Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 26,940 times

Advertisements

I live in Boston, MA, and I was wondering what the easiest way would be for me to reach Bennington, VT.
I don't own a car or have a driver's license, so my best options are buses, trains or flights.

I would really appreciate any info!!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,142,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss87 View Post
I live in Boston, MA, and I was wondering what the easiest way would be for me to reach Bennington, VT.
I don't own a car or have a driver's license, so my best options are buses, trains or flights.

I think it's going to involve Greyhound. There's no commercial airport in Bennington.

You can take the bus from Boston to Bennington. You can fly Boston to Albany and take the bus to Bennington. Or you can fly Cape Air from Boston to Rutland, VT, and take the bus from Rutland to Bennington.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 03-07-2010 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 AM

723 posts, read 635,405 times
I'm from Albany, NY. My family is from/in Vermont and I also do not own a car. As far as I know, Bennington is not served by bus lines at all. You MAY be able to find a regional provider, but it's not easy/impossible. There is no rail, no airport and no bus station. You pretty much have to drive. Every time I go home, I have to rent a car. It's quite pathetic. Welcome to Vermont...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
You pretty much have to drive. Every time I go home, I have to rent a car. It's quite pathetic. Welcome to Vermont...

I agree, and it extends infinitely beyond Vermont. In the past few years as I've strived to drive/fly less and use more buses and trains, I've found it nearly impossible ANYWHERE in the US except within and around major metropolitan areas. It is pathetic.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

894 posts, read 1,563,673 times
I love the autonomy and freedom of personal vehicles, general aviation aircraft, boats, cars, motorcycles all are awesome.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
As far as I know, Bennington is not served by bus lines at all.

You're right! In Vermont, Greyhound serves only:

Found this in the Bennington Area Guide:

Green Mountain Express
215 Pleasant Street
Bennington, VT 05201
802-442-9458
Shopping Express, Fixed Route, Handicapped
& Medicaid Transportation Services.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM

18,360 posts, read 26,558,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I love the autonomy and freedom of personal vehicles, general aviation aircraft, boats, cars, motorcycles all are awesome.
I do too, but, I also hate driving on crowded highways and our country would cut back on the use of oil if we had a better rail infrastructure, etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM

723 posts, read 635,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I do too, but, I also hate driving on crowded highways and our country would cut back on the use of oil if we had a better rail infrastructure, etc.
Not to mention that automobile infrastructure is the most expensive to build and maintain and one of the greatest causes of climate change. I find that I actually have more freedom not owning a car, but then again I live in a dense city neighborhood, much much different than most of Vermont. I do have a lot more money to dispose of by now owning a car though!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM

894 posts, read 1,563,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We have a great rail infrastructure. Great for moving farm products from where it is financially viable to produce them to the East where all the people who want to eat live. It is perfect.
As for not liking crowded highways that sounds a lot like 'I wish more people, other than myself, used public transit.' Don't drive on crowded highways. Move to the city if you can stand the smell of urine or suburbs if urine stink is too much for you. Nice convenient suburbs with a Target and Walmart in every pot.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM

18,360 posts, read 26,558,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
We have a great rail infrastructure. Great for moving farm products from where it is financially viable to produce them to the East where all the people who want to eat live. It is perfect.
As for not liking crowded highways that sounds a lot like 'I wish more people, other than myself, used public transit.' Don't drive on crowded highways. Move to the city if you can stand the smell of urine or suburbs if urine stink is too much for you. Nice convenient suburbs with a Target and Walmart in every pot.
Our railroads used to be much more extensive. It was possible in much of this state and many others to take a train to areas all over the state and other states, and not just the large cities. The railroad infrastructure was gutted in the 20th century particularly after WWII.

I'm not the city type and don't like crowds anywhere. I don't particularly enjoy driving and dealing with traffic is something I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont