Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,579 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a first year teacher looking to relocate from Michigan to Virginia this August. I have accepted a position in Northumberland County, so I'd like to stay within 40min of Heathsville. I've looked at Tappahannock and Kilmarnock as possible places to live. I'm looking to rent an apartment by myself in one of those areas and I can spend between $500-$1,000 a month in rent. I'm looking for a nice neighborhood where I'm not too far from shopping, restaurants, and places to go biking/jogging. Any ideas?? It's so tough trying to research this area on the internet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,783 times
Smile Advice from a fellow resident of Northumberland

I have lived in Northumberland County my entire life. I graduated from Northumberland High School even.

A few words of wisdom: Tappahannock and Kilmarnock are a fair distance from Heathsville. But no matter what you do you won't be near any kind of shopping or anything, so if you're hoping for a mall or something--well, there isn't one. There is a Wal Mart in Tappahannock, and there will be a Wal Mart in Kilmarnock in the next year. That's about as good as it gets. We have the bare minimum everywhere else: grocery stores, etc. Restaurants are ok. There are good restaurants in Tappahannock, Callao, Burgess, Reedville, and Kilmarnock.

There really aren't any public parks or anything to bike or jog, but it is such a rural area that you can do either of those things on the numerous back country roads in the area.

But despite the lack of shopping, etc, it really is a great place to live!! I suggest it to anyone!!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,579 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,650 times
Default a few more details

Hi!

First, I am a local real estate agent, working out of Wicomico Church. You can find Northern Neck info at my website, www.bayardk.com.

Second, apartments are almost non-existent. The best place to find house rentals is at the Rappahannock Record. Go to www.rrecord.com and check out their classifieds. The Northumberland Echo is a smaller paper based in Heathsville, but there are no online ads. You can subscribe at www.northumberlandecho.com.

A third approach is to make a list of town names and google "<name> rentals" one at a time.

Heathsville is on Route 360 on the northern (Potomac) edge of the Neck. 360 heads west to Callao where it cuts over to the southern (Rappahannock) edge of the Neck at Warsaw and Tappahannock. Those two towns are the most populated and commercial areas (shopping, restaurants) on the Neck. Tappahannock could be as far as 45 minutes from Heathsville schools, depending on what part of that region you mean.

Kilmarnock is on the southern (Rappahannock) edge of the Neck. It, too, could be 30-45 minutes from Heathsville depending on the exact property location. WalMart is under construction in Kilmarnock now, and other businesses are following. Kilmarnock does not feel as busy/commercial as Tappahanock.

Kilmarnock has two grocery stores, a McDonalds, a KFC, a Subway, and some non-chain restaurants. Heathsville has one grocery store, Subway, and one or two small non-chain restaurants. Tappahannock has more of everything.

Reedville is the easternmost point of Route 360 and closer to Heathsville than Kilmarnock or Tappahannock; consider any rentals you find there, or in intermediate areas such as Burgess. Edwardsville, Ophelia, Horse Head, and Lottsburg are also close to Heathsville.

You can also cut across the Neck from Heathsville to the southern side and reach Lancaster (aka Lancaster Courthouse). Miskimon and Lively are along that corridor.

Send me an email from my website. If you're going to be in the area, let me know - I can show you maps and more information at the office.

Welcome!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 35,846 times
Smile Northumberland County

Greetings, all.

Congratulations to the new teacher -- I bet you're really excited! What subject do you teach? As a fellow midwesterner (WI) and never having been to VA, I would ask other forum members what sorts of social activities there are, especially for newcomers, and what the social climate offers. For instance, are people welcoming? Is it easy to become part of the community?

Good luck with the new job!

Last edited by chasseresse; 02-26-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 35,846 times
Mea culpa -- I misread the date for redmonte. Still, if any forum members can add insight to Northumberland Co., that would be great!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 12,890 times
Default Update

I was wondering how this worked out for this young teacher. I am looking at a potential move to this area and like her would want to rent and not buy a house at first, hard to find on the internet.
The information given by the two locals was very helpful but this was two years ago, what is going on now with the impact of the national economy, on such small towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia