Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM

20 posts, read 27,900 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'd like to get some opinions from folks who either [1] looked at, [2] lived in, [3] know someone who lives/lived in, etc., a 55+ community [NOT an 'assisted-living' facility] anywhere in VA. I just took a peek at the 'D-W' website and see that they have two such communities in VA. Of course, they look nice in the photos but I'd like to "hear the real story." Thanks in advance! --- w-t-r-w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Are you specifically looking at DW communities or is that just an example. What price range are you looking at, mountains, shore, can you provide some more information other than 55+

Old 06-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are you specifically looking at DW communities or is that just an example. What price range are you looking at, mountains, shore, can you provide some more information other than 55+
VA Yankee: No, not just DW -- any 55+ community would be considered. We'd like to bank as much as we can from the sale of our house; so we'd like to stay under $350K (maybe 400 at the most). We're sort of leaning towards the mountains but, if something really compelling pops up closer to the shore, we would certainly take a peek. (It wouldn't have to be right on the shore; we'd actually prefer it to NOT be that close.) Other preferences (in no particular order): something of a yard and/or view, one-floor, 3 BR, 2 BA, 1C garage or parking spot, low fees. Don't really need tennis courts, golf, etc. (although we'd probably make make use of a pool if one is available). A walkable neighborhood would be great. Would prefer to not have to drive more than 20-30 minutes to get to a grocery store, restaurants, shopping, etc. Townhouse or apartment-building would be OK with me but, as my wife likes to do some light gardening (flowers, etc.), she'd prefer a place where that would be possible/allowed. Thanks to all in advance who can provide some guidance! --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by were-to-retire-wolf View Post
VA Yankee: No, not just DW -- any 55+ community would be considered..... Other preferences (in no particular order): something of a yard and/or view, one-floor, 3 BR, 2 BA, 1C garage or parking spot, low fees. Don't really need tennis courts, golf, etc. (although we'd probably make make use of a pool if one is available). A walkable neighborhood would be great.....
I have been research 55+ communities in Virginia, but don't live in one. I hope my research is useful.

It sounds like you really would not want the amenities that a D-W community offers, as they are not cheap. There are many other smaller communities in Richmond, Fredericksburg and Chesterfield County that would suit your requirements better. Braxton in Richmond is one example. Let me know if you want the rest of my list, and I'll locate the names.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been research 55+ communities in Virginia, but don't live in one. I hope my research is useful.

It sounds like you really would not want the amenities that a D-W community offers, as they are not cheap. There are many other smaller communities in Richmond, Fredericksburg and Chesterfield County that would suit your requirements better. Braxton in Richmond is one example. Let me know if you want the rest of my list, and I'll locate the names.
goldenage1: Thanks for the reply. I'm still in the very early stages of retirement planning and haven't really delved too far into the various pros, cons, costs, etc. of 55+ communities. I'd very much like to hear what you've found in your research! Thanks again! --- wt-t-r-w

Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by were-to-retire-wolf View Post
goldenage1: Thanks for the reply. I'm still in the very early stages of retirement planning and haven't really delved too far into the various pros, cons, costs, etc. of 55+ communities. I'd very much like to hear what you've found in your research! Thanks again! --- wt-t-r-w
There is no perfect answer, and we are not currently in a 55+ community. I was working with a smaller budget than you and was hoping to find a condo, but here are some I like.

1. Settlers Ridge in south-east Richmond has minimal amenities except for a clubhouse and indoor-pool.

2. Colonial Heritage in Williamburg has lots of amenities, golf, pools, etc. Single family homes have an HOA fee around $250. They also have master on first-floor townhomes where they do yard maintenance for a fee.

3. D-W at Falls Run in Fredericksburg has townhomes. The HOA fee is $165/month, and their condo fee is $220 to cover yard maintenance. The single family homes don’t charge the condo fee, but you are responsible for yard maintenance. Thus, I think you would be able to garden on your land.

4. There is a Hovnanian community near Charlottesville, but the houses are so packed together, I did not care for it.

5. I had also mention Braxton in in South Richmond. It is an existing gated community with brick single family homes. You can walk around the community pond. I really like it but resales are rarely available.

6. I was concentrating on Richmond, and found several more at 55places.net. They are mostly new home communities which tend to be more expensive. The ones in your price range include: The Villas at Dogwood Lakes in Chesterfield, Crossridge in west end Richmond, Coolwell in Mechanicsville, and several more I thought less interesting.

7. Northern Virginia is way too expensive for me, and there are few 55+ communities in the mountains. We looked at a house on Smith Mountain Lake, but thought the slopes would be too steep to walk on in winter.

Best wishes on your new journey.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 AM

439 posts, read 425,639 times
Thanks goldenage1. We are looking as well. Toured Colonial Heritage and also looked at the Settlement Landing in Williamsburg. We also stopped by New Kent Four Seasons. Liked the homes but it seems as if we would have to do everything in Richmond. We saw a grocery store and Dollar store. Maybe we need to explore more. There is a lovely winery there. It's a tough decision.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
We also stopped by New Kent Four Seasons. Liked the homes but it seems as if we would have to do everything in Richmond. We saw a grocery store and Dollar store.
I agree that New Kent is remote. I am thinking one needs to consider two sets of options: one for the active retirement years, and one for the years over 80 when one might not be able to drive, or when one is widowed and can't mow the lawn or clean gutters.

We are in the active years now, but I am looking more at a second move into a condo for the later years.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 PM

150 posts, read 219,211 times
Colonial Williamsburg seems to be an ideal place for retirees.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:29 AM

95 posts, read 189,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Colonial Williamsburg seems to be an ideal place for retirees.
Colonial *Heritage*, is where we have lived since 2005. It is a 55+ community about 8 miles from Colonial Williamsburg, so you're not in the downtown, tourist, William&Mary, and high traffic area. Maintenance fees are pretty high, BUT, you get more for it, in an IDEAL location than ANY other development that we've seen! We looked at a good 2 dozen, in 5 states before deciding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0Gbn1fF2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQaNJtZ1io

Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 08-08-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia