Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 24,384 times

Advertisements

Also, up here it's rare to find land for less than $3k an acre, unless you are buying literally hundreds of acres. And that's if it doesn't include gas/mineral rights. People are going nuts over the gas rights that they are hoping to get $$$ from someday so prices are becoming ridiculous on properties up here. Even if we wanted to stay we would never be able to afford it. We want a small house/farm, with 10+ acres. Very small scale. We would also appreciate some friendly neighbors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM

65 posts, read 268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosgirl17 View Post
RedRican, we are about an hour south of Syracuse NY. Overall the cost of living doesn't look horrible up here until you take into consideration the taxes. You can easily find a property for 80-100k, then find out that the taxes are upwards of 6k a year!!!!! That's a whole additional mortgage, in my opinion!! Also, gun laws are ridiculous anymore, and taxes on everything are pretty awful.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming please!!! Are there any carpenter unions at all in the state, or does being a right-to-work state mean that there are none at all? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on all this stuff and thanks for everyone's help so far...
There are some uniins; call this number 804-743-7458, this will connect you with The Brotherhood of Carpenters Local 388. They should be able to give you more information about union jobs in VA.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM

65 posts, read 268,603 times
Try this link, it has all the offices in Virginia, DC and Maryland

Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters: United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,104,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosgirl17 View Post
Does anyone have any input on the best areas of VA for AFFORDABLE country living, horses, low taxes (remember I am coming from NY LOL), work for a carpenter (he is union up here) . . .
Avoid NoVA (northern VA) which is suburban DC -- rare to find 10 "affordable", country-living acres. It can be found in Loudoun Co, but IMO keep going west into Clark and Frederick County -- much more affordable, plenty of land, and absolutely stunning. There are farms out here for horses, beef cattle, and alpacas. Check out: Frederick County, Clark, Warren, Shenandoah in the NW part of VA.

I was in Front Royal, VA last week and came across a farm. Stopped and spoke to the staff there and they told me it was a farm for retired race horses. That was totally cool.

Of course much of this depends on where you find employment. Your hubby might find work with construction companies. Also, if you move to Frederick County, Highway 81 North connects to parts of WV, MD, and PA where you could also search for employment.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,646,593 times
I have a friend who moved to Bedford County, Va. They asked the realtor what the monthly taxes would be on a particular home. When he told them, the wife said "That's not too bad. We're paying just a little less a month now." The realtor said, "No, I'm talking about "per year" not per month". They stayed there. Another big difference they said was car ownership and car insurance. That area is big on dairy farms, cattle, horses, llamas and alpacas too. Old time farmers as well as new natural lovers. There's a cute town, the city of Bedford. A more built up area called Forest. And Forest is a sort of suburb, with lots of people working from home or with offices nearby, and the city of Lynchburg is the bigger one beside it.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,768,308 times
I would say check out a place like harper's ferry, WV. you are within 10 minutes of both VA, and MD. I think MD is a union state for your husband to find work, and that part of VA, northern loudoun county, is full of horse farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia