Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Console is Best for Travellers?
Sony PSP 14 63.64%
Nintendo DS 6 27.27%
Other - Please State and Explain 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be travelling around the world soon. For the most part, the travel is going to provide it's own entertainment.

However, at times we are sure to be stuck for days at border stations, on boats, and we may also have trouble finding internet cafes in areas where there is no shortage of wi-fi but everyone is expected to have their own laptop (like some places here in the US).

I have some credit with electronics retailers that I have no real use for otherwise--since we're pitching out nearly ALL of our possessions and have no need for any more junk. I was thinking of using it to purchase a Nintendo DS or a PSP for travel.

I fully expect either console to break or be stolen eventually, and it will not travel with us to all regions. However, for the time that it lasts, which console do you think is best for travellers?

I'm leaning toward the PSP because it can play mini-disc movies and the DS's clamshell design and stylus seem to be asking to be broken/lost. However, it seems like the touchscreen would be better for web browsing.

Please vote for which console you think is best and educate me on the travel-friendly features of each console. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
My wife and I will be travelling around the world soon. For the most part, the travel is going to provide it's own entertainment.

However, at times we are sure to be stuck for days at border stations, on boats, and we may also have trouble finding internet cafes in areas where there is no shortage of wi-fi but everyone is expected to have their own laptop (like some places here in the US).

I have some credit with electronics retailers that I have no real use for otherwise--since we're pitching out nearly ALL of our possessions and have no need for any more junk. I was thinking of using it to purchase a Nintendo DS or a PSP for travel.

I fully expect either console to break or be stolen eventually, and it will not travel with us to all regions. However, for the time that it lasts, which console do you think is best for travellers?

I'm leaning toward the PSP because it can play mini-disc movies and the DS's clamshell design and stylus seem to be asking to be broken/lost. However, it seems like the touchscreen would be better for web browsing.

Please vote for which console you think is best and educate me on the travel-friendly features of each console. Thanks!
If you are looking for a travel 'console', then a better alternative would be an Ipod Touch. It can surf the net, store music and movies on a wider screen.It functions with WIFI, allowing you to check weather, the exchange rates, etc. Games are also available for the Touch.

You can use the following program to back up movies to either the PSP or the Ipod:

DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod

As an adult, the Nintendo DS would be soley usable for games.

The PSP is helpful for gaming and watching movies.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the info. The Ipod touch seems pretty nice, but it's about $100 more than the other consoles and I'd have to pay actual money instead of just store credit. I'll certainly keep it in mind. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I would definitely go with the PSP for travel purposes. Both systems have great games, great interaction... but the PSP tops my list because you can use it to access the internet without any additional software.

The DS requires an insert (that you have to purchase separately) so that you can use the internet.

Oh, and I moved this to the Video Game Board. You're more likely to get answers here.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the move. Can I use the PSP to access the internet from any open wi-fi location? What about pay locations? Can I somehow key in payment details (like CC#'s) for pay-to-access points like at&t? Can I also key in WEP passwords and such?

Anybody know?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for the move. Can I use the PSP to access the internet from any open wi-fi location? What about pay locations? Can I somehow key in payment details (like CC#'s) for pay-to-access points like at&t? Can I also key in WEP passwords and such?

Anybody know?
Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes. I've been able to do all of those with my PSP.

The only downside that the PSP has under the DS (in my opinion) is battery life. But if you've got a car charger (or wall charger) then it really won't matter.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,452 times
This is a tough question to answer
Ive used both.

For strictly "pick up and go-portability", the DS wins, as the games that are designed on it are designed exclusively for road travel. PSP games, on the other hand, are more of the sit-down type.

Overall, I prefer PSP because of the sheer amount of powers and options packed into it, plus the games are better because of bigger and better graphics and size, IMO. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, btw. The negative is the battery life.

Yet, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2 and a charger will go a longgggg way.

If you do get a PSP, buy a 2 GB SanDisk memory stick for music, photo, and saved game data. Putting videos on it are a bit tricky, but easier than doing so on the iPod Video.

If you do go for it, get..

Games

SOCOM
Ace Combat X
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Crisis Core (IF youve finished Final Fantasy 7...)
Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground

Movies
The Pink Panther
Kingdom of Heaven
The Last Samurai

Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM

GameHog9 brings up the other positives of the PSP over the DS - the ability to play music and watch movies. These two things are also great when you're not the one driving. Absolutely wonderful with a charger.

Definitely get the PSP.

As for the Pick-up-and-go aspect, you can easily use the power switch (quick flip vice holding it) to put the PSP into "Sleep Mode" and put the power switch into the hold position. With the DS, you only need to close it, but both have this feature.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:11 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,452 times
^ You know hes right.

You can turn it off during playback and it will stay at were it was.

Like I said, ive tried both, and have explored all the features of the DS.

Pictochatc or whatever its called is cool, but its pretty limited.
I hate the DS games. The only ones worth looking at are Mario, Zelda, and Metroid., and even then the graphics were like some cross between N64and Gamecube. Other than that, I found absolutely nothing interesting on it. Add that to zero music and video options, and I was a tad bit skeptical.

Then I tried the PSP (1000-series) and fell in love. The newest games that are out (God...of..War...) look absolutely gorgeous graphic wise. Very near to a PS2. Ive been thinking of upgrading to a 2000, but I wont be able to use most of the features anyway, so i would just basically be getting a few tidbits.

Anyways, Ive used internet on the PSP, and the format is different. You cant watch YouTube, but you can visit websites, post comments, check email... basically everything except watching and downloading videos. Or maybe I just dont know how to do it. :P The connection requires either some kind of modem (cant help you there) or a wi-fi hotspot, like Starbucks (can help you there). The PSPs come with a free T-Mobile account thats easy to set up. (for now, at least, yet Ive had mine for months and its still free. ???). Just select the web browser, and it will ask you to choose/create a connection. If you have a game thats capable of online play (they call it infrastructure), you can do so in the game menu. Very, VERY fun on Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron, but Ive been dying to try it out on SOCOM, since it offers so many customization options. You can also play off-line with another PSP wirelessly (ad hoc)

Last edited by GameHog9; 07-17-2008 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
i voted for psp because the darn thing can just do SO much. You get tired of games you can watch movies on it too. I used to watch a ton of anime on mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games