Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over on 460 west near Blue Ridge today.. My dumb self blank my lights at east bound traffic to warn them of a state trooper hiding in the median and another statey saw me.. As soon as I saw that unmarked impala I knew I was getting caught sure enough he U-turned and pulled me over. He scared me enough to where I wont do that again! At least he didnt give me a ticket!!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Not saying people don't sometimes get pulled over for "doing nothing", but that happens far less than you think: as an officer, if you don't have an articulable reason to make a vehicle stop, it will be your butt in a sling in court.
Well ... it depends on the jurisdiction really. In corrupt areas, I think cops get away with this garbage. I've heard horror stories about certain parts of Virginia, but nothing has ever happened to me personally. (Though, I drive as if there are pins and needles under my car in Emporia so that probably helps). However, I have my own horror story in rural Georgia.

In Braselton, GA, I got stopped once for "drifting over the fog line". I was driving 5 under the limit, had no vehicle issues, and got pulled over anyway. The cop actually drove right alongside of my vehicle for a mile while (very obviously) staring over at me to see what I looked like. Apparently, I fit the description of a drug dealer --- old beat up car, sleeveless shirt, and a bandana on my head to keep my hair back. Of course, I was only wearing these clothes because it was mid-summer and my car's air conditioning was terrible and I was doing a long road-trip.

In any case, cop pulled me over and asked me if I had been drinking or taking any drugs. I said no. He went through a laundry list of every drug known to man. He then started asking patently ridiculous questions such as "any dead bodies in the car?" and "if I open the glove compartment, will any knives fly out at me?" They then forced me to do all the DUI tests. When I asked if I had passed, they refused to answer and instead said, "well ... you ... uhhh ... didn't overwhelming exceed the requirements".

Then, they told me unless I agreed to allow them to search my car, they wouldn't let me go and would have to arrest me for DUI. The entire episode was complete BS. I hadn't taken any drugs at all and wasn't driving erratically. They just thought I looked like a drug dealer.

They also refused to provide me with their names. Guess that's rather convenient.

I agree that most police are good citizens trying to protect the public; but then you have scumbags like the ones I encountered that often give people a negative perception and fear of the police. It's unfortunate. I wish states like Virginia and Georgia would do more to crack down on corruption. (I don't see it as often in other Southern states I've driven through.)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
lol - that has to be emporia. You lost the moment the lights came on behind you. When traveling there it's best to do 5- 10mph under the speed limit. They'll get you even if you creep into 1 digit over.
How would that help? If the officer is corrupt enough to lie, it doesn't matter what speed you drive.

In my opinion, Virginia condones raising funds through traffic ticket scams, which speaks to the ethics of state government as a whole. Complaining will do no good.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zax_mom View Post
Why can't people just do the speed limit? Not criticizing, just observing.
All that does is encourage dishonest police officers to lie about the speed you were going.

These towns have to raise a certain amount in ticket revenues. They will do or say whatever needs to be said to raise that amount of money.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 31,392 times
We were leaving West Palm Beach Florida the end of Feb. We were pulled over for going 28 in a 20 mile an hr. zone. The fine amount was not on the ticket. When we got home we called the WPB police dept. to inquire about the fine. She said it was $141. We sent it off to them. About 60 days later we received a letter with our check saying the officer did not fill it out correct and they could no longer keep our check. Then about 2 months later we receved a letter from a collection agency saying we welched on the ticket and we owed $205. We again called the county clerk. She said the fine was $141. and the officer still has not corrected it. We have heard of this happening from a show on T.V. I think more people should be made aware of this.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times
I agree.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times
im currently passing through this lovely state and i cringe and count every mile that takes me closer to salvation....... aka the state line. i would rather be stuck in LA traffic than drive on VA roads.

you people really need to fix your laws. its about time

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 PM

60 posts, read 217,678 times
If you think something shady is going on with the ticketing in certain parts of VA, everyone SHOULD complain. Some of you say what good will complaining do, but if the same complaints start showing up more and more..always the same thing, its bound to get noticed. The media loves to do stories on scandals and corruption.

Or try to set them up with a hidden camera in the car that is set on your speedometer and turn it on every time you go through problem areas in VA. LOL Seriously, it's one thing if you are really speeding. But if they are LYING about you speeding, all bets are off.

I say this, and I am a cop myself. People that do that shouldnt be cops.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times
This is Virginia people here too just too conservative to care. I see threads like this being posted every week if not more and I would be shocked if something *is* ever done.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 131,228 times
Could the RICO statues be used? Sounds like enough people are involved. Cops, Judges, Commonwealth Attorneys and probably the county board of supervisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia