Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Console is Best for Travellers?
Sony PSP 14 63.64%
Nintendo DS 6 27.27%
Other - Please State and Explain 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
1 they are dead just because people today buy them they are not as popular as a regular console of course and the market has nothing to do with RATHER PEOPLE PLAY THEM AS OFTEN.
This comment makes no sense whatsoever. They're dead because people buy them? And don't even BEGIN to say that they're not as popular anymore. Look at the sales of the DS. It's selling MORE than even the WII is. And the Wii is the best selling CONSOLE.

Quote:
2. it has a MULTi touch screen and an accelerometer which helps also in the enjoyment 3. I just explained that it is not focused completely on games and it is not good as a gaming system
So why even bring it up in a GAMING forum?

Quote:
but who in the world wants to travel and just frequently play only games.
*raises hand* If I want music, I'll listen to my cheap 17 dollar MP3 player. If I want to call someone, I'll do it on my Razr. If I want to play games, I'll do it on either mine and Kuharai's PSP, my DS, or my SP.

Quote:
Maybe Nerds.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
There are only 2 portable console systems and and dont add sp.
How about the Ngage? They're still coming otu with games for that. And yes, they're still releasing games for the SP, so we CAN add that. Or how about the numerous other portable games? Open your eyes.

Quote:
2 You must really have no life
Which is why I'm a husband and a father.

Quote:
or not a true videogamer
Which is why I've been gaming for at least 20 years.

Quote:
because by what i see there are no exciting games.
RPGamer > Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
RPGamer > Phantasy Star Portable
RPGamer > Star Ocean: First Departure
RPGamer > Star Ocean: Second Evolution
RPGamer > Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition
RPGamer > Tales of Rebirth PSP
RPGamer > Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
RPGamer > Valhalla Knights 2
RPGamer > Final Fantasy XIII Agito
RPGamer > Parasite Eve 3: The Third Birthday
RPGamer > Blue Dragon Plus
RPGamer > Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
RPGamer > Disgaea DS
RPGamer > Chrono Trigger DS
RPGamer > Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
RPGamer > Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
RPGamer > Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
RPGamer > Dragon Quest IX: Defender of the Stars
RPGamer > Fire Emblem DS
RPGamer > Front Mission 2089 DS
RPGamer > Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pokémon Platinum News

Oh really? And those are just upcoming.

Quote:
If there was i would still be playing them like gta on ds is going to be more crappy than the one for the psp.
Which shouldn't be all that crappy since the PSP GTA was actually GOOD.

Quote:
I have a ps3 , 360 ,and wii
Good for you. So do I!

Quote:
and i play them frequently because they are worthy to be played.
Except for the Wii, but yes.

Quote:
It is not like saying these consoles are dead because these home consoles and potable consoles are waaaaaaaaaaaaay different.
Only in the way that you can take a portable console with you and play everywhere you go. Besides that, they're not all that different. They still have a good life ahead of them.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
PSP: Does everything the Touch does albeit not as good, but handles it very well, while offering the best gaming experience IMO, and a very sturdy system that wont die on you like the iPod BUT… A) It has a hideous battery life, B) you will need a carrying case for all the accessories, C) Portable? Kyahahahahaha! Well, at least not the fit in you pocket comfortable kind of portable
You can extend the battery life a little by lowering some features, but yes, the battery life is hideous. Either buy a few spares or keep a charger on you at all times.

As for accessories, the only accessories I'd recommend is extra thumbpads and a set of headphones.

And the PSP fits comfortably in my pants, but then again, I normally wear Tripp Red Strap And Pocket Pants @ Hottopic.com these, or something with pockets as big as these, so eh.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
This comment makes no sense whatsoever. They're dead because people buy them? And don't even BEGIN to say that they're not as popular anymore. Look at the sales of the DS. It's selling MORE than even the WII is. And the Wii is the best selling CONSOLE.
How come in all the stores i go to nobody is shopping for the psp games as much as the ds and most of them buying are children. The psp and ds cameout before the wii.

Quote:
So why even bring it up in a GAMING forum?
Did u read my post already it says other as an option.

Quote:
*raises hand* If I want music, I'll listen to my cheap 17 dollar MP3 player. If I want to call someone, I'll do it on my Razr. If I want to play games, I'll do it on either mine and Kuharai's PSP, my DS, or my SP.
What is this, the 20th century, you guys are just like my parents except they buy the best things but dont even use most of the features on them.

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.
It is a bad thing, Nerd not like what some people think like being smart but nerd as in nerdy geeky (personality wise.)

Quote:
How about the Ngage? They're still coming otu with games for that. And yes, they're still releasing games for the SP, so we CAN add that. Or how about the numerous other portable games? Open your eyes.
The sp ha, my 5 year cousin plays that and whats the point in downgrading when you can get better thats just mental. MY eyes are open i never said they stopped selling games.

Quote:
Which is why I'm a husband and a father.
What does that have to do with anything. You dont even know how old i am.
Quote:
Which is why I've been gaming for at least 20 years.

RPGamer > Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
RPGamer > Phantasy Star Portable
RPGamer > Star Ocean: First Departure
RPGamer > Star Ocean: Second Evolution
RPGamer > Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition
RPGamer > Tales of Rebirth PSP
RPGamer > Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
RPGamer > Valhalla Knights 2
RPGamer > Final Fantasy XIII Agito
RPGamer > Parasite Eve 3: The Third Birthday
RPGamer > Blue Dragon Plus
RPGamer > Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
RPGamer > Disgaea DS
RPGamer > Chrono Trigger DS
RPGamer > Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
RPGamer > Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
RPGamer > Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
RPGamer > Dragon Quest IX: Defender of the Stars
RPGamer > Fire Emblem DS
RPGamer > Front Mission 2089 DS
RPGamer > Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pokémon Platinum News

Oh really? And those are just upcoming.
They still sound more crappy to me. Most of those games u listed are basically games that people always obsess over. Yuk final fantasy, IDK, i hate that game

Quote:
Which shouldn't be all that crappy since the PSP GTA was actually GOOD.
Have you seen the ds graphics plus the fact that gta is a huge game how do u think they are going to make it with smaller boundaries. It may just be better version of the gba gta or was it gbc

Quote:
Only in the way that you can take a portable console with you and play everywhere you go. Besides that, they're not all that different. They still have a good life ahead of them.
Your forgetting graphics, game play, and title options.

Ive been to virginia beach actually i have an uncle there ive been to a couple of malls with electronic stores and i still see nobody buying games for the ds and psp as much as the consoles.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You can extend the battery life a little by lowering some features, but yes, the battery life is hideous. Either buy a few spares or keep a charger on you at all times.

As for accessories, the only accessories I'd recommend is extra thumbpads and a set of headphones.

And the PSP fits comfortably in my pants, but then again, I normally wear Tripp Red Strap And Pocket Pants @ Hottopic.com these, or something with pockets as big as these, so eh.
Is it even safe to keep your games in there, especially the size of the game plopping around in those baggy and ugly pair of pants. You would still need to tie it up to something like i did when i got the psp when it first came out and my dad was afraid that someone would steal it so i either tied it to my belt hoop or put it around my neck even though people kept staring at me in envy.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Lastly, your comment about the SP is actually false. Right now, my nerdy husband is playing Zelda: Oracle of Ages on my special Region-Free SP.
Maybe thats your husband but mostly i see little children playing the sp especially when you can get a better system.

Quote:
I've also got the PS3, 360, and Wii. I also have a menagerie of older consoles that get the dust blown off when I feel the urge to play. Heck, once in a blue moon, I get the desire to play Chip's Challenge - on the old Atari Lynx Handheld. Call us "true gamers" nerds or geeks all you want - we don't really care.
i dont care if you dont care im not as old as you. I have old systems i just dont play them (except my dreamcast) because the new systems can play the old games. its called backwards compatibility. I dont play my gbc because i gave it away to my cousin.

Quote:
If the OP wants a gaming platform that can do a few nifty features, then a PSP is the answer. If the OP wants a media platform that can play a few games, then the Touch might be a better choice.
Finally something i can agree with.

Quote:
Personally, I'll just keep with having a Zune, PSP, DS, and cellphone. I get everything I need just like that. (Yeah, that's right, I said Zune.)
why zune

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:

This is true about the batteries in the psp i had to get a bigger battery which got on my nerves because too so i kept use the regular battery and the new battery just by keeping them both charged so when one runs out ill put the next one in.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

What type of player is it and if $17 it probably holds like what 20-30 songs

Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
How come in all the stores i go to nobody is shopping for the psp games as much as the ds and most of them buying are children. The psp and ds cameout before the wii.
Because the DS is more popular and better selling than the PSP.

Quote:
Did u read my post already it says other as an option.
WHich I'm sure didn't mean an Ipod Touch, or he'd put it in the Technology section. Since the Ipod cannot compare to the DS and the PSP in terms of GAMING. Which is why this is in a GAMING subforum.

Quote:
What is this, the 20th century, you guys are just like my parents except they buy the best things but dont even use most of the features on them.
21st century, actually.

Quote:
It is a bad thing, Nerd not like what some people think like being smart but nerd as in nerdy geeky (personality wise.)
And I'm proud to be a geek. My wife calls me a geek all the time. And she's a geek as well. Geek=/=bad.

Quote:
The sp ha, my 5 year cousin plays that and whats the point in downgrading when you can get better thats just mental.
Because the SP is cheap, easy to get, and has plenty of good games on it?

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything. You dont even know how old i am.
You said I didn't have a life. THose things prove I have somewhat of a life. And I don't care how old you are, only how old you act.

Quote:
They still sound more crappy to me. Most of those games u listed are basically games that people always obsess over. Yuk final fantasy, IDK, i hate that game
Alright, let me get some more.

Like Resistance, another Guitar Hero, another Syphon Filter, good games such as these. I don't care if you hate them or not, to say that they have no good games is ignorant.

And people don't obsess over Parasite Eve. At least, not as much as they should.

Quote:
Have you seen the ds graphics
Yes, I have. They're in between the N64 and the GCN.

Quote:
plus the fact that gta is a huge game how do u think they are going to make it with smaller boundaries.
Very well, and interesting use of touch screen technology.

Quote:
It may just be better version of the gba gta or was it gbc
GBC, and that was a port of the original GTA.

Quote:
Your forgetting graphics, game play, and title options.
Graphics, the PSP has hands down. Gameplay and title options are all opinion, and I beleive the PSP has that down pat as well.

Quote:
Ive been to virginia beach actually i have an uncle there ive been to a couple of malls with electronic stores and i still see nobody buying games for the ds and psp as much as the consoles.
Irrelevant. Look up sales figures. Don't go by what you see for a short trip to the mall. Not to mention, around here, there's a Gamestop at every corner.

Quote:
Is it even safe to keep your games in there
Very safe, actually.

Quote:
You would still need to tie it up to something like i did when i got the psp when it first came out
Nope. Never had a problem. The pockets are deep, not wide open.

Quote:
Maybe thats your husband but mostly i see little children playing the sp especially when you can get a better system.
We have the better systems. I just like playing the classics as well. Right now I'm taking a break from Crisis Core.

Quote:
i just dont play them (except my dreamcast) because the new systems can play the old games. its called backwards compatibility. I dont play my gbc because i gave it away to my cousin.
Really? I can plug NES and SNES games into my Wii? I can play Metal Gear Solid 2 on my Xbox 360? I can play Nights Into Dreams on my PS3? I can play Link's Awakening on my DS?

Quote:
why zune
A. Unrivaled video support, and better screen for watching videos.
B. Very easy to get music on, just plug and go.
C. Very good support, and you can plug it into anyone's computer without downloading clunky software.

Quote:
What type of player is it and if $17 it probably holds like what 20-30 songs
It's a 1 gig mp3 player. It came preloaded with 30 songs, and now it holds over 100.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 08-06-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: by request

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:

i dont care if you dont care im not as old as you. I have old systems i just dont play them (except my dreamcast) because the new systems can play the old games. its called backwards compatibility. I dont play my gbc because i gave it away to my cousin.

why zune
Actually, the SP can play original Game Boy (color) games (such as Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons) and the DS cannot. Hence, if you want to play the older games, you will need a GBA or SP.

Age shouldn't be a factor in gaming. Just as I play games, my two year old uses a duck shooter and the NES, and my father still plays on MUD and Maple Story. And please show me a modern system that is backwards compatible for Chip's Challenge. I would love it.

Why Zune? Because it does everything the equivalent iPod can - and my music and such aren't trapped in some program. There's no need to convert the music, either! Oh, and it has a radio tuner.

And Lang, I would have a heart attack if the PS3 would get a plugin that would allow for Saturn Games. That would instantly give the PS3 a HUGE edge - and with the capacity of the Saturn Emulators available, I'm sure it could easily be done with that system.

But this really is pointless dribble going back and forth over Touch vs. Everything else. Those of us who play games with more depth than Super Monkey Balls would agree that even the Atari Lynx could beat a Touch in terms of gaming.

So, OP,

If you want gaming with features: PSP
If you want goodies and apps with some games: Touch

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 08-06-2008 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:

21st century, actually.

Because the SP is cheap, easy to get, and has plenty of good games on it?

You said I didn't have a life. THose things prove I have somewhat of a life. And I don't care how old you are, only how old you act.
First dont you know sarcasm. of course its cheap it only plays games and its old. What do you mean easy to get. I didnt say you didnt have a life i said you might not have a life speaking in general term.

Quote:
Alright, let me get some more.

Like Resistance, another Guitar Hero, another Syphon Filter, good games such as these. I don't care if you hate them or not, to say that they have no good games is ignorant.
Im not sure if you are talking about these games for the hame consoles or the potable ones

Quote:
Graphics, the PSP has hands down. Gameplay and title options are all opinion, and I beleive the PSP has that down pat as well.
I was talking about better graphics on a home based console.

Quote:
Irrelevant. Look up sales figures. Don't go by what you see for a short trip to the mall. Not to mention, around here, there's a Gamestop at every corner.
Please we have stores on every block which in terms can be any type of terms and every block in virginia beach ha ha. Virginia beach is not much of a city let along it having a store on every block NYC vs Virginia beach do the math.

Quote:
Really? I can plug NES and SNES games into my Wii? I can play Metal Gear Solid 2 on my Xbox 360? I can play Nights Into Dreams on my PS3? I can play Link's Awakening on my DS?
For the wii only game cube games. for 360 only xbox games, for ps3 only ps1 and 2 games. DS gba games. GBA only gbc games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games