Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,331,777 times

Advertisements

The Richmond region is predominately white and African American, with small albeit growing Asian and Latino populations adding more diversity to the region. Looking at Census data shows the breakdown of races by percentages.

Regarding housing, it depends on what type of neighborhood (urban/suburban/rural), amenties, and price range you are looking for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM

157 posts, read 308,168 times
we are looking for suburban, a nice family, community feel. the price range would be no more then 325K. we would like a nice subdivision with lots of activities for young couples and children.....

Ladysmith was one area....are there any others??

Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM

There's many option for what you desire... Much of it will depend on where you end up working, but I'd probably take a look at areas to the North, Northwest, and Southwest of the city.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,201,948 times
Roanoke has plenty of jobs in certain markets like construction, finance, information technology, biotech, healthcare and engineering. My kids go to a private school (North Cross) and every month there are new families with new kids joining the school. I know very few people who have had difficulty keeping a job here once they settle in. Roanoke is a totally different "product" than Richmond. Totally different. Roanoke is smaller, which makes it better than Richmond for some people, while making it worse than Ricmond for others. If bigger is always better, than ignore Virginia altogether and move to Atlanta

Yes, for every new job created in the Roanoke metro, there are 20 people from out of state who want that job. But that's not a failing of the Roanoke economy. That's indicative of any desirable small city metro. In fact, the four metro areas in Virginia with the lowest unemployment rate are Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Winchester and Roanoke. They're all small metros. That should tell you something. Yes, the largest metro areas have more jobs, but they also have a greater percentage of their population standing in the unemployment line. Real estate is more expensive in a large metro. Everything is more expensive.

In the Roanoke metro, I live in a 7,000 square foot colonial williamsburg style cape cod. Custom designed and built with good solid moulded brick and wood. Half paneling on many walls, straight to the ceiling. Hardwood and tile everywhere. Built-ins abound. A 2,400 square foot basement with a 10' ceiling. With this view:

http://www.oakhillstablesva.com/images/photo_cahas.jpg (broken link)

I paid $685,000 for the house and 15 acres in 2005. The same house in a large metro like Richmond would have cost me $2,000,000 minimum. So, were I a professional working for someone other than myself, any salary increase imparted by living in a much larger metro would be eaten up by a drastic increase in the cost of living.

That's not to say it's not often better to choose the larger metro. I just believe that when someone operates on the assumption that a larger metro is always better, they limit their options and in turn their potential for personal and financial growth.

Sean

Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
In fact, the four metro areas in Virginia with the lowest unemployment rate are Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Winchester and Roanoke. They're all small metros. That should tell you something. Yes, the largest metro areas have more jobs, but they also have a greater percentage of their population standing in the unemployment line.
To be fair, Richmond in particular consistently has one of the lowest unemployment rates of large metros in the country. The rate is currently around 3.0-3.2% which is outstanding no matter where you are.

Virginia also has its fair share of small metros with considerably higher unemployment rates (Danville, Martinsville).

I think what should be pointed out is that in general, Virginia's economy is strong, with most areas having relatively low unemployment rates.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM

157 posts, read 308,168 times
good point sean, thank you for that. can we live in your basement? lol. it seems like you have a nice home there. we have an additional question as well. does it snow there in these areas. we like both the roanoke and richmond areas. we are looking for subdivisions online, any good ones to look at?

thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,201,948 times
I agree with Richmondpics entirely. I didn't mean to imply that in all cases the economy is better in a smaller metro rather than a larger metro. I think Richmond is a great area. It's hard to find a region within Virginia that is doing poorly from an economic standpoint, save for a few counties in south central Virginia (Danville, Martinsville) that are being hit _hard_ by offshoring. Overall, according to the BLS, in September '07, Virginia had the 4th lowest unemployment rate in the country.

Insofar as annual snowfall goes, the 30 year average for Roanoke is 22". However, the 10 year average is only +/- 13". Unless you're in deep SWVA, it isn't the sort of snow that hangs around for long. Most often it seems whatever snow falls is almost totally melted off after about six hours of sunshine.

As far as subdivisions go, here are some links:

Boone Homes, Inc. – Roanoke, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia’s Luxury Homebuilder - The Groves
Boone Homes, Inc. – Roanoke, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia’s Luxury Homebuilder - Stone Manor

Information about the Old Southwest City neighborhood, including some home examples:
Old Southwest, Inc - Home of the Month (http://www.oldsouthwestinc.com/home.htm - broken link)
Roanoke Valley
Roanoke Valley
Roanoke Valley
Roanoke Valley

And on some of Roanoke's most prestigious streets:

Roanoke Real Estate Listings and Homes for Sale in Roanoke, Virginia
Roanoke Real Estate Listings and Homes for Sale in Roanoke, Virginia

Cheers,

Sean

Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 AM

743 posts, read 3,907,649 times
One area closer to Richmond that my wife and I looked at was Woodlake and Brandermill. They are two planned established communities south west of Richmond. There you should be able to find homes in your price range, and have a nice communities. Lots are a good size, and the two communities surround a large lake. (electric only, no gas powered boats) You might need to do some fixing up on some of the homes, since they are not new... and also, most homes in Richmond do not have basements. I found this strange when we first started looking, but I guess it's a regional thing.

If you're looking for a new home near Richmond (closer than where I am) for that price range, it's going to need to be a town home, or in a bad area of town. (They are building new homes in sketchy areas, so be carefull)

Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM

I think there is new home construction in nicer areas that is within their range though.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 PM

743 posts, read 3,907,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I think there is new home construction in nicer areas that is within their range though.
Where? I'd like to know

Well, I'd have to say that we were mostly looking in the far west end (shortpump/glen allen area), and couldn't find anything around $300k except town homes or condo's. (New construction anyways)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia