Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,524,953 times

Advertisements

Well, just some general stuff, but VA used to be a lot more relaxed about people flying down the roads until they started noticing how many Virginians were getting killed in accidents caused by NY and NJ drivers doing something stupid at 90 mph. So they tried to tighten up enforcement and nothing much happened. So finally, they said, no! We're serious. Stop the speeding, or you'll catch the whole nine yards from us. And that's where we are today. And in general it seems to be having the desired effect. If the whole state gets a rep as one big giant speed trap, well, good!

The other thing is that it's-all-about-me thing. It isn't. It's about all of us, and you carry a responsibility for every one of us every time you get behind the wheel. Driving is a sport alright...a team sport, and every car out there with you is on your team, and the team wins when everyone gets where he's going with his car and himself still in one piece. I don't care how good your reflexes are or how keen your eyesight is or how much time behind the wheel you've had, anybody who is clocked at 62 in a 25 is putting all of his teammates at very serious risk. And we don't appreciate it. Go drive in Pennsylvania if you don't like it.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM

429 posts, read 1,867,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Sounds like someone got a ticket and is still bitter. They don't just make up things on the spot, mate. They actually have statistics and records for the reasoning behind the laws. What you consider reasonable, however, seems to be purely from personal standards without research or backup documentation.
Hey, the state of VA, the legislatures, all come from the backwards school "Tough on Crime" not "Smart on Crime."
They like to make unreasonable, uniform demands on people, then disguise it as public safety when actuality the officers serve little more than revenue solicitors.

It isn't about public safety, it's about Cops having nothing better to do, or being misallocated to get revenue instead of fighting crime.

I am so sick of the roads being backed up with traffic yet the ONE TIME of day there isn't grid lock and traffic is flowing you got Cops out in full force writting tickets.
Disagree all you want but don't make it like the Cops are out in these instances for a noble cause.

Roads are designed now adays to handle high speed, 72 in a 50 like on the Fairfax County Parkway is how the roads at various interchanges were designed, yet it's funny to see Cops there giving tickets like poor beggers at the local bank.
Pathetic.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, just some general stuff, but VA used to be a lot more relaxed about people flying down the roads until they started noticing how many Virginians were getting killed in accidents caused by NY and NJ drivers doing something stupid at 90 mph. So they tried to tighten up enforcement and nothing much happened. So finally, they said, no! We're serious. Stop the speeding, or you'll catch the whole nine yards from us. And that's where we are today. And in general it seems to be having the desired effect. If the whole state gets a rep as one big giant speed trap, well, good!

The other thing is that it's-all-about-me thing. It isn't. It's about all of us, and you carry a responsibility for every one of us every time you get behind the wheel. Driving is a sport alright...a team sport, and every car out there with you is on your team, and the team wins when everyone gets where he's going with his car and himself still in one piece. I don't care how good your reflexes are or how keen your eyesight is or how much time behind the wheel you've had, anybody who is clocked at 62 in a 25 is putting all of his teammates at very serious risk. And we don't appreciate it. Go drive in Pennsylvania if you don't like it.
Hey, going 90 is one thing.
Going 72 in a 50, or going at the speed of traffic, and to lump that in with 62 in a 25 is totaly outrageous, overeacting, and totaly the norm of this state of VA.

It would like classifying somebody who got into a shoving match with that of a murderer, but VA loves to do whatever it can to get $$$ and look tough on crime.
That's the VA I know.
Backwards state.
People like you who think 72 in a 50 should be classified under the law as 62 in a 25 probably are the same people who put that Vigil Gore in office.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,742,713 times
Have you ever wrecked a car before? I have. I was only going 45 in a 35 zone. Guess what happened? It totaled. Why? Because a small compact sedan going at 45 mph has a 99% chance of killing someone if they get hit. Now imagine going 70 in a 50 zone. I bet you won't be singing that same tune should you one day (knock on wood it doesn't happen) get into an wreck with injury and property damage as results.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 AM

267 posts, read 1,676,454 times
Speed limits aren't randomly set. They are set based on the location of the road, type of road, type of traffic, how many twists and turns, a great variety of reasons. The logic of 72 in a 50 zone not being the same as 62 in a 25 is both dangerous as well as illegal. It's still reckless driving for the road you happen to be on. And a 25mph road is almost always residential (sometimes commercial where there's lots of traffic) and that means drivers pulling out of their driveways and side roads and children playing so 25 is a speed that you can be aware of who is there and have plenty of time to stop. At 62 you can't! You can't justify ignoring the law just because you want to or think it's dumb. That isn't the drivers' decision.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Have you ever wrecked a car before? I have. I was only going 45 in a 35 zone. Guess what happened? It totaled. Why? Because a small compact sedan going at 45 mph has a 99% chance of killing someone if they get hit. Now imagine going 70 in a 50 zone. I bet you won't be singing that same tune should you one day (knock on wood it doesn't happen) get into an wreck with injury and property damage as results.
Usually in 50 mph zones or greater it forbids any pedestrains from being on the road, and on those freeways or high speed secondary roads pedestrains aren't there to begin with this is not residential roads or winde roads, these are roads designed for high speed and flow, and to categorize that as someone willfully intending to harm is a joke.
It makes a mockery of the whole system, keep listening to your FCPS brochure, they;re really looking out for our safety *cough* $$$$$$$$.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Speed limits aren't randomly set. They are set based on the location of the road, type of road, type of traffic, how many twists and turns, a great variety of reasons. The logic of 72 in a 50 zone not being the same as 62 in a 25 is both dangerous as well as illegal. It's still reckless driving for the road you happen to be on. And a 25mph road is almost always residential (sometimes commercial where there's lots of traffic) and that means drivers pulling out of their driveways and side roads and children playing so 25 is a speed that you can be aware of who is there and have plenty of time to stop. At 62 you can't! You can't justify ignoring the law just because you want to or think it's dumb. That isn't the drivers' decision.
I wasn't talking 25 mph but 50 mph, and many times roads are designed and perfectly given time of day for that speed, they are engineered to do so, but the state sets lower speeds limits to "trap" get $$$$$ and look productive.
Don't want to believe, want to think the Cops are so noble, fine, I think I found some WMD's in Iraq as well.

Further to lump people going 20 mph as reckless with intent to harm, like someobody with a gun, is absurd overeaction, and dops like you let them get away with it as you ignorantly believe this is a noble cause, it isn't.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,742,713 times
You can argue all you want but at least don't throw red herrings like WMDs into the argument. So you got a ticket and you had to pay and now you're bitter. Wait till you get hit by someone someday because they thought they were above the law and people were just out to get them. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You can argue all you want but at least don't throw red herrings like WMDs into the argument. So you got a ticket and you had to pay and now you're bitter. Wait till you get hit by someone someday because they thought they were above the law and people were just out to get them. Good luck!
That's the same ceaseless expression as "wait until Osama strikes down your house"
Going 72 in a 50 mph zone that is designed for high speeds, that is flowing EXACTLY like people want during rush hour IS NOT RECKLESS.
If you want to lump it with the others, go ahead, but it's just as ignorant and the 'red herring' you claim.
What is on the books for breaking the law, what is enforced, and how the law is classified in this backwards makes a total mockery of everything law enforcement is supposed to be.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM

37 posts, read 152,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter View Post
The trooper clocked me at 62, 37 over the 25 limit (The hill and straight away aren't good excuses for what I did either). This is my first time offense so I don't really know what to expect. I had planned on pleaing guilty since I don't stand much of a chance, but do I need a lawyer? I've researched this very thoroughly and most people say to hire a lawyer to get the reduction of charge. Could anybody give me some advice as to what I should do and what I should expect in court and penalties (I've read all kinds of different possible penalties).

Thanks,

Bill

Find out which judge is in traffic court on your day and time. Is there an ADA doing traffic charges? if so call or go see the ADA and plead your case. If you can win the ADA over - he/she can recommend a lesser charge to the judge. Most ADA's will tell you if you need a lawyer. If you were really coming down a hill - its in your favor that you lost sight of your speed limit momentarily. It happens.

Call a few traffic attorneys and ask about the manner in which this judge gives out sentences. Also get their fee estimate in case you need to be defended.

Then see if your age, traffic record and driving experience are in your favor. Could you speak in court and plead for leniency? Are you the nervous type?

Plead "no contest" if its an option. Beg for Traffic school - which is a deferred judgement. However, since this is reckless driving - beg for a lesser speeding charge. It will not hurt to plead for traffic school, which would be the best outcome for you. On the off chance that the judge is feeling generous. :-)

IF you are sure you can speak well (legal language is not needed) and can make the judge see your remorse you have a chance. Otherwise, get a lawyer.

Remember its easier to defend the first offense.

As I was telling someone else on this forum: Be Polite, Dress well and SHOW remorse. Show that you are a law abiding citizen caught having a lapse in judgement in controlling your car. As long as its not a habit - we all make mistakes.

If you can come back to the forum and tell us what happened. So others can learn from you.
Be safe! and Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia