Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM

40 posts, read 87,187 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Atlanta to Staunton. Since this will be a major culture change, I'd like to know what are the major adjustments we will have to make or get used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR001 View Post
We are moving from Atlanta to Staunton. Since this will be a major culture change, I'd like to know what are the major adjustments we will have to make or get used to?
Hi there, I live in Staunton so I hope I can be of help. The biggest and most obvious will be that you're coming from a very large metro area to a small town area. The closest similar sized metro which is 2.5 hrs away is DC. You will notice a lack of shopping, dining, and culture. The pace of life most definitely will be slower. Public transit is comprised of just two "trolleys" and taxis. Hopefully you are already aware of most of this, so you won't be completely shocked. There are many people in the area that I know personally that have moved from even bigger cities that like it here. My best friend grew up in the shadow of NYC and there are other friends that have come from northern NJ. Another friend came from Queens, NYC and there are others from the Philly area. Now mix all that with your stereotypical redneck/hillbilly crowd and you get an interesting mix. Downtown Staunton is historic and walkable and has become a haven for the areas artist/professional/coffee drinker/locally owned non chain crowd. Out of the downtown area is your typical Wal-Mart crowd. I personally like Staunton, though it can be frustrating at times. I think there is a lot of potential that many old timers just don't care about. For my big city fixes I usually end up in Richmond, and DC. If you don't mind me asking what is bringing you to the Shanandoah Valley? Any other questions just ask, and welcome!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM

40 posts, read 87,187 times
Thank you for all the information. My husband and I are moving there because I will be working at the hospital there. We're evaluating where to live - which area will be easiest to assimilate into. I do have one other question: are there shuttle buses to/from Dulles airport from Staunton or Waynesboro?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR001 View Post
Thank you for all the information. My husband and I are moving there because I will be working at the hospital there. We're evaluating where to live - which area will be easiest to assimilate into. I do have one other question: are there shuttle buses to/from Dulles airport from Staunton or Waynesboro?
On the shuttle bus situation, I doubt it. However there should be a commuter plane that should be able to take you to the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport. And from there you can get a taxi to Staunton, Waynesboro, or Harrisonburg. The Shen Valley airport is about 12 miles north of Staunton in a little town called Weyers Cave. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 32,471 times
Staunton and Waynesboro are similiar. Both are small, redneck-hillbilly, types of towns. I highly do NOT recommend either place to live if you prefer the "big city". The area (Augusta County) is extremely agricultural... so prepare for that.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

79 posts, read 302,314 times
Staunton is a beautiful area. My family and I enjoy living here - and we moved here from Nashville. There are many business owners and artists who are making the area more progressive. The redneck factor is not even a concern and never bothers us. You choose who you want to hang around. There are plenty of educated, professional, liberal minded types - as well as the opposite. I love the beauty of the town itself and how people take pride in keeping the area natural and well kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia