Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 AM

474 posts, read 1,261,057 times

Advertisements

When it rains it pours. My husband has had 3 job offers in Virginia and we must settle on which area we should consider, based in part on his job but also our own personal interests.

He has been to the Roanoke area and has had luck finding employment there. So the kind folks here have helped me with my questions about Roanoke and its surrounding counties.

Now he has a nice offer from an employer in Staunton. He is a nurse and the employer called him and practically begged him to come work for them. That town seems to offer a lot of things--high on the list is the Shakespeare theatre, as my hubby is a BIG fan of the Bard. It appears to be a town proud of its historical roots and is trying to keep the look and feel of the past.

Another big point is that it is a whistle stop on the AMTRAK train line (the Cardinal). This is important especially to me as I would be able to take the train to Philadelphia and then onward to my relatives or to the events in South Jersey that we have grown to love and attend.

Of course, housing prices come into play. We would like a few acres--the house could be stick built, modular or even mobile if on a permanent foundation--to have a couple of horses. I am finding some potential homes in Augusta and Rockbridge Counties.

My medical needs may possibly be taken care of at the Univ. of VA Facility in Charlottesville, a not unreasonable drive.

I know the shopping is nowhere near places like Roanoke with its Valley View Mall etc., and I would miss that, having been used to the malls and other shopping areas here in South Jersey.

Can someone give me a general impression of the Staunton area and the type of people there and in the environs surrounding it? We must come to a decision soon and make a move--the quicker the better--for both my health and financial reasons.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,528 times
If shopping areas are the only drawback, take comfort in knowing that Harrisonburg is not far north on I81. Other than that, I think you will find that area absolutely awesome to live in.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Found Something Negative :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
If shopping areas are the only drawback, take comfort in knowing that Harrisonburg is not far north on I81. Other than that, I think you will find that area absolutely awesome to live in.
Thank you for the reply. After I posted my questions I did a Google on Staunton and found something very disturbing.

Several webpages noted that back in 2005 there was a big controversy over teaching public grammar school children a religious course. It was said that "yuppie outsiders"-the articles words, not mine--were upset and thought it divisive, brainwashing etc. And violation of the Constitutional separation of Church and State.

I have to say I agree. Children of that age will believe anything adults tell them (well, almost They still won't eat their vegetables). That amounts to brainwashing. I also read that with a population of about 24,000 there are 75 churches! It is known as Virginia's Bible Belt.

That is just too much for me! I'm afraid that I would be very outspoken about it and my life made miserable. I need less stress, not more.

So I think we'll stick with our other choices. Sad, because I thought I found a really nice place. But I thank you anyway. We can still visit there and especially go to see the Shakespearean Theatre. But as for living with such a mindset--no thanks.

I appreciate your quick response. No place is perfect, but there are certain issues near and dear to my heart, and that would be one of them. Onward and upward, as they say!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 PM

168 posts, read 841,321 times
Hey there,

I have been looking in VA for the last 6 months for a place. I work remotely and it doesnt matter where I live,....I ultimately bought a place in Elkton.

First off,....you read 1 report? And you are tossing the idea of Staunton? I would advice you to do alot more research than that before giving up on a potentially great place.

I would also advise you to consider some of the other areas around.
I chose Elkton because it is an extremely small rural town, BUT it is 20 minutes or so south of Luray which is a great, historic albeit touristy town, Elkton is 20 minutes or so north of Staunton....a beautiful drive on 340.
It has Charlottesville 40 minutes to the east, and Harrisonburg 15 minutes to the west.
Real estate prices are good, but ofcourse it depends on what you are looking for.

Keep the faith and keep looking, a job in Staunton opens up alot of potential places to live!

Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,528 times
I gotta side with the Doc on this one, DA. 75 churches, does not an empire make. Hell, I've got a bit more than ten acres in the woods and can think of at least 20 churches within ten miles. It's Virginia, and you have to remember that churches have been built here since the 1600s. If you think you'll be harassed and such, check out Dayton or Bridgewater, there's a large population on old school Mennonites there. They may not like you, but they will leave you alone.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Some Explaining about Me

Thanks for the advice. It's not that I want to be alone, and I'm not looking to disappear into the wilderness-yet! If I were healthier, that would actually be more of a goal.

Since I've first written I have googled and found a ton of atheist, free-thinkers and other secular organizations and clubs in Virginia. In fact, I was stunned at how many there are. So it does seem to balance out.

However, after much consideration we have decided to stick with the Roanoke area. The shopping is great and there are cultural events galore. I've also had to admit to myself something I don't like to do--that my disability is such that having shopping relatively close to me is a necessity. Trying to balance my love of living in the country, nature and animals yet be within a relatively short distance from shopping, medical facilities etc. In other words, I refuse to give up my dreams.

Here in South Jersey (and I emphasize SOUTH) you can live on xx number of acres, have miles of wooded trails in your backyard, yet in 12 miles be in the center of malls and shopping centers. I would not leave if we didn't have to, but we do. So my search brought me to looking at Virginia.

Sorry for the book I've just written here. I thought I just needed to explain myself a bit more clearly. This forum is great in that I can hear from residents rather then a business(s) that is trying to sell me something!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:39 AM

168 posts, read 841,321 times
Well,....good luck to you then!
I will agree that Roanoke has alot to offer. I saw a few places near it that fit my needs, and almost put an offer on a house outside of Wytheville on the Roanoke side....

Again,....best of luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Dr. Jim - many thanks. At least for the present, it will soften the blow of having to leave the familiar behind as many aspects of the Roanoke area resemble where I have been living the last 18 years.

And who know what the future will bring? Nothing in life is permanent, and that can be good as well as bad!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 31,720 times
Talking Info On Staunton & Surrounding

I moved from IA to Staunton 26 years ago, and the area is beyond beautiful with mountains on both sides; history everywhere you go - Staunton has Woodrow Wilson Birthplace, various Civil War sites - there are also Civil War Re-Enactment groups in the area. Charlottesville (45 min. away) boasts Thomas Jefferson's home - Monticello.

Yes, we in Staunton are very proud of the Blackfriar's Playhouse - it is an exact replica of Shakespeare's theater. If you are interested in community theater, we have 3 very active theater groups within a 15 mi. radius. We are the home of Mary Baldwin College. The downtown area is relatively small but we have a variety of shops - a 2 or 3 jewelry stores, a book store & a used book store; a wide variety of restaurants, two movie theaters - there is also one at the Mall; however, if you love history, you will love Staunton and the surrounding counties. Lexington - Stonewall Jackson Museum; VMI- Virginia Military Institute; Albemarle Co. - Charlottesville, is on the other side of the Blue Ridge Mts., there you will find Monticello, Ashe Lawn, University of VA, I could go on and on, but I will stop here. If you are a country music fan, The Statlers have a gift shop where you can buy CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, T-shirts, sweatshirts, ball caps - etc. etc. A young and upcoming county act, "Grandstaff" comprised of Wil Reid (Harold's son) & Langdon Rein (Don's son) sell CD's, T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. from that home office.

I could go on and on and on and on

ANIOWAN

Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,123 times
Angry Christians can't be "Free Thinkers?"

Something struck a nerve with me on references to the Staunton area, the number of churches, and how that may somehow cause you to be oppressed. How is the world do you equate being a Christian with being unable to think? How would taking a religious course hurt you? At a minimum you may be a little more educated even if you don't believe. The Bible school classes that are offered at the area schools are strictly voluntary are part of a scheduled time where students can take part in a variety of activities.

No one will harass you for being an atheist, they may feel sorrow for you but will not egg your house! I mean come on! I'm offended at the notion that Christians are somehow a bunch of automatons that can think for themselves, drink the "Kool-Aide", and do the willing of a zealot pastor! Ewwwww those crazy non-thinkers!

Staunton is wonderful town. I grew up there and still have hundreds of relatives in the area. If being around Christians bothers you that much, just stay in New Jersey. We love meeting new people and enjoy the fact that people want to move here. What I hate are the people who want to move into an area and force their values on the residents and try to change a way of life that has hurt absolutely no one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia