Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 07:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I'd say removing someone's grave facilitates erasing their memory. And what the city of Richmond did with Hill was (ghoulish) grave desecration.

If you're ok with digging up Confederate graves & destroying historical statues.. fair enough.
But it's gaslighting when u pretend like removing memorials and statues isn't erasing history. Removing historical markers and statues fits the literal definition of erasing. (peace)
Featuring them in a permanent exhibit does not fit the literal definition of erasing.

Nowhere did I say I was “ok with digging up graves & destroying historical statues”.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:58 AM

172 posts, read 119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Well he might not have been a racist horse, but that a horse was chosen shows how far down they were reaching for the Lost Cause.

More than half the people living in Virginia were not born here, add to that the descendants of slaves, those who take a critical look at the Confederacy and the leaders it had, both civilian and military, its surprising they are still up. The chance to put them "in context" has passed as the iconography of the Confederacy has been adopted extremist groups.

This is the wrong way to look at it but I'll appreciate that you are more nuanced than some. Confederate iconography has been co-opted -- even you pointed out the statement by the daughters of the Confederacy -- and it's no different than when someone flies an American flag in an immigrant's face and tells them to go back to their own country. That's not what the American flag represents and nazism is not what the Confederate flag represents either. You can't control how others will use symbols and such.

The Left today is even against the American Flag...and they burn it at their protests. Nothing is sacred anymore.

The statues, burial sites and memorials are history. To say otherwise is foolish. Do you think, say, Cyrus the Great's tomb in Iran is not history too? What about the statues and memorials to the old Persian Empire -- are they no longer worthy of being protected now that the Islamic Republic has taken over?

We need to recognize our past as a country. Tearing stuff down because we don't like it is barbaric.

Last edited by VA Outdoorsman; 07-20-2023 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 07:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
as the iconography of the Confederacy has been adopted extremist groups.
The last sentence in your post above sure is true. Extremist groups have given the Flag and History a negative image for many years now, but more so lately. That and crazy people like Dylann Roof and others out there carrying out their evilness.

It wasn't that long ago that if you went to historic places like Gettysburg for example, in the gifts shops there were both US and Confederate Flags to buy. And it was no big deal.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:31 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I'd say removing someone's grave facilitates erasing their memory. And what the city of Richmond did with Hill was (ghoulish) grave desecration.

If you're ok with digging up Confederate graves & destroying historical statues.. fair enough.
But it's gaslighting when u pretend like removing memorials and statues isn't erasing history. Removing historical markers and statues fits the literal definition of erasing. (peace)
Well, in my town (Fredericksburg, we still have the Confederate Cemetery where the graves are honored. We also have Confederate monuments as well. We even have a Confederate Pyramid! However, Jefferson Davis Hwy. was changed to Emancipation Hwy. a few years ago. Big deal.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:56 AM

6,019 posts, read 2,843,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
We need to recognize our past as a country. Tearing stuff down because we don't like it is barbaric.
It's no different than what ISIS did....

As I heard from some people when Boston, Massachusetts put up that horrific statue that's supposed to honor Martin Luther King Jr., "If you don't like it, don't look at it.".... I guess that doesn't apply to Confederate statues, or any other history those people may not like....

Old 07-20-2023, 11:28 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
The statues were used to promulgate a narrative which ignored the reality of the era. Virginia was not united in its fight. Many chose to stay loyal to the Union, there were even Virginians who were Union generals. They ignore the rampant desertion rate - by 1864 half of the soldiers on the regimental army lists were absent, Lee lamented hundreds a night were deserting in 1864 from the Army of Northern Virginia; where do these statutes teach about the bread riots, the stopping of army trains by civilians for food? Where do they teach that the only way the Davis government could control Virginia was through martial law? Where do they teach about counties leaving VA to form WV. It ignored the horrors of slavery.

Had these things been part of the narrative, then perhaps the statues could have been saved, but what they were displaying was not history. It's too late.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
They ignore the rampant desertion rate - by 1864 half of the soldiers on the regimental army lists were absent, Lee lamented hundreds a night were deserting in 1864 from the Army of Northern Virginia
We would sure like to see some proof of that. Do you have any links to provide? In general, there were many absent but for legitimate reasons. Separated from their units, sick, wounded and ended up in infirmaries, etc, only to later to be re-united. I have studied that history and read where most of the absentees were only short periods of time.

Quote:
where do these statutes teach about the bread riots, the stopping of army trains by civilians for food?
Need more links.

Not really sure what you are referring to there, but if you want to talk about food shortages, medical supplies and other disruptions, I hope you realize that the Union Army did most of it. They burnt bridges, warehouses, mills, torn up rails, stole what they needed and trampled what they left behind.

The Confederate Army as well as brave Civilians did the best they could to stop it.

Quote:
Where do they teach that the only way the Davis government could control Virginia was through martial law?
In the whole state? Need more links.

Quote:
Where do they teach about counties leaving VA to form WV.
In History Books. That's one thing that was taught pretty accurate.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:48 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
For a starter on desertion rates: https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...2012%20percent. https://cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/ex...e-to-desertion

Others can delve further into Lee's correspondence on the issue and other Confederate generals. General Order #8 was issued by Lee on March 27, 1865. Even joking about desertion was punishable by death.

For a starter on bread riots:https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...riot-richmond/

Martial law was declared in Richmond, Henrico and other counties by Jefferson Davis on March 2, 1862. This was later extended statewide.

For more read: John Minor Botts' memoirs, The Great Rebellion: Its Secret History, Rise, Progress, and Disastrous Failure . (1866). It is still in print.

Last edited by webster; 07-20-2023 at 01:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Appreciate that link. Will read it as time allows. But one line did get my attention:

both the Union and Confederate armies were plagued by deserters

Old 07-20-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The Bread riots was because of the devastation of the war by the Union. Do you really believe there would be riots like that if there was never a war?

I'm wondering whose point you are starting to make. Yours or mine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia