Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Even I love GTA 4 and I usually don't like those games.

A few weeks ago I was at a BD's Mongolian BBQ and the boys working around the big grill area were being silly and said "Hey Nico...it's your cousin Roman....let's got to BD's and get some stir-fry" they deserved a tip for that.
Nico's cool, I like the tie in to the Yogoslavian war, what a complex character.

I like the randomness of the game and the ability for it to go in directions not intended by the maker but remain realistic. For instance I was starting the mini-game of having Nico date Kate. Had a good date and we got back in the car and I pressed the wrong button which caused him to accidently fire his gun and shoot out the window. Kate was pissed off. She left the car and called a cab home, and kept on refusing my dates until much later. Next time I had a date with her and wore these gangsterish white platform shoes and she starts saying "what's with the shoes".

I like how you can pick-up a hooker and, umm, choose your type of service. SOme of the dialog during that is hilarous (but of course strictly for adults).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 AM

29 posts, read 109,097 times
I must say I am a big fan of the GTA series. My favorite one might have been Vice City. Tommy Vercetti with the voice of Ray Liotta gave it a very "goodfellas" feel for me. I also enjoyed that it was set in the 80s and you could listen to the scarface soundtrack!

I also enjoy GTA-4 because of its freedom. You have friends in this game who get mad when you blow them off. You can go out and get drunk and stumble out to your car while the friend you took with you is telling you they love you haha. You can go online and try and meet women. There's just so much to do that hours can go by without you even noticing. Sometimes we need that escape from reality. An escape is an escape I see no difference between the GTA series and other video games people love, we love them all for the same reasons.

I can understand not letting children play these games because there is definitley some things you wouldn't want a child to see or hear. Not because you are worried about them doing it or acting like that, simply because it is inappropriate for a child to hear or see such things. As long as you raise your kid right and teach them right from wrong, I don't really see how a game could influence your kid. I'm only 24 years old so I started playing these games when I was a teenager, and my mother never had to worry about me acting these games out because she knew I knew right from wrong, and I understood it was a game.

oh and what was Nico's friend's name who was all roided up, i forgot? He was hilarious, def my favorite side character

Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 AM

113 posts, read 278,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Could somebody please explain the appeal of these games? Is the U.S. becoming a nation of wannabe car-jackers?
The GTA series was actually produced by a small company originally based in Dundee, so it was not necessarily aimed at the US in particular. Video games are for fun and I also love being the bad guy.
I'm good in real life so it's fun to be the bad guy without any real consequences.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jday View Post
oh and what was Nico's friend's name who was all roided up, i forgot? He was hilarious, def my favorite side character
You mean Brucie?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,497,048 times
violent games reliefs stress, study finds.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM

71 posts, read 208,419 times
I'm finally getting really going on GTA4. I don't care what kind of ramifications you want to say the series has on our society. No game series has ever come close to creating such a compelling modern crime drama. The sense of humor is also fantastic, as many have noted. I love the commercials when I'm driving around, they're hysterical.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,986 times
I'm still playing VC stories on PSP until I can afford the PS3. I can't wait to try GTAIV!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 AM

93 posts, read 204,915 times
I haven't played GTA, and I generally prefer games that involve problem solving/puzzles and if problem solving is put into roleplay of a sort, it can consume a lot of time in setting up the character, the scenarios and a sort of story line. I own many types of puzzle games and among them, I have all The Sims 2 (and older The Sims) games, which might seem to put me into an instant user profile that is "not serious about games", but that would be wrong. GTA is related to this flexible sort of playing. From what I understand is a very choice oriented, user directed type of game. You can decide what your character will do and how far you want to go to experience a certain realm - you will need skills and knowledge of how the game plays out to achieve certain goals. That's a lot like the Sims games as you can choose to create an abusive Sim that never works a day in its life, marries for money, murders all its spouses, creates populations of children that social workers take away -- and creates traps and relationships that keep the sim in a platinum profile. (you don't need hacks to play the game that way either, you can make the game as vanilla and "girl meets boy" as you like).

I do eventually hope to get into GTA because that sort of game play appeals to me. It is puzzle solving and seeing new potential develop, new twists to the story line. I also look forward to Spore, another open ended type of game where you do not have to play a script to 'beat the game'.

My oldest games still on my main computer (which is a homebuilt AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core) include the ancient DOS text version of "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" - which really is a pretty much scripted out game where you have to solve all puzzles and gather objects in order to complete the game. Open ended games of today are increasingly very appealing although regular upgrades to hardware are essential. They seem to remain in favor with whomever has them til they run out of time to play any more, get a cooler game, or just get bored with the particular game. There are only so many times you can play "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but those old games are still wonderful classics. We've come a long way from the old XT with no hard drive and two 5.25 inch floppies.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
I have a question about GTA, not directly related to the game. I'm a collector of maps. Is there someplace that sells copies of the Liberty City subway map?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM

93 posts, read 204,915 times
I thought your post was a curiosity, - but as a map collector, you could be looking for anything mapwise. Apparently this is a bit of a dea,l for a certain famous map got people lost while using it. Article from NYT (May 1, 2008) "Such Hubbub Over a Subway Map. Decades Later, Revisions.":
Men’s Vogue is selling 500 limited edition prints of the map for $299 (including shipping and handling), with profits going to Green Worker Cooperatives, a group working on building an alternative green economy in the South Bronx
Interesting!

I'm a big fan of Google Earth, and at a glance, there are some touristy kml files that hover over the area but I'm not sure if there is one with a digital map inset into it somewhere. I'm sure you want a paper map.

There's transit map here, which can be printed from PDF. Other maps, historical stuff here and touristy just about anything made with a map printed on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games