Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,409,159 times

Advertisements

Here is the Code of Virginia as it did read:

2019 Code of Virginia
Title 15.2 - Counties, Cities and Towns
Chapter 18 - Buildings, Monuments and Lands Generally
§ 15.2-1812. Memorials for war veterans
Universal Citation: VA Code § 15.2-1812 (2019)
A locality may, within the geographical limits of the locality, authorize and permit the erection of monuments or memorials for any war or conflict, or for any engagement of such war or conflict, to include the following monuments or memorials: Algonquin (1622), French and Indian (1754-1763), Revolutionary (1775-1783), War of 1812 (1812-1815), Mexican (1846-1848), Confederate or Union monuments or memorials of the War Between the States (1861-1865), Spanish-American (1898), World War I (1917-1918), World War II (1941-1945), Korean (1950-1953), Vietnam (1965-1973), Operation Desert Shield-Desert Storm (1990-1991), Global War on Terrorism (2000- ), Operation Enduring Freedom (2001- ), and Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003- ). If such are erected, it shall be unlawful for the authorities of the locality, or any other person or persons, to disturb or interfere with any monuments or memorials so erected, or to prevent its citizens from taking proper measures and exercising proper means for the protection, preservation and care of same. For purposes of this section, "disturb or interfere with" includes removal of, damaging or defacing monuments or memorials, or, in the case of the War Between the States, the placement of Union markings or monuments on previously designated Confederate memorials or the placement of Confederate markings or monuments on previously designated Union memorials.

The governing body may appropriate a sufficient sum of money out of its funds to complete or aid in the erection of monuments or memorials to the veterans of such wars. The governing body may also make a special levy to raise the money necessary for the erection or completion of any such monuments or memorials, or to supplement the funds already raised or that may be raised by private persons, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion or other organizations. It may also appropriate, out of any funds of such locality, a sufficient sum of money to permanently care for, protect and preserve such monuments or memorials and may expend the same thereafter as other funds are expended.

Code 1950, § 15-696; 1962, c. 623, § 15.1-270; 1982, c. 19; 1988, c. 284; 1997, c. 587; 1998, c. 752; 2005, c. 390; 2010, c. 860.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:35 AM

172 posts, read 120,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
You're lying. The articles and ordinances of secession from the various rebel states, including Virginia's, specifically cited maintaining slavery as the reason for leaving the union. Have you ever read the Confederate Constitution? It specifically mentions preserving slavery 9 times, particularly Article IV, Sec. 3. of it.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_csa.asp

This topic is about what's happening today, not what transpired 162 plus years ago or the conditions that led up to it.

What's happening today is that Virginia-specific statues, grave markers, actual burial sites, tombstones, street names, etc., are all being erased from the annuls of history without regard to the practical and historical reasons for why they first went up. Division and hate is what our leaders are trying to sow. It's as clear as day. No, we shouldn't fall for it but we should push back on them for tearing down history by speaking up.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:22 PM

OK, digging into this deeper, the law didn't change. They just voted it in to add something to it. If a city or county puts it up for a vote and the public votes it in, they now have the option of removing a statue or monument in that city or county. But if a city or county does not put it up for vote or if they do and it does not pass, the statues and monuments stay and are protected by Virginia law just as they were before.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:36 PM

172 posts, read 120,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
OK, digging into this deeper, the law didn't change. They just voted it in to add something to it. If a city or county puts it up for a vote and the public votes it in, they now have the option of removing a statue or monument in that city or county. But if a city or county does not put it up for vote or if they do and it does not pass, the statues and monuments stay and are protected by Virginia law just as they were before.

What the leaders of Richmond City did was illegal then. The city never put the monuments up for a vote. The last tyrant Governor Northam somehow deeded the monuments to the city, previously under state control, and Mayor Phoney removed them unilaterally.

There must've been some political favors/exonerations exchanged and deals behind the scenes that we simple peons know little to nothing about.

Digging up the grave of A.P. Hill was a new low though. Can't say I'm surprised by a lot of things the left does today but that had me shocked.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
What the leaders of Richmond City did was illegal then. The city never put the monuments up for a vote. The last tyrant Governor Northam somehow deeded the monuments to the city, previously under state control, and Mayor Phoney removed them unilaterally.

There must've been some political favors/exonerations exchanged and deals behind the scenes that we simple peons know little to nothing about.

Digging up the grave of A.P. Hill was a new low though. Can't say I'm surprised by a lot of things the left does today but that had me shocked.
I wouldn't doubt it. I sure didn't like a lot of what went on there, including letting the protestors vandalize while they were still protected by state law. I know there was a lot of opposition to it, but wish the Sons of Confederate Veterans got more behind it.

Northam, I could sure give my opinion on him, but I'm sure it would be frown upon by the mods. I will say that I'm glad both him and McAuliffe are gone.

Richmond, the former Capital of the Confederacy, with tons of history all around it.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:52 PM

15,514 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post

A P Hill was a traitor, plain and simple. He took up arms against the United States. He should not be idolized or given the benefit of a public monument.

The Virginia Legislature passed a law allowing cities to move monuments. https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...201+sum+HB1537

Old 07-19-2023, 02:37 PM

192 posts, read 155,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How is history being erased? From the article:

The June 16 Columns post says that the two Traveller plaques as well as two other removed plaques will be featured in a permanent, upcoming exhibit titled “The Power of Memory: Remembering Robert E. Lee[,]” which will be located in Lee Chapel, National Historic Landmark.
Forget it. You can't talk facts with these people. All they do is bleat "WOKE!! WOKE!! WOKE!!" over and over, as if they had any idea of what they actually think they mean by that word.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:57 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,529,018 times
The statues do not teach history, they are not history; they commemorate individuals and celebrate a false narrative of the past. The Confederacy was not some noble experiment or effort, and they intentionally ignore the evils of slavery. Most were put up in the heyday of Jim Crow and lynching and the final disenfranchisement of blacks in VA with the Virginia Constitution of 1902.

What do the statues teach people about those who remained loyal to the Union? What do they teach people about the Constitution of 1902? What do they teach about the Bristoe Campaign? Lee had just been defeated at Gettysburg, a disaster, and then sent his men, many without shoes, blankets and food - the Quartermaster General warned Lee - but Lee sent those boys anyway to die.

Last edited by webster; 07-19-2023 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2023, 04:02 PM

20,165 posts, read 9,069,121 times
Traveller was a racist horse, he had to go.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,529,018 times
Well he might not have been a racist horse, but that a horse was chosen shows how far down they were reaching for the Lost Cause.

More than half the people living in Virginia were not born here, add to that the descendants of slaves, those who take a critical look at the Confederacy and the leaders it had, both civilian and military, its surprising they are still up. The chance to put them "in context" has passed as the iconography of the Confederacy has been adopted extremist groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia