Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 05:58 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgGnW6OZ7gs

I came across this video.

What do you all think about the places mentioned? Do you agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 01:53 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
While he is an irritating fellow he's not wrong. Nothing new here. Crime stats and low rated schools are the norm in these places and it's the main reason I do not recommend these towns/cities to those looking to move.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:40 AM

396 posts, read 417,863 times
As I stated on the Roanoke Page:

Nick Johnson is a serial Youtuber who creates these "lists" videos (best places, worst places, etc). He's a no-nothing who seeks clicks. Half the footage used in his videos aren't even accurate (talking about Roanoke, showing footage of Asheville, as an example). He sources Wikipedia for his "facts". He's lazy in his craft and should be avoided.

Tip: Anytime you seek "best of" or :worst of" info on Youtube, it will be from one of these kinds of creators, or from realtors; neither of whom will give you accurate info.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:16 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Burrito puts the right perspective on these types of 'reports. This journalist can't even get the poverty income level right for a family of 4.....

Nothing new here.... IMHO, this reflects is the mindset of, if it is not rich and upscale and trendy, then it is no good. According to this, I should not ever live in SW or southside VA but in Richmond or NoVa or C'ville. No thanks! Every one of these so-called bottom 10 has good areas around these towns. And like any rural area (except for Newport News) you need to think ahead about how you are going to make a living; jobs are just more limited.

Then there is the question of ranking stats.... These 'ranking' stats, like school quality are based on what? SAT scores? Standardized test results? Newer buildings? They are all questionable..... according to the 'stats', a place that is crowded and has endless rush hour traffic and shopping malls is the best place to live.... really? LOL

But hey, these do one thing good IMHO... they drive many people to the big cities and away from where I want to live. Fine by me.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
I mean some places have to come in last I guess.
I do not agree with Newport News though. That city has really beautified and grown over the last few decades. The Oyster Point area can go toe to toe with any higher end suburb in the state.
Downtown is still “bad news” but the news isn’t as bad as it was ten years ago.

Old Towne Portsmouth is a very desirable location too. Portsmouth may have a sluggish job market but let’s not pretend that you can’t get to a better job market 10 miles in any direction.

The small towns are the worst (relative to the best) because there isn’t all that much opportunity in a 10,20,40 mile radius. Petersburg, Portsmouth and Newport News are near opportunity (and in NN’s case the opportunity is within the city limits).

BTW, Roanoke looks amazing. I’m surprised to see it on any “worst” list.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:21 AM

6,363 posts, read 4,190,693 times
If Roanoke is such a bad area and one to avoid, why are there no houses for sale and the potential buyers are looking to move here for the abundance of outdoor activities and medical positions in this area that has been growing exponentially?

There are pockets of bad areas in all cities, areas that are poverty stricken and where you usually find crime and drugs. There is nowhere in the Roanoke area that I would feel unsafe during the day and that’s very different from sections in NY and NJ where I’ve lived and worked prior to moving to SW Virginia.

Just another attempt to pull things out of context for the sake of sensationalism, IMO!

Old 06-15-2021, 01:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,658,207 times
1.5 stars

Old 06-15-2021, 02:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
I am fairly certain his Roanoke feature is for the city and not the county. The city is of course older and has had its fair share of crime and issues. But many of the places he listed were spot on with the issues with their crime rates and schools. But he is an irritating type of guy.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
I agree. The stats don’t look good for any of these places... but there is other criteria by which some of these locations excel (Roanoke, Newport News, Portsmouth).

Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Newport News may have its problems, but it has lots of big stores/malls. It has employment opportunities and amenities. From the surface, it looks like a more transient population - armed forces, students, recent college graduates, etc.

I don't think it's that bad. I lived in NYC so I know iffy neighborhoods and I've never felt afraid shopping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia