Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I am a country person and own land about 20 minutes from Abingdon where I hope to build and retire one day. But, if I did decide to live in town, it would be in Abindgon. There are some cute homes in town, within walking distance of most of the shops, and a very nice hospital too. Check Realtor.com ...type in Abingdon, your price range, number of bedrooms, etc. and you'll get over one hundred homes to choose from. I found 2 really cute brick Cape Cod bungalows for around $200,000 the other day.

I have family in the area so I have become pretty familiar with the town and love it even more every time I visit. If I move there (or build on my land) I will probably teach part-time at a local college or do something with the arts or my writing.

jmarquise, what is your educational background or work experience? That information would give people more to go on in helping you to find employment. Good luck!

My gosh, you sound like me. I live in Murfreesboro right now. It's okay but not very sophisticated or charming..I am originally from CT and miss those wonderful historic towns throughout the state. Most small towns around here are dirt poor and depressing where the dregs of society wander around on medication. A few nice shops and restaurants - that's about it...
I was told Lexington KY is pretty nice. Have you found anymore out about Abington?

Doesn't seem to have a big selection of housing! 12buttons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I have one question for those of you that know Abingdon: Why is there so much traffic on the main street - large trucks, etc.? We found the main street almost scary because of the amount of fast moving large trucks and cars.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
jhs

2 posts, read 21,141 times
Default Questions About Abingdon VA

Yes, Abingdon welcomes everyone. Residents are a blend of folks from all over the USA and several foreign countries which makes Abingdon interesting. See URL for lots of info: <//www.city-data.com/city/Abingdon-Virginia.html>
Regarding the traffic - Abingdon was incorporated in 1778. When the highways were built, US 11, (Main Street) was routed through the center of town. There are several traffic lights with wheel chair accessible cross walks along Main Street. The speed limit is 25 miles per hour in town. Please be careful, as traffic can be heavy during the summer tourist season and when festivals and other special activities are being held. From Interstae Highway I-81 are 3 exits (#14, #17, #19).

For additional information please refer to a copy of email (below) written directly to a forum member:

Assume you checked out the attachment in my early posting. You ask about retiring in Abingdon. Many folks retire in Abingdon and stay busy. Actually the Spring College for Older Adults is starting in April. See <http://www.swcenter.edu/content/press.asp?PressID=136> as there are many interesting things to choose from. Regarding healthcare see the website of Johnston Memorial Hospital >http://jmh.org/>. There is a list of physicians of many medical disciplines who have admitting privileges at the hospital. The hospital welcomes volunteers and auxiliary members. Johnston Memorial Hospital is going to build a new hospital at Interstate 81 Exit 22. You can vies the Washington County News "weekly" paper on line <http://www.swvatoday.com/section_front/category/wcn_news/> to learn what's going on in the area, and review job listing and real estate for sale. Review the website for the daily newspaper @ <http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/home.html>. At the URL below you can view video of
<http://www.tricitiesblogs.com/grassroutes/comments/grassroutes_a_look_at_abingdon/>
On the right side of the same page as the video click on the titles of articles: downtown antiquing, moonlight theater, etc. Regarding property for sale, look in the classified ads of the on-line newspapers, Also to view property for sale on line, see >http://www.realtor.com/> and enter the zip code 24210 and 24211. The realtor I used is Ken Johnson @ <http://www.meaderealty.com/> and had furniture transported by Gregory Movers Inc, Abingdon.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 AM

15 posts, read 74,707 times
Abingdon is the sweet spot of the south. Still a small town but plenty of big town stuff and right on the edge of being country still.

Hard to beat it.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhatter View Post
Abingdon is the sweet spot of the south. Still a small town but plenty of big town stuff and right on the edge of being country still.

Hard to beat it.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 AM

5 posts, read 28,222 times
Abingdon is a small town with big town charm, Most of the Resturants are locally owned, no Wal-Mart has antique stores, they have alot of fesitivals during the summer, Real Estate just depends on where you look and what you are looking for, it tends to be less expensive outside of the city and you get more house and land.

There is a Industrial park not far from Abingdon and old 11e is what they use to travel on and the interstate will not take you to a place called Damascus, which by the way has great camping cabins on the river that can be rented too.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 AM

Lots of good stuff there for sure. The little resturant that Emmit Yeary owns that has been there since the 1700's and has served folks from antiquity. PJ Browns and the Hardware Comapany and Martha Washington inn. Lots of history and historical stuff. The old whites mill that I have eaten many a piece of cornbread where the corn was ground there.

Virginia Creeper trail and much much more. All near tri city and the air port and just a good place to be in general. Damascus has a chesnut farm where the "extinct" Chestnut trees are being brought back to life. Opps I think that is in Glade Springs or Meadowveiw but in that area anyway. Regardless it is of the premium places in Southwest VA for sure. Right off 81 and right close to every thing else from NC, WV, TN and KY to Malls and mushrooms hunts.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I have one question for those of you that know Abingdon: Why is there so much traffic on the main street - large trucks, etc.? We found the main street almost scary because of the amount of fast moving large trucks and cars.
Not sure if this was answered or not.

Abingdon, originally had 11 or Lee Hwy right through the middle and that was a main hwy to get to the city beyond.

Being a historic town as well it was not a planned community and the street system is a bit hectic.

You generally do not have to drive the main drags however to get around and a street below or above, works just as well as the main one but less conjested.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

181 posts, read 692,526 times
Cattknap - Let me see if I can take a stab at your traffic question. First I will say you think it's bad now you should have seen it before I-81 was built. I am surprised you noticed a lot of truck traffic. I don't when I am there. The only ones that really have a need for being there is to make local deliveries. Lastly, in the summer months there are a lot of tourists in the area and all they know is to use Main St. and it can be very crowded but I would not call it fast traffic. You can go almost from one end of the town to the other and not be on Main St. or the Interstate if you know the area.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 52,808 times
Hi, I'm 43, married w/ 1 child, we just moved to Abingdon last year from southern New England. I just wanted to say we have no regrets about our decision. The job market is a little tight right now, but no worse than up north, just less of everything to choose from. The schools are excellent, the pace of life is slower, a definite plus in my opinion, the scenery is beautiful, and the people welcoming and friendly. They have a hospital in town which I visited once and was in and out in an hour, Bristol is 10 minutes down the road with all the shopping,movies, and restaurants you could wish for. Damascus is about 25 minutes away with all the outdoor recreation you can imagine. Taxes are low and the winters mild, the summer gets a little hot, but not overly humid as on the coast. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me, I'm posting this as I would have liked to have someone available for questions when we moved and would like to offer that option to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia