Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM

986 posts, read 2,339,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Our railroads used to be much more extensive. It was possible in much of this state and many others to take a train to areas all over the state and other states, and not just the large cities. The railroad infrastructure was gutted in the 20th century particularly after WWII.

I'm not the city type and don't like crowds anywhere. I don't particularly enjoy driving and dealing with traffic is something I hate.
You actually used to be able to take streetcars from NYC to Boston (obviously transferring a lot). Then GM bought them up to sell buses.

I'm with you for the most part. The main reason I want to move to VT is to get away from the crowds. I'd rather drive an hour to work up there because of the distance and country roads than an hour to work down here because I'm sitting in traffic or dealing with all the jerks. I am a city type, but I do enjoy driving to a certain degree. However, I also really enjoy taking the train. I'm also a country type. I'm not a fan of suburban style development and sprawl. My ideal location would be far enough outside a town/village center that I can have some land, but close enough to be able to walk or bike there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 8,303 times
In case anyone still looks at this thread, let me say that I know of only two ways to reach Bennington by public transit:

1. Take the bus (Trailways/Greyhound) to Williamstown, where it stops at the Williams Inn. Make connections there with the infrequent Green Mountain Express mini-bus that goes back up route 7 into downtown Bennington. Make sure you check the schedule for the Green Mountain Express--it's a local service actually run by the Red Cross of Bennington. If you have a long wait at the Williams Inn, it's at least walking distance to a few restaurants and coffee shops, and the Innn itself has a bar/restaurant.

2. Take plane/bus/train to Albany, and, if necessary, a taxi to downtown Albany's bus station. Just outside the station you can pick up the only remaining privately scheduled bus service to Bennington--the Yankee Trails commuter which runs along NY route 7 East, through several small NY towns, and across the VT border into Bennington. Again, make sure to check the schedule for the Yankee Trails bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont