Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,189 times

Advertisements

The trooper clocked me at 62, 37 over the 25 limit (The hill and straight away aren't good excuses for what I did either). This is my first time offense so I don't really know what to expect. I had planned on pleaing guilty since I don't stand much of a chance, but do I need a lawyer? I've researched this very thoroughly and most people say to hire a lawyer to get the reduction of charge. Could anybody give me some advice as to what I should do and what I should expect in court and penalties (I've read all kinds of different possible penalties).

Thanks,

Bill

Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,744,393 times
37 over the speed limit is considered reckless driving, which I believe is a criminal offense in VA. The lawyer fee will be much less than what your insurance will have you paying out of your bottom in the future for such a record. Get the lawyer swiftly so they can drop it down from reckless to just speeding.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,910,732 times
get a lawyer.
going that fast in a 25 zone I doubt you'll get much of a reduction. It had to be a residential area. Big difference than freeway speeding! Be glad some kid didn't decided to cross the street.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,676,787 times
That is definitely reckless which is crimminal and it will raise your insurance as well. 25 mph is almost always residential. I'm amazed at how many posts I've seen today by people who don't just have speeding tickets, but reckless driving ones.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,532,411 times
Maximum penalties for a reckless conviction in Virginia are set by law -- up to 12 months in jail, up to a $2,500 fine, and up to six months' loss of license. Your car may also be impounded. Your insurance rates will increase noticably. This is a criminal conviction. It will stay on your record for a minimum of 11 years. It will limit your abilty to obtain or hold jobs, credit, and various social benefits (such as student loans) if you should come to apply for them. Bad business, all of it. You DO NOT want to go there. Spend the money now and get a lawyer. It will be somewhat expensive and still be some of the best money you will ever spend. The court date given to you, by the way, is mandatory. You (or counsel) must appear. If you do not, a warrant WILL be issued for your arrest, the police WILL come looking for you, and they WILL cuff and arrest you on the spot when they find you. The clear majority of first-time offenders sees these charges bargained down to something much more manageable, but only if you have representation. Again -- get a lawyer, preferably one in the area who is experienced with this work. They know the judges and the prosecutors and can get you the best deal possible under the circumstances. It will be a couple of months of hassle, and it will cost you a couple of thousand bucks. That's the best case scenario. That's what you're hoping will happen...with a decent lawyer, it very likely will...

(PS. I'm not a lawyer.)

Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 PM

102 posts, read 406,865 times
I work for an auto insurer.
Hire a lawyer and push hard for the reduction in the category of infraction. From reckless to speeding. Remember, it stays on your record for a number of years, so any other infraction will be seen by the officer pulling you over if you have another. Also, the points will stay on your record for the insurance companies for anywhere from 3-7 yrs depending on the insurer.
It's much better to pay up front for representation and fines than to have the category on your record for a number of years.
Good luck. Remember, in many times in life, we need to fork out money and pay the professionals to do their job. (mine is paying for auto mechanics- I don't have a clue!)

Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 32,541 times
I agree...hire a lawyer. My husband was stopped for doing 85 in a 45 a few years ago (on a deserted road, but still no excuse!), and he hired a lawyer for his court date. He ended up having to pay some hefty fines, but the lawyer kept him out of any other trouble with them.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 PM

429 posts, read 1,867,605 times
Let me say, this is why I hate the state of Virginia, and why I would never fight for my country.

The stink VA makes over driving is outrageous both to the state and country.
What is worse is how hypocritical and holyier than sh*t both cops, judges, and some people tend to be in these instances with "Well you broke the law, you shouldn't have been going over the speed limit, somebody could have been hurt."

If you are going 70 in a neighborhood, than yes, you broke the law and endangered others.
If you did this with the pure intent to injury others as you would in taking a gun and shooting than yes it is a weapon to harm and should be taken away.

However the far majority of time speeders are simply on the freeway or a similarly high capacity high speed designed road going at the rate of traffic.

It's one thing to classify "gunning" down people in cars or playing "race" on the freeway but it's quite another for somebody going 75 in a 55 on a highway, 72 on a 50 like the Fairfax County Parkway as a public safety hazard and somebody who is a bad risk to the public.

PUHLEASE.
Roads were DESIGNED to handle high speeds to allow them to flow and not get gridlocked.
These same people whi b*tch about traffic and crawling are the same ones who condemn those of us who use the roads as they are designed.
Fact is Cops and the state of VA are very ticky tacky, if not downright dishonest and cheap, they don't do enough to keep roads up to handle traffic flow, yet the few times they do and the rate of traffic moves at a good pace there they are like ambulance chasers at a car wreck there to collect money, appear like they are doing work, and give us the 'holyier than sh*t we protect you" riot act.

It is an absolute joke.

I am all for protection but being a Criminal Justice major nothing upsets like the hypocritical, overzealous statues like those in backwards states like VA.
I truly wish sometimes legislatures who enact these laws would be taken hostage by some align power because they would do us all a public service in taking them from us.
The voters and public of VA share the blame for allowing this to occur.

In VA they aren't smart on crime, they want to appear tough, but not smart.
Go after the real criminals if you mean to stop crime, 72 in a 50 isn't wreckless or criminal, playing "race" is and to group people going 21 over in the same category is pure ticky tacky horsesh*t, and don't tell me it's the law.

It's the law, blah blah, going over 1 mph breaks the law, you'd be amazed at what is on the books.
That is the lamest excuse and it gets overused misapporpriately so much it is almost lumped into the same category as terrorism, we're bored with that line of junk.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,330,666 times
You'd never defend your country because you don't like Virginia's traffic laws?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,744,393 times
Sounds like someone got a ticket and is still bitter. They don't just make up things on the spot, mate. They actually have statistics and records for the reasoning behind the laws. What you consider reasonable, however, seems to be purely from personal standards without research or backup documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia