH, above the BS line or Maine. But frankly Vermonters tend to think they have the unwelcome wagon cornered for “flatlanders” but folks in northern Maine make Vermonters look like Santa.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM

30 posts, read 72,009 times
I am too young,50 for senior housing, and I need a state that offers inexpensive health insurance for lowt axable income persons. I thought we would have a national healthcare system this year, but it does not look like it will pass. I guess everyone has to lookout for themselves and find the best places to get coverage in the country. For the price of my home in NY, I will get a home in VT and one in FL, with VT being my principle residence and not too far from NY.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,691 times
As mentioned in another post the state of Vermont has the highest percentage of older people in the country. One in four are above the age of 55 and Vermont is much higher in regards to people over 75 than the national average. Compared to national statistics, Vermont is expected to witness more significant decreases in three population groups: those under 25, those aged 35-44 and 45-54. In addition, the Vermont population will age more rapidly than the country as a whole. The above data is from the Center on Aging and Work. This has been well known for several years, but WCAX had a big story on this a few weeks ago. This is significant because the state is having big financial troubles. With a larger number of people out of the work force due to age and more money needed to state functioning, the money needs to come from somewhere. Without question, everyone including those that are retired will have to pay. My property taxes have increased almost $3000 in the past 7 yrs. Double what I started off with. The state is in worse shape than say NY or NJ. Young people still live and desire to live in those states. They may have high taxes, but they also have a base to collect the money to keep the train rolling.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,035,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acentre View Post
What other states have inexpensive health insurance? I am aware that VT and MA seem to offer the most coverage for the least cost. Married earning less than $40,000, only $177 month based on tables from Green Mountain Care. I would like to retire, but I have no health insurance, my property tax bill in NYS is $600 per month.
Who do you think pays for that health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont