Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
I

Gypsy, when/where are you headed out? I'm back to VA in August.
Not sure yet...this is the debate going on at the moment. We really can't move until one of us gets a job. I was thinking back south a bit but the cost of living is also just ridiculous so maybe somewhere totally different.

My husband had a call from someone in a Gulf state and the idea IS intriguing..no more snow (but damn hot ) but affordable. We could have a house in a year or so if we both worked 'bare minimal' jobs.

Sadly, the days of the North east are over, dead, buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
According to Sheryl's link, Vermont scores are above the national average.
Again, if you are a motivated student you will do well. If you are not, you won't. Doesn't matter where you live.
I agree with this, but truly feel that many students are struggling because of society and what family life has become. I know this is a broad statement, but without parents home to supervise, make well balanced meals, and to keep kids from sitting in front of the television, they aren't self disciplined enough to do the work. (only part of the problem, but one i think contributes to poor acheivement in school)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Good points above...

What is to 'lowest common denominator' ? Does this refer to 'special ed.' students or those who can't speak English?

I am against standardized testing because I don't think it can truly measure how well children understand the material or show the success of a teacher.
This is so true!!!! My son was recently re-evaluated and found to be ineligible for an IEP despite his very weak written language skills. His general IQ is 118 so he is bright...his standardized NECAPs place him in "barely" achieving range! Nice, huh? I am worried sick about him starting highschool next year and falling behind! I'm thinking about getting him a second independent evaluation, because I think he needs more support than he will be offered. He does have a learning disability but one that their evaluation shows is not effecting his progress anymore. Ummm...right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
My daughters school used to give student of the month awards that went to the same one or two low self esteem students each month. Last spring they had a school wide assembly where they declared everyone a student of the month except one 3rd grade boy who apparently didn't deserve it.
Our school used to do these as well..thank god they did away with those Student of the Month awards because I believe EVERY child should be recognized for who they are and where they are at. All my children received this while the program was in place....except...except...wait...get this....my special needs daughter!! She attended the school from grade 2 - 6 while this program was in place and NEVER once was chosen as Student of the Month. I would cringe when her sibings would come home with the award because I felt bad for her that she wasn't measuring up and socially never would....kind of impossible when you are born with Aspergers and your teachers think your a total PITA and a misfit! And...that little boy who "didn't" deserve the award when all his peers got it.....he already has a bad rap in life....probably a disability or mental health issue, problems at home, abused and the school served to reinforce that everyone DOESN'T care!! That was a TERRIBLE thing for a school to do to one child...regardless of what behavior he displays..he is only a child! I better stop now....because I've strayed far from the topic of academic achievement and more now on how we treat and serve our disadvantaged youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont