Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 07:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Why can't southern states be proud about things other than the Civil War?
We are, very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Why cling to the past?
It's History.

Civil War Heritage is honored here. I've written in the pages prior on how Lincoln invaded Virginia in July of 1861 with Violence. Brave soldiers met them to defend their territory. Many lives were lost. I've also wrote on how the Union devastated Innocent Citizens just because they had the wrong address. Many soldiers died trying to stop that. You all need to realize that about 90% of the war was the North invading the South. Most of that was fought in Virginia. Virginia was always on the defense, very little on the offense.

Again, I am not against the efforts made to stop Slavery. What I am against is how. There had to be a better way than to cost over 620,000 lives. On both sides.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:36 AM

1,023 posts, read 914,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
We are, very much so.

It's History.

Civil War Heritage is honored here. I've written in the pages prior on how Lincoln invaded Virginia in July of 1861 with Violence. Brave soldiers met them to defend their territory. Many lives were lost. I've also wrote on how the Union devastated Innocent Citizens just because they had the wrong address. Many soldiers died trying to stop that. You all need to realize that about 90% of the war was the North invading the South. Most of that was fought in Virginia. Virginia was always on the defense, very little on the offense.

Again, I am not against the efforts made to stop Slavery. What I am against is how. There had to be a better way than to cost over 620,000 lives. On both sides.
More than a million enslaved Africans died just on the trips to America. Half of all enslaved infants died within their first year of life. Your stance on Virginia joining the war is that violence begets violence. Does that not apply to ending slavery? I'm sure it would have been great for you to pontificate on more constructive ways to end slavery but how does that help the person in servitude? "Just a little bit longer until we figure out a more constructive way to free you."

Old 07-21-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
More than a million enslaved Africans died just on the trips to America. Half of all enslaved infants died within their first year of life. Your stance on Virginia joining the war is that violence begets violence. Does that not apply to ending slavery? I'm sure it would have been great for you to pontificate on more constructive ways to end slavery but how does that help the person in servitude? "Just a little bit longer until we figure out a more constructive way to free you."
I hope you realize how many Slaves were located in the North. I hope you also realize that Slavery was Legal in the North. And remained Legal till December of 1865. Lincoln never even saw the day when it was Illegal in the North. I hope you also realize that multi-1000's of Slaves were brought in by Northern Ports. Rhode Island was a huge Slave Port. You talk about the violence in Virginia. How about all that violence in the North? By the way, most people out there do not even realize this, but at the time of Lincoln's invasion into Virginia, there were still over Six Figures of Slaves located in the North. Want proof? Just ask me to bring up the stats on that.

Again, Lincoln did not start the Invasion because Virginia had Slaves. Lincoln Invaded Virginia because they had Seceded from the Union.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I hope you realize how many Slaves were located in the North. I hope you also realize that Slavery was Legal in the North. And remained Legal till December of 1865. Lincoln never even saw the day when it was Illegal in the North. I hope you also realize that multi-1000's of Slaves were brought in by Northern Ports. Rhode Island was a huge Slave Port. You talk about the violence in Virginia. How about all that violence in the North? By the way, most people out there do not even realize this, but at the time of Lincoln's invasion into Virginia, there were still over Six Figures of Slaves located in the North. Want proof? Just ask me to bring up the stats on that.

Again, Lincoln did not start the Invasion because Virginia had Slaves. Lincoln Invaded Virginia because they had Seceded from the Union.
You did not answer my question at all. You stated that there was a better way to free the slaves. I asked if the slaves would have felt the same way. Your answer was that the North had slaves too.

To answer your question, there were over 400,000 slaves in the North in 1860, the bulk share being in Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky and West Virginia(over 200k in Kentucky alone). There were over 3 million in the south at that time. I am not sure how that answers my question, however.

http://civildiscourse-historyblog.co...2C%20415%2C510.
https://www.loc.gov/rr/geogmap/place...8_slavery.html

Old 07-21-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it would have been great for you to pontificate on more constructive ways to end slavery but how does that help the person in servitude? "Just a little bit longer until we figure out a more constructive way to free you."
Ah, ha. How can you be positive that an alternative way would not had been quicker? Four years was a long time. An alternative was just may just had brought it down to 2 or 3. The bottom line was, that no one even tried. Violence was the only way chosen.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
You did not answer my question at all. You stated that there was a better way to free the slaves. I asked if the slaves would have felt the same way. Your answer was that the North had slaves too.
We were both posting at the same time.

Not getting what you are getting at. If someone asked the slaves if there could be a good way to free them they may not had wanted to agree to that??

By the way, another thing many do not realize, many slaves also suffered from the Northern Aggression while the war was going on.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
We were both posting at the same time.

Not getting what you are getting at. If someone asked the slaves if there could be a good way to free them they may not had wanted to agree to that??

By the way, another thing many do not realize, many slaves also suffered from the Northern Aggression while the war was going on.
Same. What would have been the better way to free the slaves more quickly?

Old 07-21-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
To answer your question, there were over 400,000 slaves in the North in 1860, the bulk share being in Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky and West Virginia(over 200k in Kentucky alone). There were over 3 million in the south at that time. I am not sure how that answers my question, however.
Good research. That is correct.

Now, ask the question again. Clear and in more detail.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Good research. That is correct.

Now, ask the question again. Clear and in more detail.
Post #67

Old 07-21-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Same. What would have been the better way to free the slaves more quickly?
OK, now we are getting somewhere. There could be many different ways to tackle the problem, but two of mine would had been to First make Slavery Illegal in the United States. Lincoln should have had emergency sessions to make that Law. Then announce that if all territories do not release their slaves within say 90 days, they will be liberated one farm at a time. No violence. Now if the South fought with violence, then I could see the North retaliating. The other would be to squeeze the South economically on a global basis.

But here again is the complication. Do you realize that Lincoln stated early on that he was not after anyone's slaves?

And here again, Lincoln Invaded Virginia because they Seceded.

I'm going back to work now, lol. (I work for myself just in case anyone is concerned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia