Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
It's not the case with all army games (Call of Duty 4 has you primarily killing Slavs with only a few Arabs thrown in to spice it up a little ) but the reason it is the case with so many is that many of these games are based on real scenarios and wars and, unfortunately, many of the 'baddies' (at least from our perspective) in the real life conflicts are Islamic terrorists.
And in BF2 you can kill all the Chinese you want -- you can even modify the original so you're fighting Chinese for oil resources in the Middle East, if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by Dd714
Quote:
I can see it now - political correctness will hit the video game industry! All future games will include as enemies a white guy (has to be white so as not to offend people of color) in a generic black suit (can't be any ethnic clothes so not to offend anyone) from the nation of Anywherstan. No forget the 'stan', may offend some people of slavic decent. Anywheresville.

How I hate the political correctness nuts. Dude it's just a game. How I'm glad aliens don't have a political action committe yet, then bye bye Doom, Area 51, and the other Alien Killer games.
LoL, what many Americans don't understand is that I do not put a face on violence. Christians call me anti-Christian or even a blasphemer simply because I have a different opinion and right-wing(?) Americans accuse me of bashing their beloved America.
The thing is that I use facts and not just mere opinion and that I prefer rational thought over 'irrational' emotion or ideology.

Like I said before, violence has a high entertainment value but people should be aware that it could easily be used to create propaganda and I consider propaganda a greater threat than violence (or guns) itself. Compared to propaganda guns only do a 'limited' damage while propaganda can turn a whole nation into irrational zealots.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
And in BF2 you can kill all the Chinese you want -- you can even modify the original so you're fighting Chinese for oil resources in the Middle East, if you like.
Have you played the various Grand Theft Auto games? If not please do and then come back and comment.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
Have you played the various Grand Theft Auto games? If not please do and then come back and comment.
No, I have not. Why need I play them? I've read various descriptions of them, I've watched their reviews along with video of the game -- do I really need to play them in order to formulate a basic opinion of them?

BTW, what's your opinion of BF2?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
I think we should dedicate this thread to discussing Grand Theft Auto in general per its title. If you want to discuss another game, please feel free to create your own thread on it.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,969 times
Quote:

BTW, what's your opinion of BF2?
I love it.

Quote:
No, I have not. Why need I play them? I've read various descriptions of them, I've watched their reviews along with video of the game -- do I really need to play them in order to formulate a basic opinion of them?
Trust me, you need to try it out. The whole point is that you have a huge living world at your fingertips.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Could somebody please explain the appeal of these games? Is the U.S. becoming a nation of wannabe car-jackers?
I'm enjoying the "sandbox" type games more and more, and this sentiment can also extend to Saint's Row. For me, it's also the storyline that's appealing. When you have both of these factors, you can't go wrong.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
Quote:
Could somebody please explain the appeal of these games? Is the U.S. becoming a nation of wannabe car-jackers?
I love the GTA series. I haven't stolen any cars in real life yet The games have alot of appeal...

1.) The freedom to move around and explore the city is a big selling point. There's lots of side missions and things to do...in GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas....you could, pick up people in taxis, put out fires in a fire engine. Lots of stuff.

2.) The radio is brilliant. I've loved all the stations...alot of people pick up new songs they wouldnt otherwise hear. Look at youtube clips of a horse with no name, or some 80's songs, and everyone is like..."I heard this in GTA!". And the song is 20 years old! I've picked up alot of songs I havent otherwise heard.

3.) Lots of variety with terrain. In San Andreas you had the desert, an airport, you could fly a lear jet. You had forests. You had inner city Compton. In Vice City, there was Miami and San Francisco.

4.) Great humor! The radio bits in the first games were hilarious. Lazlo was brilliant.

5.) The realism. Its gotten better in every game. Its a one of a kind series...thats why its setting sales records.

I dont know if the "violence" is necessarily a selling point. Tons of games are violent...Mortal Kombat, Doom, WWII based games, etc. The story lines are really well done. They aren't cheesy.

Its a brilliant series thats gotten better. And Rockstar does a great job marketing and hyping it up.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 AM

7,913 posts, read 933,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
yeah i agree. once you have played them u will think much differently about them there awesome lol

Old 08-23-2008, 07:07 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,144 times
Even I love GTA 4 and I usually don't like those games.

A few weeks ago I was at a BD's Mongolian BBQ and the boys working around the big grill area were being silly and said "Hey Nico...it's your cousin Roman....let's got to BD's and get some stir-fry" they deserved a tip for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games