Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Console is Best for Travellers?
Sony PSP 14 63.64%
Nintendo DS 6 27.27%
Other - Please State and Explain 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post

In this thread it didnt say specifically for video games it asked what best for travel in which it means that something to kill time or boredom (hence the other button as a choice) . The psp is mainly a video game system but you have the iPod touch which is mainly media and it plays games almost just as good as the psp with major companies developing apps like EA and more. Games like super monkey ball that rolls with the accelerometer.
well, since this IS the video game forum, and the OP did ask about two video game systems, isn't safe to assume the OP wanted a device that could specifically play *gasp, wait for it* VIDEO GAMES?! if the OP just wanted a PMP, then this thread would be in technology, not in the video game forum

Quote:
Overall the psp and ds are dead. I stop playing them and my friends stop playing them and there friends and so on and people i just met stop playing them.
LOL, you're a funny fanboi! Apple has made major strides in the MP3 player and cell phone business, but it will NEVER touch Sony and Nintendo when it comes to portable video game systems. MS is the only one that could come close, should they come out w/ a portable system, but it seems like even they are holding back (I haven't heard anything about them coming out w/ a portable system or making Xbox games fully available on the Zune, but then again, I don't pay much attention to Xbox and Zune news).

maybe your circle of friends don't play them, but the market for the PSP and the DS are FAR from dead. GTA may be coming to the DS, Guitar Hero On Tour is out, more and more games are being produced for these systems (and thankfully, Nintendo is embracing a more adult audience w/ more mature games). these systems can better handle these complicated games that no Apple product can (I shudder to imagine how to play certain games w/ a touch screen or how much space one of these games would take up on an iPod Touch). Apple, until it makes some DRASTIC changes to their products, like having a slot where memory cards or games can be switched in and out, will never catch up to the DS or PSP b/c it lacks flexibility. there's only so many games you can load onto a 16gb Touch, and on a long trip, you may get bored w/ what you have. Me, I can carry quite a few DS and GBA games, and can switch them out as needed. plus, the gaming selection for the DS and PSP is far more diverse than the games for the iPods (again, this is due to the platform. having a touch screen really limits the type of games that can be played, or at the very least, the enjoyment in playing those games. the margin for error using a touch screen is greater than using regular buttons, and an intense gamer won't be thrilled about that).

again, for the OP, a DS, or rather, a PSP in this case, is the best deal, since it allows more flexibility, and MOST importantly, the OP isn't tied to a laptop or forced to scour for free wi-fi, or ANY wi-fi spots (in case you didn't read the OP's post, s/he is traveling around the world. there may not be wi-fi everywhere they go, and they may have trouble accessing the iTunes store overseas since every country has their own version. you suggesting the OP gets accounts for multiple versions of iTunes so if they want to download more apps and games they can? that's ludicrous)

the point of this thread isn't to go into a whole Apple vs Everyone Else debate. the OP has specific requirements and desires and the iPod Touch doesn't fit their needs (again, read the original post) so no amount of Apple hyping and DS/PSP bashing is going to help and is irrelevant here

Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
1 having a program to have and put stuff on does not make any sense because when you buy something on itunes it stores on the computer, it is also to keep your media organized and easy to put your media on your device instead of having to go through steps just plug it in and everything is on.
It's a good thing that it's that easy to put stuff on the PSP then, eh? Unless you want to put a movie on it, but even then it's an easy conversion process that's painless to do.

Quote:
And a sony 8gb memory stick is $100
Try anywhere between 50 and 100 depending on which brand you get.

Quote:
Or if you sync the ipod it can get rid of your stuff and install somebody else really fast so its basically like having an external memory.
Which really doesn't matter on a gaming handheld anyways.

Quote:
And what are you talking about because all you have to do is plug your ipod and you can basically put all your media. You dont have to pay for updates they are really upgrades and you dont know if in the future you r going to have to pay for it like the iphone you dont have to pay for new features and it went down from 600 to 200 dollars. And it has so many new features that rarely there will be an upgrade. There hasnt been an upgrade since january
Again, I really don't see any features here that matter to a gaming handheld.

Quote:
The psp is mainly a video game system but you have the ipod touch which is mainly media and it plays games almost just as good as the psp with major companies developing apps like EA and more. Games like super monkey ball that rolls with the accelerometer.
And Super Monkey Balls sucks..well, not going to go there.

The Ipod Touch will not have the quality games that the PSP has. Why? It is not developed enough to be a full on gaming handheld, just a media device. It will not have quality games such as Crisis Core, Jeanne D Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Parasite Eve 3, Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, and so on and so forth.

Quote:
Overall the psp and ds are dead. I stop playing them and my friends stop playing them and there friends and so on and people i just met stop playing them.
Then you and your friends need to actually open your eyes and do some research into what entails a gaming handheld. The PSP and the DS are far from dead, it's anything BUT dead. They're both going strong, each with exciting releases coming out. To say that they're dead is akin to saying the 360, PS3, and the Wii are dead.

Last edited by twinArmageddons; 08-05-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
whoa, chill out fanboy! I'm not sure what you mean about "getting my facts straight". I simply said that I HEARD (meaning I heard from another source, not that I KNOW) that there are free 3rd party apps out there for the iPod Touch. didn't say Apple didn't provide free apps, nor did I say all 3rd party apps are free, I simply said this b/c there is a 3rd party app that's being developed that I thought sounded cool that I'd download, should I get a Touch. and no, I don't go to Apple events, I'm not a fanboy/fangirl. I like my iPod but am not obsessed w/ Apple products and put down other products and other people who aren't as obsessed about the gloriousness that is Apple

Simmer down and don't accuse me not having my facts straight (b/c, if you actually had read my post, you'd see I make no absolute facts, just posted my opinions, preferences, and info I've heard)
Im not a fanboy i just like my ipodand ive never been to an apple event i asked have you ever saw one because they give you a video of it for example Apple - QuickTime - WWDC 2008 Keynote (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc08/ - broken link)
Im not obsessed i would just like to get the information on all things so i can back up what im saying

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, since this IS the video game forum, and the OP did ask about two video game systems, isn't safe to assume the OP wanted a device that could specifically play *gasp, wait for it* VIDEO GAMES?! if the OP just wanted a PMP, then this thread would be in technology, not in the video game forum

LOL, you're a funny fanboi! Apple has made major strides in the MP3 player and cell phone business, but it will NEVER touch Sony and Nintendo when it comes to portable video game systems. MS is the only one that could come close, should they come out w/ a portable system, but it seems like even they are holding back (I haven't heard anything about them coming out w/ a portable system or making Xbox games fully available on the Zune, but then again, I don't pay much attention to Xbox and Zune news).

maybe your circle of friends don't play them, but the market for the PSP and the DS are FAR from dead. GTA may be coming to the DS, Guitar Hero On Tour is out, more and more games are being produced for these systems (and thankfully, Nintendo is embracing a more adult audience w/ more mature games). these systems can better handle these complicated games that no Apple product can (I shudder to imagine how to play certain games w/ a touch screen or how much space one of these games would take up on an iPod Touch). Apple, until it makes some DRASTIC changes to their products, like having a slot where memory cards or games can be switched in and out, will never catch up to the DS or PSP b/c it lacks flexibility. there's only so many games you can load onto a 16gb Touch, and on a long trip, you may get bored w/ what you have. Me, I can carry quite a few DS and GBA games, and can switch them out as needed. plus, the gaming selection for the DS and PSP is far more diverse than the games for the iPods (again, this is due to the platform. having a touch screen really limits the type of games that can be played, or at the very least, the enjoyment in playing those games. the margin for error using a touch screen is greater than using regular buttons, and an intense gamer won't be thrilled about that).

again, for the OP, a DS, or rather, a PSP in this case, is the best deal, since it allows more flexibility, and MOST importantly, the OP isn't tied to a laptop or forced to scour for free wi-fi, or ANY wi-fi spots (in case you didn't read the OP's post, s/he is traveling around the world. there may not be wi-fi everywhere they go, and they may have trouble accessing the iTunes store overseas since every country has their own version. you suggesting the OP gets accounts for multiple versions of iTunes so if they want to download more apps and games they can? that's ludicrous)

the point of this thread isn't to go into a whole Apple vs Everyone Else debate. the OP has specific requirements and desires and the iPod Touch doesn't fit their needs (again, read the original post) so no amount of Apple hyping and DS/PSP bashing is going to help and is irrelevant here
1 they are dead just because people today buy them they are not as popular as a regular console of course and the market has nothing to do with RATHER PEOPLE PLAY THEM AS OFTEN. 2. it has a MULTi touch screen and an accelerometer which helps also in the enjoyment 3. I just explained that it is not focused completely on games and it is not good as a gaming system but who in the world wants to travel and just frequently play only games. Maybe Nerds.
Quote:
iTunes store overseas since every country has their own version.
You can access the american version anywhere because it is one program and it has a column where you can choose between countries. If you have itunes look at the bottom of the store you would see a bar with a country in it. The first statement said console but they wouldnt have put other as an option if it didnt mean that you could put something else. There are only 2 portable console systems and and dont add sp.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
It's a good thing that it's that easy to put stuff on the PSP then, eh? Unless you want to put a movie on it, but even then it's an easy conversion process that's painless to do.

Then you and your friends need to actually open your eyes and do some research into what entails a gaming handheld. The PSP and the DS are far from dead, it's anything BUT dead. They're both going strong, each with exciting releases coming out. To say that they're dead is akin to saying the 360, PS3, and the Wii are dead.
When you put the first quote did you comprehend it or the comment after it is just sarcasm because i just explained how easy it is to put your media on with out having to do anything.

2 You must really have no life or not a true videogamer because by what i see there are no exciting games. If there was i would still be playing them like gta on ds is going to be more crappy than the one for the psp. I have a ps3 , 360 ,and wii and i play them frequently because they are worthy to be played. It is not like saying these consoles are dead because these home consoles and potable consoles are waaaaaaaaaaaaay different.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM

the only good game out so far for the psp is god of war.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM

PS: im not a fanboy. You people are way to judgmental. My first post was my opinion and some one wants to come along and quote me and judge my opinion and turn this into which is better and my response was to stand up for what i believe

Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,759 times
iPod: Best movie/music/photo portable player around, with the Touch version having internet capabilities, acceptable battery life, but it comes with a few negatives: A) it is ultra dependent on your computer, B) they tend to die in 2 years or under, C) Good luck getting your DVDs on it…

PSP: Does everything the Touch does albeit not as good, but handles it very well, while offering the best gaming experience IMO, and a very sturdy system that wont die on you like the iPod BUT… A) It has a hideous battery life, B) you will need a carrying case for all the accessories, C) Portable? Kyahahahahaha! Well, at least not the fit in you pocket comfortable kind of portable

DS: Awesome batter life, its innovative, cheap, and vey portable, except… A) games aren’t very good IMO, B) Games are all it does

The rest is up to you, the original poster

Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
iPod: Best movie/music/photo portable player around, with the Touch version having internet capabilities, acceptable battery life, but it comes with a few negatives: A) it is ultra dependent on your computer, B) they tend to die in 2 years or under, C) Good luck getting your DVDs on it…

PSP: Does everything the Touch does albeit not as good, but handles it very well, while offering the best gaming experience IMO, and a very sturdy system that wont die on you like the iPod BUT… A) It has a hideous battery life, B) you will need a carrying case for all the accessories, C) Portable? Kyahahahahaha! Well, at least not the fit in you pocket comfortable kind of portable

DS: Awesome batter life, its innovative, cheap, and vey portable, except… A) games aren’t very good IMO, B) Games are all it does

The rest is up to you, the original poster
I have to disagree.

I've owned a total of three PSPs. I have the same six games I started with. I've owned a ton of PSP games, and ended up trading them in because they weren't all that great. Three of the games I still have are imports. Lumines is one. Considering how many games came out since Lumines dropped, that's a strong indicator of the quality of the games on that system. They don't suck...they're just not great. However, Lumines alone is sufficient for hours of enjoyment.

I've also owned a total of three DSs, including the older model which was garbage. To say the games aren't that good? DS has been dropping hit after hit in 2008 with some yet still to come. Seems a legendary great is dropping on that system every month. It's what the N64 should have been.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
1 they are dead just because people today buy them they are not as popular as a regular console of course and the market has nothing to do with RATHER PEOPLE PLAY THEM AS OFTEN.

3. I just explained that it is not focused completely on games and it is not good as a gaming system but who in the world wants to travel and just frequently play only games. Maybe Nerds.

There are only 2 portable console systems and and dont add sp.
If they were "dead", then people wouldn't be buying them or the games. The N64 is Dead. The DS is not dead. The Lynx Handheld is dead, the PSP is not.

And secondly, you might just want to call me a nerd, 'cause the only extras I would use on a gaming unit would be the music and video. Anything else is just extra garbage that wastes time and space. Sure it's fun to play with... but I'm a true gamer who really only buys gaming consoles/handhelds in order to play them.

Lastly, your comment about the SP is actually false. Right now, my nerdy husband is playing Zelda: Oracle of Ages on my special Region-Free SP.

Quote:
You must really have no life or not a true videogamer because by what i see there are no exciting games. If there was i would still be playing them like gta on ds is going to be more crappy than the one for the psp. I have a ps3 , 360 ,and wii and i play them frequently because they are worthy to be played. It is not like saying these consoles are dead because these home consoles and potable consoles are waaaaaaaaaaaaay different.
It all depends on your opinion of a good game. I can list several for the PSP that have stolen hours of my life simply because I like a good story. Games such as Valhalla Knights, Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, God of War, Valhalla Knights, etc. Games for the DS like Pokemon (rock on!), Megaman, Izuna, Phantom Hourglass, Animal Crossing (hurray for nerds), Disgaea, etc.

I've also got the PS3, 360, and Wii. I also have a menagerie of older consoles that get the dust blown off when I feel the urge to play. Heck, once in a blue moon, I get the desire to play Chip's Challenge - on the old Atari Lynx Handheld. Call us "true gamers" nerds or geeks all you want - we don't really care.

If the OP wants a gaming platform that can do a few nifty features, then a PSP is the answer. If the OP wants a media platform that can play a few games, then the Touch might be a better choice.

Personally, I'll just keep with having a Zune, PSP, DS, and cellphone. I get everything I need just like that. (Yeah, that's right, I said Zune.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games