Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 10,279 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems Emporia, VA and Green County "Got Me". I was traveling on I-95 at mile marker 16 and Green County SO was setting in the center median and they stopped me for going 81 in a 70 zone. I was in a rental car with Maryland plates and a new resident (within one year) to VA. I currently live in northern VA. I had no clue that traveling over 80 mph was reckless driving and it appears that fatal mistake is going to potentially cost me dearly.I have also received numerous letters from law firms wanting to represent me and they obviously obtained my information through public disclosure because I know that I didn't contact their offices.

#1 Yes, this area is definitely a speed trap
#2 I think the law enforcement officers are intentionally pursuing out-of-state plates on vehicles
#3 Yes, the county and town are in on the racket and your odds are stacked against you if you go to trial.

So, my dilemma is what is the best way to proceed? My research shows that the ticket stays on your record for 11 years. I think that’s a little severe for doing 11 mph over the speed limit. I have a little time to stew over what I will do but it’s interesting to see that this is just not a single issue or just one traffic citation. You can see from all the posts that this is definitely a scam to collect revenue but I am not sure that what the county and city are doing is against the law and it will be hard to prove.

Post your thoughts. I am interested to see what the masses have to say. I am sure there are lawyers out there reading this. Weigh in and give some input.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 53,028 times
Mike321,
Just go to court on your court date and the judge will drop it to a lesser charge. You will still have to pay the whole amount, but at least it wont be reckless driving. He did this many times while I was at court. They just want your money. The judge makes this speech at the beginning of court about how the officers check the radar guns before and after going on duty, object to this. Unless they produce the records of such checking, then that is inadmissible as hear-say. The judge can not make such a blanket statement, there are a million different things that affect radar guns.
Send a Motion of Discover now. Ask for all the records, officers daily log, FCC licenses for them to operate a radar gun, and any and all other information. (There are different web sites that give you better information on what to ask for) you are entitled to all this information. Fight them!
If you start asking the officer questions (which is your right), the judge will say something like "Are you questioning this Highly Trained Officer's word/decision?" Object to this as hear-say. Unless they produce documentation on how the officer was trained.
Ohh, and one last thing, GOOD LUCK. Keep us updated.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 10,202 times
I agree with Out_of -State.

I was recently wrongfully cited by Emporia police. While traveling in the far right lane, preparing to exit in half a mile for a much needed rest room break, I spotted the marked police car on the left in the authorized vehicle pass through on the left. I proceded to reduce speed and take the exit ramp. I pulled trhough a gas station and up to a diner to run in to grab a cofee and use the ladies room. I looked up and see this police car (lights flashing) pulling through the gas station. (Not thinking he was after me!!!!???) He commenced to pull up and block me in the parking space. I was half out the car but once I realized he was interested in me I put my leg back in the car, shut the door and rolled my window down. He stated the normal "do you know why I am pulling you over?" WHY DO POLICE ASK THIS STUPID QUESTION....JUST STATE URE FREAKIN BUSINESS YOU'RE GONNA DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ANYWAY!!!!...I stated....No sir? He stated going 86 in a 70 mile zone. The word LIAR! almost fell out of my mouth but instead I said HOW!! when a. I saw you, I am not gonna speed past you and b. I was reducing speed to exit and c. You did not pull me over I am parked. He said mam, I clearly clocked you on my radar. Never having recieved a speeding ticket and not even understanding the seriousness of the infraction....the officer asked me for lisence and registration and I said..ok ok whatever I will deal with this later, but while your doing that can I run to the rest room and he agreed. (They are so NICE/NASTY) When I came out the diner he had my paperwork all ready for me to sign the bogus citation and bid me a good day!

I will be humbly appearing in court. I think that humility is important when dealing with public figures, because they are so disconnected as they deal in mass #'s.

I have done alot of research. In addition to what has already been suggested, utilize your one continuance especially if you are out of state, more folks must be fighting these bogus tickets because my citation was in Dec, My original court date was January and my continuance bought me a little over another month. Times are hard nobody has money to be giving away to Emporia, VA. Call the court clerk...I know the system sucks but the folks there are really helpful, polite and informative. (They probably sense or even know of the wide spread corruption and feel bad on a personal level.) I was targeted due to my out of state tags, make and model of my car (luxery, sports coupe V8 with tints), meanwhile VA drivers with their NON DRIVING SELVES speed by me. It's truly disgusting. Futhermore speed does not soley cause accidents, there must be other factors that's why there are less car accidents in Europe and internationally in general. (I digress)

One more thing I must stress DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT hire an attorney UNLESS you have a poor driving record (alot of speeding or DUI's). I would definately say DO NOT hire Atty Andrew Weaver; in addition to poor listening skills after calling 8 other attorneys in the area he was at least $100 more than all the others. Bunch of scammers the lot of em!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike321 View Post
Well, it seems Emporia, VA and Green County "Got Me". I was traveling on I-95 at mile marker 16 and Green County SO was setting in the center median and they stopped me for going 81 in a 70 zone. I was in a rental car with Maryland plates and a new resident (within one year) to VA. I currently live in northern VA. I had no clue that traveling over 80 mph was reckless driving and it appears that fatal mistake is going to potentially cost me dearly.I have also received numerous letters from law firms wanting to represent me and they obviously obtained my information through public disclosure because I know that I didn't contact their offices.

#1 Yes, this area is definitely a speed trap
#2 I think the law enforcement officers are intentionally pursuing out-of-state plates on vehicles
#3 Yes, the county and town are in on the racket and your odds are stacked against you if you go to trial.

So, my dilemma is what is the best way to proceed? My research shows that the ticket stays on your record for 11 years. I think that’s a little severe for doing 11 mph over the speed limit. I have a little time to stew over what I will do but it’s interesting to see that this is just not a single issue or just one traffic citation. You can see from all the posts that this is definitely a scam to collect revenue but I am not sure that what the county and city are doing is against the law and it will be hard to prove.

Post your thoughts. I am interested to see what the masses have to say. I am sure there are lawyers out there reading this. Weigh in and give some input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyeyes View Post
I agree with Out_of -State.

I was recently wrongfully cited by Emporia police. While traveling in the far right lane, preparing to exit in half a mile for a much needed rest room break, I spotted the marked police car on the left in the authorized vehicle pass through on the left. I proceded to reduce speed and take the exit ramp. I pulled trhough a gas station and up to a diner to run in to grab a cofee and use the ladies room. I looked up and see this police car (lights flashing) pulling through the gas station. (Not thinking he was after me!!!!???) He commenced to pull up and block me in the parking space. I was half out the car but once I realized he was interested in me I put my leg back in the car, shut the door and rolled my window down. He stated the normal "do you know why I am pulling you over?" WHY DO POLICE ASK THIS STUPID QUESTION....JUST STATE URE FREAKIN BUSINESS YOU'RE GONNA DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ANYWAY!!!!...I stated....No sir? He stated going 86 in a 70 mile zone. The word LIAR! almost fell out of my mouth but instead I said HOW!! when a. I saw you, I am not gonna speed past you and b. I was reducing speed to exit and c. You did not pull me over I am parked. He said mam, I clearly clocked you on my radar. Never having recieved a speeding ticket and not even understanding the seriousness of the infraction....the officer asked me for lisence and registration and I said..ok ok whatever I will deal with this later, but while your doing that can I run to the rest room and he agreed. (They are so NICE/NASTY) When I came out the diner he had my paperwork all ready for me to sign the bogus citation and bid me a good day!

I will be humbly appearing in court. I think that humility is important when dealing with public figures, because they are so disconnected as they deal in mass #'s.

I have done alot of research. In addition to what has already been suggested, utilize your one continuance especially if you are out of state, more folks must be fighting these bogus tickets because my citation was in Dec, My original court date was January and my continuance bought me a little over another month. Times are hard nobody has money to be giving away to Emporia, VA. Call the court clerk...I know the system sucks but the folks there are really helpful, polite and informative. (They probably sense or even know of the wide spread corruption and feel bad on a personal level.) I was targeted due to my out of state tags, make and model of my car (luxery, sports coupe V8 with tints), meanwhile VA drivers with their NON DRIVING SELVES speed by me. It's truly disgusting. Futhermore speed does not soley cause accidents, there must be other factors that's why there are less car accidents in Europe and internationally in general. (I digress)

One more thing I must stress DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT hire an attorney UNLESS you have a poor driving record (alot of speeding or DUI's). I would definately say DO NOT hire Atty Andrew Weaver; in addition to poor listening skills after calling 8 other attorneys in the area he was at least $100 more than all the others. Bunch of scammers the lot of em!
GOOD GOLLY! Doesn't anyone read what to do with a traffic ticket !!!! Woops sorry about that ! but really everyone PLS . all anyone has to do no matter what state you live in or how you got the ticket PLS. stand up for your rights DEMAND a verified complaint ! If they refuse they have violated your right to due process Title 42, 1983. It's as simple as that . people have been getting tickets dismissed daily all over the country with this demand . By doing this you take the action out of the local court and force the to honor you constitutional rights. you know its bu** sh** , you know there just out there for the money , fight before tey take all your rights away. Thanks to those that are not afraid to. fight rather then just complain

Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,228 times
Quote:
all anyone has to do no matter what state you live in or how you got the ticket PLS. stand up for your rights DEMAND a verified complaint ! If they refuse they have violated your right to due process Title 42, 1983. It's as simple as that . people have been getting tickets dismissed daily all over the country with this demand .!
This is incorrect. A speeding ticket IS a complaint. One that gives you the option of settling out of court.

The alternative would be to have an officer stop you, just to jot down your name and address, then present his "case" to a prosecutor later on. That prosecutor would then then file charges against you in court, for which you would HAVE to appear. Not the easiest way to deal with what's arguably the most common petty offense in a country of 280 million people...

Tickets being dismissed "all over the country" because the ticket isn't a legal complaint and, thus, the driver's constitutional rights were somehow violated? No.

Tickets are surely dismissed regularly, and for a variety of reasons. Depends on the circumstances of each individual case. But 42 USC 1983 is used almost exclusively in civil rights violation cases or where an officer acts outside his or her authority - i.e. they do something OTHER THAN make a legal traffic stop and issue a valid citation.

But in a routine traffic stop where the officer acts properly and within the scope of the law, 42 USC 1983 probably isn't going to help the driver - unless his attorney is Johnny Cochrane...or Jackie Childs...

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 10,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitephpcoder View Post
I was recently a victim of a police traffic ticket scam.

I was going through Eufaula oklahoma through a known area where police sit on the side of the road, I was going the speed limit.

When i passed the police car, I made sure I was going the speed limit. Also note that my radar detector was dead silent meaning they didnt even have there radar on.

When i got between the 45 and 55 sign, and was approaching the 55 sign the police pulled out waited for about 4-5 seconds and then pinged me with Ka band radar, which registered as a 1 on my radar (which goes from 1 - 5 in radar strength, 1 being the weakest). As soon as they pinged me one time they speed up real fast and pulled me over and tried to claim that I was didnt 50 in a 35.

What they didnt realize is that I have a radar detector in my car and immediately knew they were trying to pull a scam on me, they waited for me to get into the 55 and pinged me with there radar just to get a reading!

Then they pulled me over and claimed i was speeding and they have so called "PROOF" that i was speeding.

Oh god I wish I had a camera in my car and was recording everything. Including my radar detector because then I could prove my case and that they are lie scamming pieces of **** that call them self's police officers.

Im going to plead not guilty and fight this **** on principle, and ill most likely lose. But you know what? Im just getting started.

I recently purchased: thepolicescammed.us

And im building a forum along with some tracking applications using googles API that will allow people to make reports on the locations of where they were being scammed at. As well as database system for tracking ("cities of concern") financial statuses and a ("motive level") for perpetrating fraud against unsuspecting citizens via fraudulent traffic citations.

Im a seasoned web developer and this is the only way I know how to fight back. I will be building the site in my own time. The site will be dedicated to providing information on how to fight back, how to report it and a mini-documentary i am making.

I am following the police around now with a radar detector and a video recorder plugged into my laptop transmitting a live feed to a remote server via cellular wireless/aircard.

Im doing it this way incase they attempt to plant something in my car or confiscate my equipment.

Im going to catch them in the act and when I do im going to sue the **** out of the city and make sure this story gets on the evening news.
I wish someone would create something that will prove how we are all being taken to the bank...Someone needs to do something. I wish I knew how to create a site-I certainly would. These cops are out of control and there seems to be no justice with the judges either...Truley a broken system.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 28,494 times
I've gotten my first ticket in decades on Highway 58. Brunswick County to be exact. They pride themselves on giving tickets.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,969 times
I am also lucky enough to have recieved a reckless driving speeding ticket in Emporia this past weekend traveling back to Ct. Funny that you all seem to agree they target out of state drivers since atleast 3 Va cars flew by me and the cop and then they pulled me over going much slower then any of them. The cop said he got me going 83 in a 70 which i know i was not. Basically I know I will need a lawyer to fight this and I am looking for a refferal since I am not from Va. I want to avoid having to go back to deal with this but need to make sure I get someone reliable!!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjmsmith1 View Post
I am also lucky enough to have recieved a reckless driving speeding ticket in Emporia this past weekend traveling back to Ct. Funny that you all seem to agree they target out of state drivers since atleast 3 Va cars flew by me and the cop and then they pulled me over going much slower then any of them. The cop said he got me going 83 in a 70 which i know i was not. Basically I know I will need a lawyer to fight this and I am looking for a refferal since I am not from Va. I want to avoid having to go back to deal with this but need to make sure I get someone reliable!!!!
I'm confused. you were driving 13 mph over the limit. What was the basis for the reckless charge?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I'm confused. you were driving 13 mph over the limit. What was the basis for the reckless charge?
I believe in Virginia anything over 80 is an automatic reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia